Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 1

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Groucho’s Movie Challenge: Week 1

Old 03-08-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had The French Connection sitting in my collection for about a year, and I still haven't watched it. Now I have a good reason to.
Old 03-08-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I'll bite. On Friday night I'm going to watch To Kill A Mockingbird. I've read the book many times, but never saw the movie. Luckily the girlfriend has it on dvd.
Old 03-08-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmmm, great idea groucho!

i'll need to find something pre-1978 but i don't think that'll be a problem...

okay, chose to watch Hitchcock's Spellbound. bought it because of dali's dream sequence but never got around to watching it.

my thoughts: a little slow at times but i enjoyed to performances and the twist. a good hitchcock but not his best by a long shot!

alright Groucho, i'm ready for my next mission...

Last edited by hgar78; 03-13-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-08-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
It's a good thing classicman doesn't post here much, or we'd be hearing about The Great Train Robbery every week.

Great idea Groucho. Hope I can take part in this one or a future one.
Old 03-08-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I think I'll search out instead a movie made before my mother was born (even though she was born a long long time ago).
Well, your mother should know.

Well, I guess this is the final kick in the arse I needed to get me to pick up Ikiru.

Count me in (born in '75)!
Old 03-08-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

born: 1971

I watched An Affair to Remember last week, but I won't count that. I just picked up Notorious so now I have reason to remove the shrinkwrap this week.

P.S. Nice idea.
Old 03-08-04, 06:53 PM

Born: 1984

Just watched All Quiet on the Western Front. Glad I did.
Old 03-08-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 197 Likes on 162 Posts
Born in '78.

Recently, I finally watched CITIZEN KANE. I really liked it, but what impressed me the most was how funny Orson Welles was in certain parts of the film. Going in I did not expect that at all. The film as a whole was definitely a different way to tell a story, especially for movies that I have seen from that era.

But I will pick out another film since this thread was started today.
Old 03-08-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched my copy of "Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril"

I've just been getting into the Samurai Genre and this film was pretty trippy. Naked samurai chick with tatted up breasts. Pretty weird. This might not count because I've seen the other 3 films in the series. I'm gonna have to get Lady Snowblood now.

On another note:

Also watched "Once Upon A Time In The West" and I loved it. Made in 1968???? Love the score, the characters, dialogue you name it. Leone was a master.
Old 03-08-04, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have to do an essay in my music and film class and it had to be a movie before the 1960s. The only pre-60s films I had was the five movies that came in the Hitckcock boxset I never watched. I watched Rebecca because it also has a music/effects only track as well.
Old 03-08-04, 09:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja

I have to do an essay in my music and film class and it had to be a movie before the 1960s. The only pre-60s films I had was the five movies that came in the Hitckcock boxset I never watched. I watched Rebecca because it also has a music/effects only track as well.
You might want to watch M. The use of music in that film was somewhat revolutionary (it was released in 1931). After that, check out The Third Man.
Old 03-09-04, 02:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
After taking the challenge, I looked through my "To be watched" pile and picked out the recent Criterion release of Barbet Schroeder's Maitresse. Boy, am I glad I did.

The film was all-around fantastic. Interesting and different subject matter, good acting, absorbing plot. The film was very European in the way it was about sexuality, without dwelling too much on sex.

Some shocks to be had, such as
Spoiler:
a man getting his penis nailed to a board and a horse being slaughtered
but done in such an artful way that it never felt like it was a violation of the subjects or the audience.

But as great as everything else was, the cinematography took the cake. This is by far some of the best cinematography and framing I have ever seen. The way that Schroeder used reflections and shadows to show events offscreen was stunning, and some of the scenes were so artfully composed they looked like paintings.

I highly recommend this.
Old 03-09-04, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I've got a whole big stack of musicals for sundog to borrow!!!
Old 03-09-04, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm game...just moved up The Maltese Falcon in my netflix queue..I'll let you know once I watch it.
Old 03-09-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can only hope that Groucho's Movie Challenge&#153 lasts as long as Groucho's Box Office Poker&#153 and Groucho's Otter Droppings&#153.
Old 03-09-04, 07:33 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
I can only hope that Groucho's Movie Challenge&#153 lasts as long as Groucho's Box Office Poker&#153 and Groucho's Otter Droppings&#153.
There's a reason that my latest "venture" doesn't require any work from me.
Old 03-09-04, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok. I'm in. Based on his strong second place showing in this thread, I'm going to watch Laurence Olivier play a nazi in Marathon Man.
Old 03-09-04, 08:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
One Million Years BC
UK – Hammer Production
100 min (British version)
Dir. Don Chaffey
(Region 2 DVD – 3/8/04)

Dinosaurs! Babes in bikini’s! Volcanoes! What could you ask for more?

