DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Stuff you never got (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/351315-stuff-you-never-got.html)

Parcher 03-06-04 04:40 PM

Stuff you never got

Here it is, the thread where you can ask the questions you never got answered regarding movies - stuff that's obvious, but you just don't get!

For example, WHY does John McC tie that monotor to the C4 in Die hard?

Shannon Nutt 03-06-04 04:54 PM

I think C4 won't explode unless it's ignited by something...so all that computer wiring would be sure to start a spark that would ignite the C4....I think!

Robert 03-06-04 05:11 PM

Regarding <b>The Passion of the Christ</b>:

Why do Mary and Magdalene get down on their knees and soak up the blood on the ground where Jesus was whipped?

RyoHazuki 03-06-04 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Robert

Why do Mary and Magdalene get down on their knees and soak up the blood on the ground where Jesus was whipped?

They were going to use that with some sacremental wine and invent the Bloody Mary.

Robert 03-06-04 06:35 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
They were going to use that with some sacremental wine and invent the Bloody Mary.
***rim shot***, Hazuki-san!

Mr. Salty 03-06-04 06:36 PM

Because according to Jewish law, the blood of a person is considered as holy as his life and deserves proper burial. That's also why embalming is not performed on the bodies of Orthodox Jews.

Goat3001 03-06-04 07:15 PM

Ebay

costanza 03-06-04 07:21 PM

they're closet vampires, saving it for later

Robert 03-06-04 07:27 PM

you guys are just too funny

Giantrobo 03-07-04 03:13 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Because according to Jewish law, the blood of a person is considered as holy as his life and deserves proper burial. That's also why embalming is not performed on the bodies of Orthodox Jews.

...isn't it also why after terror bombings in Israel they attempt to collect as much of the victim's tissue as possible?

Mr. Salty 03-07-04 05:19 AM

Yes, that's exactly why they do that.

ckolchak 03-07-04 07:59 AM

i always thought that was to give the chair more weight for its descent/impact

Gyno Rhino 03-07-04 09:14 AM

Re: Stuff you never got

Originally posted by Parcher
Here it is, the thread where you can ask the questions you never got answered regarding movies - stuff that's obvious, but you just don't get!

As others have sort of said, C4 doesn't detonate on combustion alone, it requires an electrical impulse.

Computer monitors have oodles of capacitors and batteries - dropping one down an electrical shaft will certainly cause some kind of electrical blowout.

Dubya 03-07-04 09:19 AM

What is the appeal of "The Big Lebowski?"

BigPete 03-07-04 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Dubya
Dry humor.

costanza 03-07-04 11:24 AM

shut the %$#@ up Dubya! you're out of your element! :)

DonnachaOne 03-07-04 12:58 PM

I never got Optimus Prime or a Sega Megadrive (that's Genesis to you unholy yanks) for my birthday or Christmas. Oh, lamentable youth...

Hiro11 03-07-04 01:42 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Dry humor.
I would not call Big Lebowski "dry humor". Anyway, I've never really understood that term. To me, it seems people use it to describe anything that isn't Adam Sandler-type stuff.

Rypro 525 03-07-04 04:58 PM

i think dry humor is when its not as obvious its a joke.

Dubya 03-07-04 07:28 PM

I like dry humor but I just didn't get that movie. A friend of mine worships it and she made me watch it with her. She was laughing her ass off and I don't think I laughed once. To each his own.

Giantrobo 03-07-04 08:11 PM

Dry Humor is like dry Humping. It's fun every once in a while but you wouldn't want to do it all the time.

Plus there's a fine line between Dry Humor and dud joke.

BigPete 03-07-04 08:21 PM

I like dry humor but I just didn't get that movie. A friend of mine worships it and she made me watch it with her. She was laughing her ass off and I don't think I laughed once. To each his own.
I'm guessing that Fargo was a miss for you, too?

whaaat 03-07-04 09:38 PM

If you didn't laugh when Jeff Bridges says:

"It's uh, it's down there somewhere.
Lemme take another look."

you might as well turn the movie off right there, and go bowling.

Scrap that. If you didn't think it was funny when Jeff Bridges wrote out the cheque for 69 cents, then you should stop watching movies altogether. ;)

Goldberg74 03-07-04 10:05 PM

The movie Go... never quite understood why that film was made.

Groucho 03-07-04 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
The movie Go... never quite understood why that film was made.
To make an intelligent film for teens that wasn't a lame sex comedy or slasher flick?

And I disagree with the assessment of The Big Lebowski as "dry comedy." While it did have dry comedy in it, it was mostly pretty straight forward. Now, Fargo...that's dry comedy.