Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Just rented "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...Pleasantly surprised!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-09-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first saw the previews a while back (was not familliar with the graphic novel) I thought " Oh boy, here's another movie trying to ca$h in on the X-men thing... I'll pass".

And I was wrong. It was really cool to see some known figures from litterature teaming up (Quartermain, Dorian Gray, Nina, Dr Jeckyll) although I wasn't familiar with the invisible guy or the sheik pirate, he reminded me of the fork-throwing Hank Azaria in Mystery Men heh).

Cool concept, good action, overall a great popcorn movie.

My only gripe is with the ending,
Spoiler:
when the african shamans are singing and Quartermain's grave starts to rumble.... I can imagine him coming out zombie-like with a mouthfull of dirt and saying "I am back!!"

Do you guys think there will be a sequel?
Old 03-09-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be in movie talk.
Old 03-09-04, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oops sorry my mistake, coz I rented the dvd heh.
Old 03-09-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree, it was much better than the reviews that I read.
Old 03-09-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Just rented "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...Pleasantly surprised!!

Originally posted by Josh
When I first saw the previews a while back (was not familliar with the graphic novel) I thought " Oh boy, here's another movie trying to ca$h in on the X-men thing... I'll pass".

And I was wrong. It was really cool to see some known figures from litterature teaming up (Quartermain, Dorian Gray, Nina, Dr Jeckyll) although I wasn't familiar with the invisible guy or the sheik pirate, he reminded me of the fork-throwing Hank Azaria in Mystery Men heh).

Cool concept, good action, overall a great popcorn movie.

My only gripe is with the ending,
Spoiler:
when the african shamans are singing and Quartermain's grave starts to rumble.... I can imagine him coming out zombie-like with a mouthfull of dirt and saying "I am back!!"

Do you guys think there will be a sequel?
Sequel? I doubt it. This movie, while I wouldn't say it out right bombed, performed quite poorly comercially. It was a 100 plus mil movie, only grossing so much money.

Why is this movie so slagged upon? Well that's pretty simple...it's based on source material (graphic novel) that's just so much better than this film. While I admit the film was amusing, you can't honestly say the movie has good character development, and you definately can't say this film has its story as a strong point. To take good course material and end up with mindless guilty pleasure material will always be...disapointing to those original fans.

And you don't know who the invisible man is? Granted his name was changed for the film. But you don't know who Captain Nemo is? From 20,000 leagues under the sea? It's nemo man! They named a damn fish after him? Heh, anyway...
Old 03-09-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was fun, thought the comic was better.
Old 03-10-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it nearly made my head explode through sheer stupidity and lack of any redeeming values whatsoever. The comics rule though, as does everything Alan Moore does.
Old 03-10-04, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Putting aside the comic for a moment - the movie is a titanic piece of shit in it's own right. Tom Sawer - who has never even SEEN a car before - is a master race car driver? A sub the size of a battleship can sail the canals of Venice? Or that the Thames river is deep enough to allow that battleship sized sub to submerge? And what the hell was up with the domino effect in Venice, and the solution to stop said effect - completly ilogical.

And I wept when Captain Nemo started busting out the Kung Fu.
Old 03-10-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They might make a sequel because the movie made a great deal of money internationally.
Old 03-10-04, 08:27 AM
Banned

If Alan Moore has any say about it, there probably won't be a sequel. He's very protective of his works, so I'm surprised that he signed a contract that gave the producers this much lattitude with his book.

I'll never understand why Hollywood execs are surprised when a movie bombs like LXG. They take a comic book, with a built-in fan base, and then proceed to change the story in a way that's guaranteed to alienate that fan base, thus destroying the main block they were depending on to buy tickets and tell people how good the film is.

And these Hollywood execs have the nerve to act surprised when the movie tanks, and they say the reason it tanked is because people don't want to see a comic book movie.

And to fryingpan1, do you have a link to how much the movie made overseas?

