Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Futuristic War or Medieval War? *MxR & ROTK spoiler image*

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: hello
The Matrix Revolutions
25.45%
The Return of the King
74.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-04, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Matrix Revolutions

The Return of the King

Which of these war scenes do you like more personally?

Last edited by aaryn; 03-08-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-08-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They both have their pluses. Return of the King wins this better jsut cause I think RoTK is a better film, but I'm still a Matrix fan, Revolutions included
Old 03-08-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im of the feeling that the Battle for Zion is every bit as good as the ones in ROTK.
Old 03-08-04, 07:22 PM
Suspended

In the Lord of the Rings wars, I never had a doubt that the humans would come out on top (in these types of stories they never lose). I also never felt that the bad guys were ever really winning during the war. In the Matrix, I thought it was more tense because it wasn't clear who would win, and the bad guys were slaughtering Zion for a while. In LOTR, it seemed like they primarily showed the orcs being killed. Matrix loses points because of the 5,000 cheesy reaction shots during the battle.
Old 03-08-04, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The horrible cliches in Revolutions ruins some primo FX...
Old 03-08-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Just from the shots? Easily The Matrix Revolutions. To bad the actual movie sucks.

And I just didn't like the fake look that Revolutions had. However, Retrun of the King blended CG and physical effects together very well. I'm not saying that the CG looks real. But it was plenty to suspend my belief, and 'wow me' at the same time.

I sorta' agree with CitizenkaneRBud. I knew it was going to be a
Spoiler:
happy ending
to some extent. Can't that be expected 99% of the time? But I was much more worried (and terrified, actually) about Frodo and Sam. I've never read the books, and was so-sure that
Spoiler:
Frodo and Sam would not make it. Even after they made it out onto the rock, I saw sure that nobody would rescue them.
Old 03-08-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The battle ends too pat for me once the dead army shows up in ROTK, no suspense and too easy.
Old 03-08-04, 09:36 PM

What I liked about The Battle of Pelenor Field was that there were always newcomers to the battle. It was Mordor Orcs vs Gondor Soldiers.. then Nazguls came, then Rohan, then Elephants, then Corsair, then Aragon and the Army of the Dead, then the Eagles.

Althought, I agree that the Army of Dead kinda ruined it all. They looked cheesy also.
Old 03-08-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw the Zion Matrix battle in IMAX--impressive as it was, it didn't have the cohesiveness, the emotion, and the thrill of the Pellenor fields.

I mean, when the Rohirrim charged, I almost wanted to get up on my feet! THAT is greatness.
Old 03-08-04, 11:40 PM

The Battle for Zion was far more visually stunning and exciting than ROTK's batle. There were parts of the Battle of Pelenor Fields that looked too CG. I guess I felt that it was just more of the same from Two Towers. Just more computer generated massive armies.
Old 03-09-04, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another plus for me is you saw blood in Revolutions, you saw people cut up and left for dead, yeah I know it was R as opposed to PG-13 but it made a difference to me, you felt the pain.
Old 03-09-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, sorry, the lack of blood during battle/war scenes lowers the realism factor for me and distracts me. Imagine Saving Private Ryan as a PG13. Old school fighting, I'll take the battles in Braveheart over the LOTR films anyday and in this particular case I still prefer futuristic battles.
Old 03-09-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Depends on what you prefer: machine guns with a thousand bullets or swords, axes, and bow & arrows.

I prefer the latter. It is just more brutal. Even with a lack of blood.

And like posted above, I agree Revolutions was more intense just because you had no idea how it would end. Whereas in LOTR the good guys always win.

