Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

NASCAR 3D (Imax feature) question

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-08-04, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking forward to this new Imax film since it is scheduled for release this Friday, one question, though. Here in DC, the film is advertised as "Nascar the Imax Experience" sans the 3D in the title (at the new Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum center's Imax screen). I would assume Warner's Bros (the distributor) has produced both 3D and 2D prints of the film for those theatres that can and cannot project Imax 3D films. Under this assumption, I assume that the print could quite possibly be 2D and not 3D. This is really annoying since the correct way to experience this film one would have to travel up to Baltimore's Science Center. I hope the prerelease ads are wrong, it would be ridiculous to think that the Smithsonian would outfit their two in-town theatres (Air & Space, Natural History museums) with 3D capabilities, and not their new third IMAX screen as such.

Here a link to the US theatres showcasing the film:

http://www.imax.com/racing/flash.html
Old 03-08-04, 12:51 PM

son of a monkey i have to go down to columbus to check this flick out. thats bogus.

anyone see the preview during arena football halftime on NBC? freakin rediculous.
Old 03-08-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was planning on seeing it this weekend too. The Udvar-Hazy Theater does have 3-D capability, but they're showing a 2-D print.
Old 03-08-04, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
I was planning on seeing it this weekend too. The Udvar-Hazy Theater does have 3-D capability, but they're showing a 2-D print.
any reason why? this angers and befuddles me to no avail.
Old 03-08-04, 01:25 PM

The girl I spoke to there didn't know. I'll try to call again later and speak to a manager. Definitely annoying.
Old 03-08-04, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by William Fuld
The girl I spoke to there didn't know. I'll try to call again later and speak to a manager. Definitely annoying.
please let me know what you find out, if and when you call back. Since I'm in New York this week, I might have to cave in and see it at Sony's Lincoln Square theatre.
Old 03-09-04, 04:28 PM

I spoke with the director of the theater division of the Smithsonian today and it turns out the Udvar-Hazy IMAX doesn't have 3-D capability after all.
Old 03-09-04, 04:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I caught a preview screening last night (in 3D). If you are a NASCAR fan you wil certainly enjoy this.

Now, for those of you having trouble locating the film in 3D, I would say it is still worth it to see in 2D.

While the racing and in car views are certainly enhanced by the 3D effect, I think it can still be enjoyed without it.

Basically it follows what teams do to get to raceday (from building/testing, pre-race meetings, qualifing and then on to raceday). Plus there's some brief history of how NASCAR came to be.

Spoiler:
Dale Sr's death is also touched upon and if you were a fan you will likely be moved by DW's reaction from the elation of Mikey winning to realizing that something is terribly wrong with Sr.
Old 03-17-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was blown away by this film. The 3D technology was impressive! I highly recommend it...
Old 03-17-04, 01:58 PM
Suspended

I want to see this. Have....to.....find......IMAX.
Old 03-17-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this in 3-D over the weekend. It was *astoundingly* good. There were a couple of very brief troublesome shots, but overall this was an excellent showcase for the potential of 3-D. The future of cinema can be glimpsed here, folks.

Seen in flat form the film would be just another documentary.

If you've never seen a real 3-D movie (red/blue junk like SPY KIDS does not count) seek this one out.

On the other hand, avoid OCEAN WONDERLAND in IMAX 3-D at all costs. It is horribly shot, and impossible to watch comfortably. The worst IMAX 3-D ever.

NASCAR 3-D is a MUST SEE, but only in 3-D.

BTW, if you are in Las Vegas, see the film at the new IMAX theatre at the Palms Hotel. They use the comfortable polarized glasses. The film is also playing at the older Luxor IMAX but that theatre should be avoided as it isn't a good environment at all. It's a converted ride film theatre and they use the clunky headset glasses. You also have no choice as to where you sit. 3-D doesn't work that well there because you are so close to the screen. The Palms IMAX is far superior...

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 03-17-04 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
I saw this in 3-D over the weekend. It was *astoundingly* good. There were a couple of very brief troublesome shots, but overall this was an excellent showcase for the potential of 3-D. The future of cinema can be glimpsed here, folks.

