DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   whats the appeal of Eyes Wide Shut? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/351362-whats-appeal-eyes-wide-shut.html)

rennervision 10-28-08 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by naitram (Post 9032753)
Hey, thanks for getting back to us! -rolleyes-

:lol:

Originally Posted by naitram (Post 9032753)
Actually, I'll have to watch it again now to get back up to speed on the discussion. 2012 good for you?

:mad:

Larry C. 10-28-08 10:20 AM

I love this movie more every time i watch it!!!!!!!!!!! :d

inri222 10-28-08 11:11 AM

Another interesting read about this great film:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/movies/...799/07239.html

Travis McClain 10-28-08 01:49 PM

I remember when the film was released, and it was hailed as some artistic masterpiece. I saw it on vacation with the guys in Chicago, and while I was into the T&A (I was 20 that summer), I thought the praise was the kind of thing out-of-touch, pretentious critics heap on things they know damn well the rest of society will respond to by saying, "Huh?"

Then, when it hit pay-per-view, I went ahead and spent the $4 to re-watch it late at night. It was the most mesmerizing, absorbing, smothering film I'd ever seen. I felt emotionally invested in the film--I knew the insecurity and jealousy, the curiosity, the confusion, the anger. I knew how much he wanted to keep going, and how much he wanted it to all just go away.

A few months ago, I re-watched it (on DVD this time) with my wife, who had not seen it. Being older, and married, I found I felt differently. I was even more emotionally invested in the film, but without the anxieties that I had in my youth. Now, I had an idea how blindsided I would be were I in Cruise's shoes to realize one day that your comfortable relationship has somehow become a rut; that things you took for granted were at risk of slipping away. It's a reminder that a relationship is not a cactus--you can't neglect it and count on it to stay constant. They require daily work.

I also find myself completely immersed in the visual part of the film. It was the third time seeing it that I realized the use of the color blue, for instance. It's not a film I can or will re-watch regularly, but each time I have seen it, I've seen more each time.

jessecrx 10-28-08 10:27 PM

Thread back from the dead!!!

I think this is by far Kubrick's best film. It's a very complex movie that hits so many nerves personally I get lost just explaining it to friends.

It's a perfect example of art in motion because each viewer walks away with their own impression.

Many friends hated it, but a select few saw what I saw and in some cases uncovered stuff I never thought of.

rabbit77 10-29-08 04:30 PM

I'm still waiting for das to reply to why Fidelio is a perfectly fitting password.

Larry C. 10-29-08 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77 (Post 9037086)
I'm still waiting for das to reply to why Fidelio is a perfectly fitting password.

I believe what he is getting at is that Nichole Kidman could have been the one at the orgy in disguise who saves him. A big could of but its possible.

rennervision 10-29-08 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jessecrx (Post 9035333)
It's a perfect example of art in motion because each viewer walks away with their own impression.

I feel 2001 and The Shining are good examples of this as well. I just love how a Kubrick movie continues to surprise and get even better with repeat viewings.

naitram 10-30-08 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision (Post 9037213)
I feel 2001 and The Shining are good examples of this as well. I just love how a Kubrick movie continues to surprise and get even better with repeat viewings.

Agree, I'd add Barry Lyndon in that.

Don't worry, I got EWS in the queue again.