I have to vote LOTR even though I loved both films.
Old 03-09-04, 11:55 AM
Suspended

ROTK on MxR
Old 03-09-04, 12:13 PM
Suspended

I'm one of the few that liked Revolutions, the big battle scene was just flat out awesome. But, I had to give a nudge to ROTK because it was just even bigger and better. In fact I don't think there's any other "battle scene" for any movie that even comes close to the big battle in ROTK.
Old 03-09-04, 06:56 PM

One thing that matters most to me is, do i care if the characters make it? ROTK had me welling up with emotion in many places, and I cared a great deal for the characters. As for Matrix Rev, well, I was never a fan of The Matrix, so I was not really enchanted with this battle, even if it looked kinda cool. Didnt feel like I had a whole lot invested into the MR characters, but I am sure a fan would feel differently.
Old 03-09-04, 06:59 PM
Banned

Revolutions sucked in all known ways. Bored me to death with all it's supposedly deep thoughts and endlessly redundent effects.

Last edited by Pants; 03-10-04 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-09-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the Zion battle more than the final battle in ROTK. Liked some people said previously, there is a sense of peril in the Zion battle that is sadly lacking in the ROTK battle.
Old 03-09-04, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Pants
Revolutions sucked in all known ways. Bored me to death with all it's supposedly deap thoughts and endlessly redundent effects.
Redundant effects = ROTK
Old 03-09-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How can an effect be redundant? Either it does its job or it doesn't, so I can't see how that would work. BTW, I liked both films and their respective effects for different reasons.

Last edited by FinkPish; 03-09-04 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-09-04, 09:41 PM
Banned

I enjoyed ROTK more simply because a new gargantuan effect (catapults flinging hunks of castle to fleshy ATATs) was introduced for every round. Whereas MR was relentless tracer rounds and blue steel scrubbin' bubbles.
Old 03-10-04, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I don't understand all of the "no suspense" comments. What is this a football game. Is the outcome of the battle/movie that important? We know what happens to the Nazis in SavingPR, that doesn't make the battle scenes any less intense. I wasn't watching the battle thinking oooh I wonder who will win. I knew exactly what was going to happen (in LotR) but was still totally engrossed in what was happening on screen.

Both movies had that quality, but Return of the King was much more cinematic then Revolutions.

I said wow during the Zion battle but was totally speechless during Pellenor fields. Besides I like my SciFi battles in space, or at least in snow
Old 03-10-04, 02:56 AM

I don't get what all of the raving was about ROTK's special effects. Really, when I saw it in the theaters, I literally thought that they just decided to take it easy a bit. The live action was terribly integrated with the CGI. Every time a human was in front of CGI, the background had this awful fuzzy, out of focus look to it. The stuff in the first two films seemed a lot more convincing and well-integrated.
Old 03-10-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tanman
I don't understand all of the "no suspense" comments. What is this a football game. Is the outcome of the battle/movie that important? We know what happens to the Nazis in SavingPR, that doesn't make the battle scenes any less intense. I wasn't watching the battle thinking oooh I wonder who will win. I knew exactly what was going to happen (in LotR) but was still totally engrossed in what was happening on screen.
I don't know if "suspense" is the right word. My feeling was that at no point did I feel the Gondorians were losing the greater battle. I think the original orc attacks needed to be a bit longer to give a "siege" image to the battle, so that it looked as if Minas Tirith was desperate and running out of time quickly. Just IMO.

I also hated the Legolas/oliphant CGI - I think it was horribly done in comparison, and really hurt the battle as a whole. Even getting beyond the fuzziness, he looked as if he was levitating, not standing on it.
Old 03-10-04, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by FinkPish
How can an effect be redundant? Either it does its job or it doesn't, so I can't see how that would work. BTW, I liked both films and their respective effects for different reasons.
When one sentinal after another comes through a hole, flies around the room, and then gets shot by one of two dozen identical "robo warrior power suit" things, and this continues for 40 minutes, while Neo, the hero of the story, is all but forgotten, THAT'S what I mean by redundant.

I think the winner here is obvious. I can't believe we're even having this discussion, I thought everyone around here pretty much agreed that the Matrix sequals stunk.

Last edited by Pants; 03-10-04 at 11:54 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.