DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   How do you think the zombies came to be in Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/350973-how-do-you-think-zombies-came-romeros-night-living-dead.html)

OldBoy 03-04-04 01:20 PM

How do you think the zombies came to be in Romero's "Night of the Living Dead"?

Just was curious to see what people, fans and the like thought might be the one reason that the zombies in Romero's trilogy..how they came to be? What caused the first to become the first if you know what I mean. I think this might be interesting.

Are there any true reasons that Romero himself mentioned in any commentary or something like that? I only ask because I heard that the original first never makes light of the reason how they came to be and didn't know if the real reason was indeed out there...

DonnachaOne 03-04-04 01:24 PM

I thought it was because a probe had interfered with radiation from Venus, and the radiation reanimated the recently dead... right?

Oh, who cares really, the films aren't great because of WHY they're zombies, they're great because they're ABOUT zombies.

natesfortune 03-04-04 01:34 PM

It's in the film during the radio broadcast. A space probe of some kind was causing or enhancing some kind of radiation that was causing people to animate.

Jackskeleton 03-04-04 01:45 PM

Wizards.

DonnachaOne 03-04-04 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Wizards.
Any reason works, as long as they didn't run, right? ;)

Giles 03-04-04 02:29 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Any reason works, as long as they didn't run, right? ;)
you ARE correct!

marty888 03-04-04 02:36 PM

Wasn't it those silly humanoid space people on the cardboard space ship trying one of their alternate plans .. plan 8 or plan 10 or something like that....

-wink-

Charlie Goose 03-04-04 02:51 PM

The radiation from Venus makes it seem less scary. I prefer the simple explanation that there is no more room in Hell.

Mondo Kane 03-04-04 02:59 PM

Meh, I just go by the old voodoo situation that occured in Fulci's Zombie. Some fans even admit that the Fulci film is a good prelude to Dawn of the Dead.

Giles 03-04-04 03:06 PM

Not to go off too much of a tangent, the more I think about the remake of "Dawn": running zombies, the potential to be less gory... makes me a tad nervous that Romero's intent of the series is going to be diminished.

natesfortune 03-04-04 03:18 PM

I agree that the radiation thing isn't as cool as there being no "real" reason - but the radiation thing is what they say in the film, nontheless.

Dr. DVD 03-04-04 03:30 PM

Wasn't the reason for the zombies in Dawn of the Dead the same as for those in Night? I just remember that Dawn more or less opens with the zombies already out and about and little explanation is given.

jaeufraser 03-04-04 03:38 PM

While Romero's films try to explain in a little detail, his films are known for being inaccurate. Please watch the factual account of what really happened, called "Return of the Living Dead" to get the real answer.

Ok, I don't know...

cultshock 03-04-04 04:14 PM

Meh, I just go by the old voodoo situation that occured in Fulci's Zombie. Some fans even admit that the Fulci film is a good prelude to Dawn of the Dead
"Prelude"? But Dawn of the Dead came out first. ;)

At any rate, Zombie (or Zombie 2, or Shangrila, depending on where you live) will always have a special place in my heart, if just for having a scene where a zombie fights a shark. :up:

cactusoly 03-04-04 06:23 PM

Dawn came out befoe Zombie (Zombie 2) but it does fit perfectly narrativly as a prequel.

I thought the radiation thing was supposed to be one possible explanation but not necessarily the real reason. I like the whole end of the world dead will walk the earth theory.

Grimm1 03-04-04 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
The radiation from Venus makes it seem less scary. I prefer the simple explanation that there is no more room in Hell.
I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Romero where he says pretty much the same thing. This is why in Dawn and Day he didn't try to come up with a reason of WHY it was happening.

Supermallet 03-04-04 07:04 PM

Because Romero had this title, "Night of the Living Dead," and he was sitting around thinking, "Now, what could this movie be about?" And then it hit him: ZOMBIES! And not just zombies, slow-moving zombies!

Terrell 03-04-04 09:05 PM

Maybe it was the worst acting ever seen in a film that turned them into zombies! ;)

costanza 03-04-04 09:36 PM

umbrella corporation

thegame370 03-04-04 10:55 PM

because of Pinkeye