Seen in flat form the film would be just another documentary.

If you've never seen a real 3-D movie (red/blue junk like SPY KIDS does not count) seek this one out.

On the other hand, avoid OCEAN WONDERLAND in IMAX 3-D at all costs. It is horribly shot, and impossible to watch comfortably. The worst IMAX 3-D ever.

NASCAR 3-D is a MUST SEE, but only in 3-D.

BTW, if you are in Las Vegas, see the film at the new IMAX theatre at the Palms Hotel. They use the comfortable polarized glasses. The film is also playing at the older Luxor IMAX but that theatre should be avoided as it isn't a good environment at all. It's a converted ride film theatre and they use the clunky headset glasses. You also have no choice as to where you sit. 3-D doesn't work that well there because you are so close to the screen. The Palms IMAX is far superior...
actually the 3D segments of Spy Kids 3D in DLP format with polarized glasses, I saw last year were unbelievable - the ultra crisp picture was startling.

The Film Forum in New York City is showcasing Columbia 3D films every Thursday this month, for the next couple of weeks - complete with polarized glasses, not the standard red/blue ones. Saw "Drums of Tahiti" last week, which was probably the worst 3D, William Castle film ever. Didn't make it over to Lincoln Square to see the NASCAR film.. oh well.. (sigh).
Old 03-18-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Giles, you are one of the few who've seen SPY KIDS in a superior format. I envy you. I was just trying to make it understood we're not talking anaglyph with NASCAR.

Red/Blue glasses have never been "standard" for 3-D movies. Polarized are the standard, from the fifties until the present.

I saw DRUMS OF TAHITI at the World 3-D Film Expo last year and actually I found that one to have excellent stereoscopic cinematography. Actually all three of William Castle's 3-D films (the others being FORT TI and JESSE JAMES vs THE DALTONS) went over quite well.

Anyway, check out NASCAR for some amazing 3-D...
Old 03-18-04, 12:01 PM

Giles, you are one of the few who've seen SPY KIDS in a superior format. I envy you. I was just trying to make it understood we're not talking anaglyph with NASCAR.

Red/Blue glasses have never been "standard" for 3-D movies. Polarized are the standard, from the fifties until the present.

I saw DRUMS OF TAHITI at the World 3-D Film Expo last year and actually I found that one to have excellent stereoscopic cinematography. Actually all three of William Castle's 3-D films (the others being FORT TI and JESSE JAMES vs THE DALTONS) went over quite well.

Anyway, check out NASCAR for some amazing 3-D...
Oh I understand that the red/blue glasses are nonstandard, the eighties films I saw "Friday the 13th Part 3" "Legend of Orin" "House of Wax" (reissue), "Nightmare on Elm Street 3D sequence" and the latest: "Encounters in the 3rd Dimension" (IMAX feature) at the Syracuse Science Center I saw all using the red/blue glasses.

I wish had had the chance to see the films at the World 3-D Film Expo fest in LA last year, I do own the fun catalog that was published for the event.

As for "Drums" the story was painfully dull I could barely stay awake, no chemistry between the male-female leads. Terrible stock footage of volcanic lava flows. Sans two in your face effects and boat shots, Castle shot so little footage to convey depth or exploit the 3D field. The print that the Film Forum had received seemed 'soft', only at the film reel changes did the image become briefly sharp. At the Expo, was their an intermssion for "Drums"? I assume Columbia Pictures and the filmmakers purposefully added intermissions for the viewers to rest their eyes and reduce headaches.
Old 03-18-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you are mistaken about seeing anaglyph showings of HOUSE OF WAX, STARCHASER: THE LEGEND OF ORIN and FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3. These films have always been shown in polarized format only.

If you find FRIDAY glasses with red/blue lenses, these weren't for the film itself. They were included with a 3-D poster used to promote the film and also in the LP soundtrack album which had a 3-D cover.