Hammer’s venture into the Dino-pic realm is as fun as it is for it’s kitsch value. The production values for its day were very impressive – notably an Allosaurus attack, and climactic volcanic eruption.
With only but a whisper of a plot, and requisite caveman acting, the film’s story and tone rests on the simple premise of early man living amongst a realm of dinosaurs and other gigantic creatures that constantly lurk behind every rock and boulder. Hammer’s own brand of horror makes a suitably appropriate appearance with the third race of man appearing with lycanthropic attributes. On location cinematography is also top notch, as the film was shot on the Canary Islands, aptly conveying a stark yet vast island of varying typographical terrains, and shadows.
Ray Harryhausens’ animation is some of the best he created and the combination of man/against beast is convincing (for it’s day) and exciting.
Raquel Welch steals the show by her looks alone. Equally, Martine Beswick’s Nupondine is wonderfully cast as Welch’s antagonist and eventually leads the two into an obligatory yet vigorous catfight – where the onscreen onlookers emotions clearly emulate the film viewers’ simultaneous response as well.
The film is a fun kalidescope of action, stop motion animation, and sexual prows ness – that only the 60’s and Hammer has been able to create to such extremes.

[US fans take note: Fox’ DVD release is the shorter 91minute American theatrical release of the film, the Region 2 UK release features the film in it’s longer cut and includes interviews with Ray Harryhausen and Raquel Welch as supplements.]

Last edited by Giles; 03-09-04 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-09-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,500 Likes on 949 Posts
I'll play. Born 1962. Sullivan's Travels (1942) is on my unwatched list. I blind bought it because Scorsese liked it so much in his personal journey through the movies.
Old 03-09-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1982 here.

I'm going to go with a movie I've never seen before that gets praised almost as much as Jesus.

The Godfather
Old 03-09-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

aftermath, you've never seen Godfather? Well, now's as good a time as any, I guess. To be honest, I hadn't seen it until about a year ago. I was born in 1974 too. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. It's now one of my favorite movies.

Well, I'm in. I'm headed to Best Buy to pick up Schindler's List tonight, and I'll pick up a copy of Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon while I'm there. I've always wanted to see them, just never got around to it.

Thanks for posting this, Groucho.

Last edited by Spanky BananaPants; 03-09-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-09-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
One Million Years BC
That review keeps coming up in the "new reviews" spot and the cover is outstanding:

I would like to get it in poster form. I found several similar Raquel Welch posters, but they don't have the title and actor billing. Without that I can't us the "movie fan" excuse and will feel like a perve hanging it.
Old 03-09-04, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

But most of the movies I love were made before I was born. My favorite directors are Welles (der hay), Hitchcock, Lean and Kubrick.

I'm trying to get caught up on some of my Criterion buys, so I watched Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast" Sunday night. I thought it was beautiful, and as always, Criterion did a very nice job with the package. Particularly enjoyed the interview with the cinematographer Henri Alekan.

Last night I started on the "I Am Curious Yellow/Blue" boxed set. Got about halfway through Yellow and was enjoying it, but started late and got sleepy. Hope to make my way through the entire set before the weekend, but it's a pretty stacked package!
Old 03-09-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very cool suggestion Groucho. I'm glad so many are playing along. I hope to watch Gimme Shelter today or tomorrow. I'm just now being exposed to cinema verite.

I was born in 1980.
Old 03-09-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wmansir
That review keeps coming up in the "new reviews" spot and the cover is outstanding:

I would like to get it in poster form. I found several similar Raquel Welch posters, but they don't have the title and actor billing. Without that I can't us the "movie fan" excuse and will feel like a perve hanging it.
http://www.movieposter.com/cgi-bin/m...ION+YEARS+B.C.
a link to buy a reprint.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.