Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Top Oscar winner 11 out of 11!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lord of the Rings Top Oscar winner 11 out of 11!

Old 03-01-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts
Good for PJ. I liked that he mentioned "Bad Taste" and "Meet the Feebles" as being "rightly overlooked by the academy."

I still hold out hope that he will make a sequel to Feebles, but I doubt it.
Old 03-01-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If only they had cast someone who could act, they might have won 12.
Old 03-01-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look even more forward to seeing this down the road. Right after I see the second one.
Old 03-01-04, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by Tandem
If only they had cast someone who could act, they might have won 12.
I think the reason they didn't nominate anyone for acting was that there were too many great performances in the film and they didn't know who to nominate. I know you're attempting to rip the movie with your comment (and you're allowed...popularity always begets backlash), but I really think that's the reason.
I would have liked to see Sean Astin win (and be nominated).
Old 03-01-04, 08:45 AM
Cool New Member

The number of charactors hurt LOTR in terms of getting acting nominations. First, who is the lead? Gandalf, Frodo, maybe Aragorn? Each can be debated, but the bottom line is that there was no traditional lead.

Then you have the supporting cast, with more charactors than you can shake a stick at. Sam in most peoples opinion was the one clear miss in nominations. But if you give him a nod, then what about Legolas, Gimli, Gollum, Theoden, Denethor, Faramir, Merry, Pippin, Arowen, and so on.

So I don't think it was a knock on the acting as much as confusion over the number of charactors.
Old 03-01-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I haven't seen the film, I was just kidding about the acting. I thought the first two seemed to be more about the special effects. Not that that's a bad thing, the effects seemed to really carry the movies and make them grander that it would have been without the effects.
Old 03-01-04, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by Tandem
Since I haven't seen the film, I was just kidding about the acting. I thought the first two seemed to be more about the special effects. Not that that's a bad thing, the effects seemed to really carry the movies and make them grander that it would have been without the effects.

Really? I don't think so....I thought what made them great was the story...the special effects were definitely secondary. It made it visually stunning, but I don't think it was about that at all. I mean, the Matrix Reloaded and All the star wars episodes were full of good special effects but were TERRIBLE movies. If there's only special effects and bad acting and a bad story in general, they won't matter. I thought it was a beautiful story and the effects that are available in this day and age made it possible for the story to come to life perfectly. IMO, of course!
Old 03-01-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

here we go again
Old 03-01-04, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by cactusoly
here we go again
Why? Cuz the Matrix Episode 1 and 2 comments? I meant no offense.
Old 03-01-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am glad that the Lord of the Rings won some Oscars, and I am also glad that the movies are over..so everybody can shut up about the movies and talk about something else if possible (and yes I know there is still the ROTK DVD to come out so I guess a little more talking, but still, the movies are OVER. YEEAAAAGGH.
Old 03-01-04, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by chanster
I am glad that the Lord of the Rings won some Oscars, and I am also glad that the movies are over..so everybody can shut up about the movies and talk about something else if possible (and yes I know there is still the ROTK DVD to come out so I guess a little more talking, but still, the movies are OVER. YEEAAAAGGH.
Sorry...not gonna happen....
Talking about it for the past 3 years and will be for the next 5 at least!
Old 03-01-04, 09:27 AM

YEEAAAAGGH.
howard dean? welcome to the forum.
Old 03-01-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry...not gonna happen....
Talking about it for the past 3 years and will be for the next 5 at least!
Then you need to seriously re-examine your priorities.
Old 03-01-04, 09:39 AM

Why? Cuz I'm a movie dork? I don't understand the attempted insult....

Doesn't mean I talk of nothing else... just that I know that this movie will be peppered into non-important movie talk for the next few years.
Old 03-01-04, 09:40 AM

Sorry that my priorities must not be as exciting as yours...

And I was hoping that we could keep a LOTR-related discussion "above the table." Who was I kidding?

Edited to add that I must be a "movie dork" too.
Old 03-01-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, the poor persecuted fans of LOTR. The amount of persecution is just unbearable.
Old 03-01-04, 09:54 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
chanster, quit thread-crapping and find a thread more suited to your interests.
Old 03-01-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 507 Posts
Yes, the poor persecuted fans of LOTR. The amount of persecution is just unbearable.
Yes, let's end their misery and crucify them. Oh wait... then we would have a 20 page thread about how crucifixion should be done. Never mind.
Old 03-01-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Viggo and Ian, and definitely Austin deserves a nomination, those 3 have very very strong performances, and are central characters/roles in the trilogy

Viggo/Aragorn is the damn King, the book/movie is named after him

Ian/Gandalf is the chief adversary to Mordor/Saruman/Sauron, in fact, he orchestrated the entire strategy, from sending Frodo to Mt Doom to running around Rohan and Gondor

Austin/Sam, Frodo would have been toast without him, not a supporting role at all in RoTK (not as important in FoTR/TTT)

Basically, everyone else are supporting roles IMO. But my opinion doesn't count, so oh well!
Old 03-01-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts
I just hope LOTR's luck doesn't result in a bunch of suck ass copycats. Fantasy is a genre that either comes out looking like LOTR or Dungeon's and Dragons in terms of quality. There is very little middle ground.
Old 03-01-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great that LOTR won so many, but I still wish FOTR, the best in the trilogy, had won back in the 2002 awards, along with Ian for best supporting actor.

The only thing I STRONGLY disagreed with in this show was Sean Penn winning over Bill Murray, what nonsense. Let me cry and grieve for 2 hours, maybe the academy will mistake it for depth.
Old 03-01-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sean astin is such a good actor that he put all of his hbbit weight back on for the awards ceremony. now that's sacrificing for the role.
Old 03-01-04, 10:56 AM

Well, my dorkdom paid off....I just won an Oscar pool at work ! $160 and a bottle of Champagne. SO it pays to be a movie geek!!
Old 03-01-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I just hope LOTR's luck doesn't result in a bunch of suck ass copycats. Fantasy is a genre that either comes out looking like LOTR or Dungeon's and Dragons in terms of quality. There is very little middle ground.
You know there will be a bunch of fantasy movie that will definatly be on the D&D side of movies. The success of one will result in others - happened many times in the past so no reason it won't happen this time. Of course because they will suck, the fantasy genre will go back to its non-profitible status in a year or two.
Old 03-01-04, 11:38 AM

Congrats Lord of the Rings!
Congrats Peter Jackson!
Congrats to the 25,000 people that made these wonderful movies!
11 out of 11 all very much deserved. Finally a fantasy film good enough to be recognized gets recognized!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.