A few test clips from HOUSE OF WAX were converted to anaglyph and were included in a 3-D TV special in the late 80s though.

The intermissions in the 50s films were necessary because most theatres only had 2 projectors, and since they were both used at the same time for dual projection 3-D, a break was required to change reels. They couldn't simply alternate as they did with normal flat films.

There was an intermission in all 35 of the features I saw at the 3-D expo.

DRUMS OF TAHITI is certainly a potboiler, but I still enjoyed it.

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 03-18-04 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 01:35 PM

I think you are mistaken about seeing anaglyph showings of HOUSE OF WAX, STARCHASER: THE LEGEND OF ORIN and FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3. These films have always been shown in polarized format only.
no, I know for a fact that the 1982 theatrical reissue of "House of Wax" presentation I saw was anaglyph.

I would assume that depending on the theatre you either saw a anaglyph or polarized version of the film. Case in point: I saw both "Encounters in the 3rd Dimension" here in DC and again in Syracuse New York. The DC presentation at the Natural History museum was polarized, the Syracuse Science Museum was anaglyph.

Last edited by Giles; 03-18-04 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, I am aware of the ENCOUNTERS situation (which was likely in Color Code's yellow/orange anaglyph system), but as for WAX, you still haven't convinced me you aren't remembering incorrectly.

No one I've ever spoken with (including well known people in the 3-D industry) have ever heard of a theatrical anaglyph version of WAX, and certainly not any of the 80's flicks. The 1982 reissue was single strip side-by-side format, but shown only in polarized format.

Now, a handful of the older B/W ones were shown in anaglyph once in a while during the 70's (CREATURE/LAGOON, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) and of course there were others shown in really bad anaglyph on TV in the 80s. JAWS 3-D and COMIN AT YA were converted in the late 90s for foreign TV (the former) and DVD (the latter) as well. Of course these anaglyph conversions all look terrible...

If you saw anaglyphic versions of WAX or any of the 80s film presented theatrically it would be of great interest to 3-D historians if you can provide some additional info (theatres or rough dates) because it is news to us. It's certainly not impossible....I'll ask around as well. IS there a lost chapter in 3-D film history? Even if there was only one anaglyph print struck..we need to know.

Bottom Line, if you did see an anaglyph verison of HOUSE OF WAX, it must have looked awful. Why would they bother?

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 03-18-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-18-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

giles, the maryland science center in baltimore city is playing it in 3D
Old 03-19-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll make this quick, since we're getting away from the NASCAR/IMAX topic, but I did some additional checking last night with some folks who are in the 3-D business.

They said there has never, ever been theatrical showings of HOUSE OF WAX or any of the 1980's 3-D movies (FRIDAY 13TH, etc) in red/blue anaglyph, not even on an experimental basis.
I didn't think so, as the results would have been painful to see anyway.

The only major films ever released in theatres in anaglyph are FREDDY'S DEAD and SPY KIDS 3-D. Minor films like THE MASK, a bunch of softcore sex films, a few hardcore ones, and most recently THE PARK have also played around with it, but usually by adding a few 3-D scenes to otherwise flat films. Then of course, we have the previously mentioned anaglyph conversions of a few others (CREATURE/LAGOON, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE) which have made the revival house rounds or been shown on TV. The less said about those abominable versions the better.

Bottom line, the vast majority of all 3-D feature films have always been shown in polarized format. If they had been anaglyph, no studio would have ever done more than one, the quality would have satisfied no one. There have been way more 3-D movies made than anyone thinks. 51 were shot in the US in 1952-55 alone and there have been dozens more since then, not to mention a lot more made in other countries. These numbers do not include documentaries and theme park specialty films such as NASCAR 3-D, either.

OK, 3-D fan boy geek ranting is over! But this 3-D fan boy geek has been extensively researching this stuff for 25 years...

Anyway, see NASCAR 3-D. It uses the "traditional" POLARIZED glasses, but 3-D films in the fifties were never this BIG.....

Last edited by Steve Phillips; 03-19-04 at 11:25 AM.