I don't think that what it made matters unless it brought in serious cash. Like cash proportionate to what LotR brought in internationally compared to the domestic take. It'd take that much success to hopefully overcome the legion of people that shelled out their money for the first turkey and will never come back.

Last edited by JestersTear; 03-10-04 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW -- Rottentomatoes.com rates this one very low.
Old 03-10-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here are some LXG links that indicate a sequel could be on the way:

Total Gross: $66,465,204 + Overseas Gross: $112.8 million
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ygentlemen.htm

LXG Sequel to Film in Australia?
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/5...tem_id=3247730

Mina Harker to Take Charge in LXG2?
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/5...tem_id=3135417
Old 03-10-04, 01:29 PM

i watched it over the weekend....quite enjoyed it
Old 03-10-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
The thing I least liked about the movie was the editing. I don't know if it was cut to be like the comic (I have never read the comic), but it was very anoying.
Old 03-10-04, 02:47 PM

the directory commentary said at the end of the movie that there be sequel coming.
Old 03-10-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Just rented "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"...Pleasantly surprised!!

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Sequel? I doubt it. This movie, while I wouldn't say it out right bombed, performed quite poorly comercially. It was a 100 plus mil movie, only grossing so much money.

Dude, anything can happen...

I rest my case.
Old 03-10-04, 03:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I absolutely loved the film (and the DVD extras), but then I never read the comic book.
Old 03-10-04, 03:32 PM

I liked the movie. The only thing I really didn't like was the ugly CGI used for Hyde. I would have preferred a character that was sightly bigger, stronger, more primal looking than Jekel as opposed to a "Banner -> Hulk" change.

I would also had prefered a different "American" character instead of Tom Sawyer, I don't know who, I just didn't care for the relationship between Quartermain and Sawyer.
Old 03-10-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the comic, Hyde was massively huge compared to Jekyll, even moreso than the difference between Banner and the Hulk.

I didn't really like that in the comic either, but I just mean to point out that the movie mirrored the book in this case. Just sayin'.

Only possible alternate American character I can think of right now is Melville's Ishmael, or Poe's Inspector Dupin.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 03-10-04 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
it's an ok popcorn movie, nothing more.
Old 03-10-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I was also pleasantly surprised with this. I just ordered the "Ultimate Edition" here in Japan and can hardly wait to enjoy it in DTS glory.
Old 03-10-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cross
I liked the movie. The only thing I really didn't like was the ugly CGI used for Hyde. I would have preferred a character that was sightly bigger, stronger, more primal looking than Jekel as opposed to a "Banner -> Hulk" change.

Well maybe for that character they should've actually used CGI. While I admit it wasn't that good looking, you can blame prosthetics for that...CG was only used to scale the size of the character, otehrwise it was a big freakin suit.

Sorry to nitpick...I just see Hyde used a lot as a reason why people hate CGI...when he's not...CGI.
Old 03-10-04, 07:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Only possible alternate American character I can think of right now is Melville's Ishmael, or Poe's Inspector Dupin.
What about H.P. Lovecraft's Herbert West...oh wait...
Old 03-11-04, 12:52 AM
Suspended

I liked LXG a lot too. The reason there's bad reviews is when someone likes something, they like it and might tell some buddies about it, but when someone doesn't like something they gotta post all over the internet and spout self important drivel just begging for people to share their opinions and re-read their posts hourly just hoping for a conflicting viewpoint to flame someone about

I dunno how well a sequel will work, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of the vampire lady
Old 03-11-04, 06:17 PM
Banned

I loved the comic and I loved the movie for different reasons. I'm not even gonna qualify why (except to say that while I liked the Hulk, I loved the Hyde effect. Not the super Hyde one though).

I know they didn't go with the cavorite story from book one, but if they could get away with doing the martian invasion (rights and licensing I mean) I would be STOKED! Hell, they foreshadowed it in a pan scene ("lights on Mars may be volcanoes" poster)
They will have to replace Quatermain, though. Connery would never do another one of these.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.