DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Will I like The Fisher King? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/351050-will-i-like-fisher-king.html)

talemyn 03-04-04 09:14 PM

Will I like The Fisher King?

Okay . . . the basics . . .

- I am a huge Monty Python fan.
- I am a huge Robin Williams fan.
- I am a huge fan of most of Gilliam's other movies.
- I already own: Twelve Monkeys,
Brazil, Time Bandits, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- I have seen and am considering buying: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
- I have not seen but am also looking into: Jabberwocky and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

So . . . given that (and anything else that you may have picked up about me my movie selections and prior posts), do you think a blind buy of The Fisher King would be a wise move?

The only reason that I am asking (considering all of the support above) is that, from what I understand, it is not a film that neccessarily fits in with the rest of Terry Gilliam's or Robin Williams's films.

Note: If anyone has any thoughts on Jabberwocky and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I'd be more than happy to hear those too, but I'm not seriously considering buying them yet . . . although I suppose that you could change my mind. :D

RyoHazuki 03-04-04 09:25 PM

Probably. I think its overrated but you will probably like it based on what you said. I'd buy Fear and Loathing twice before Fisher King but thats just me.

costanza 03-04-04 09:28 PM

you will like fisher king. and you will love fear and loathing. haven't seen jabberwocky in many moons so i can't remember about that one. get the other two though

Darkfriend 03-04-04 09:39 PM

I'm also a fan of Williams and Monty Python... All I can say is give "The Fisher King" a try. I watched that movie with no expectations at all and really enjoyed it -smile-

Rivero 03-04-04 09:39 PM

talemyn, you will LOVE Fisher King, as well as Baron Munchausen. You will like Fear and Loathing.

ArchibaldTuttle 03-05-04 01:12 AM

terry gilliam is my favorite director, and I easily watch the fischer king more than any of his other movies, for me it has the highest rewatchability

rushmore223 03-05-04 01:27 PM

Fisher King is not Gilliams best film, but I liked it enough to buy the Criterion Laserdisc. It has a scene that is probably Williams' greatest acting ever, very painful scene, and he pulled it off brilliantly.

Gilliam is one of my Favorite directors, but I gotta say, I hated Fear and Loathing, and I wanted to like it.

Pointyskull 03-05-04 02:43 PM

Based on your self-described pedigree, I'd say "Yes!"

Not Gilliam's most elaborately fantastic film, but there are moments of surreal beauty in Fisher King, and for once Robin Williams is not an annoying a**

Groucho 03-05-04 02:49 PM

It's a good show, a bit heavier than the previews let on, however.

Johnny Zhivago 03-05-04 02:55 PM

One of Gilliam's best films...