Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Aeon Flux headed for the big screen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-27-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theron Takes Aim at 'Aeon Flux'

By Chris Gardner

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Making a giant leap from playing a serial killer in "Monster," Oscar nominee Charlize Theron could next find herself playing a futuristic assassin in a film based on the MTV cartoon series "Aeon Flux."

Created by Peter Chung, the MTV series revolved around a killer known for her extreme style, cool attitude, tight clothes and propensity for dying. The Paramount feature is targeting a June start. Karyn Kusama ("Girlfight") will direct.

Theron recently picked up best actress honors at the SAG Awards and the Golden Globe Awards for her starring turn in Patty Jenkins' "Monster" for Newmarket Films. Theron starred in Paramount's remake of "The Italian Job" last year.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...film_theron_dc

I'm not sure about this. I really enjoyed the cartoon, but part of its appeal was the fact that she died in every episode. And seriously, I just don't know how they could bring the stlye of the cartoon to live action, but I'll keep an open mind.

------>

Last edited by SunMonkey; 02-27-04 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read that title and thought, "Cool, another anime movie".

Oh well..
Old 02-27-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Charlize in the skimpy Aeon Flux costume =
Old 02-27-04, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eric F

Oh well..
Yeah, sorry. I wanted the thread to be about the movie, and not just Theron being in it, so I used my own title.

If the mods want to change the title to something like "Aeon Flux set for live action movie" feel free.
Old 02-27-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man.. I remember loving this when it was on Liquid Television (91?).. I couldn't get into the series though.
Old 02-27-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh well..
I read your post and though, "Hmm.. he doesn't know what anime is.."
Old 02-27-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I read your post and though, "Hmm.. he doesn't know what anime is.."
Old 02-27-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grow up.

Aeon Flux is by Peter Chung, heavily influenced by anime (he has a history involved with it, including the Alexander Senkie/Reign series ). Call it what you want, it's anime in my book.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-27-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-27-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Grow up.

Aeon Flux is by Peter Chung, heavily influenced by anime (he has a history involved with it, including the Alexander Senkie/Reign series ). Call it what you want, it's anime in my book.
Why don't we just call it a kick ass cartoon and forget about labelling it as anime or not.

Although in Japan they call Disney cartoons (and any non-Japanese cartoon) anime so I don't get the forced distinction in the US.
Old 02-27-04, 02:56 PM
Banned by request

I never considered this series to be as good as Reign, but I'm up for a live action version, especially if they keep the costume as is.
Old 02-27-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe.. 10 years ago!
Old 02-27-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never seen Reign because I've heard mixed things about it. Alot of people don't like, probably for the same reasons they don't like Aeon. I might give it a shot.

Is the whole Aeon series available on DVD yet?
Old 02-27-04, 03:33 PM
Banned by request

I've never seen Reign because I've heard mixed things about it. Alot of people don't like, probably for the same reasons they don't like Aeon. I might give it a shot.

Is the whole Aeon series available on DVD yet?
Sadly, no. There's a highlights disc, I believe. Even though I prefer Reign, I'd still like to have this on DVD.
Old 02-27-04, 04:51 PM
Banned

Man.. I remember loving this when it was on Liquid Television (91?).. I couldn't get into the series though.
I’m with you there. Although later I did begin to really like the dialogue laden ones, they never compared to the shorts. Compared with most TV animation they really shined.

My first reaction to this news was “how cool would it be if the live action movie had zero dialogue and was told with strict visuals?”.
Old 02-27-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kudama
My first reaction to this news was “how cool would it be if the live action movie had zero dialogue and was told with strict visuals?”.
I think I just filled the cup.

Seriously, though the series was very good, it was nothing compared to the excellent shorts. Still, I'd buy both on DVD in a heartbeat.
Old 02-28-04, 01:09 AM

wow i was a fan of aeon flux and theron seems like an awesome choice for the role...im excited to see this
Old 02-28-04, 02:13 AM
Banned

When i was about 7 this show was on and i used to say why does this dumb show have to be before beavis and butthead. Ah the good old days. I probablly could get into this show now that i'm 18.
Old 02-28-04, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I know the original poster linked to a Yahoo news article, but I don't know if this was mentioned. After I saw this thread, I went to Yahoo to use the maps or something, and I noticed their headline box had this bit. It mentioned both Theron and Aeon Flux. I know they put up some oddball stuff when it's a slow newsday, but was this for Theron fans, or Flux fans?

A few months ago Yahoo actually had a headline about masturbation being good for men.
Old 02-28-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I enjoyed Aeon Flux and the Phantom 2040 series done by the same folks.

However, I would rather see Aeon animated rather than "live".
Old 08-31-04, 05:59 PM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...harlize_theron

LOS ANGELES - Oscar-winning actress Charlize Theron was injured while shooting her new Paramount film, "Aeon Flux," in Germany, but her representatives aren't saying how badly she was hurt.

Theron suffered the unspecified injury while doing her own stunts in a wire-hanging action sequence, the movie's publicist, Jeanmarie Carrasco, told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"No cuts, no broken bones," Carrasco said. "I think it was something less tangible than that. ... Something vague and nagging."

No one else was hurt, Carrasco added.

Filming in Berlin has been halted for several weeks to allow Theron to recover. It wasn't known if the injury would require script changes or when the movie would resume production.

Theron's publicist said the 29-year-old actress wasn't hospitalized.

"She did sustain an injury on the set. It's a very physically demanding role," said Theron publicist Amanda Silverman.

"Aeon Flux" is set centuries in the future at a time when a plague has wiped out most of the population. Theron plays the title character, a sleek, sexy commando who is part of a rebellion against the remaining government.

The "Aeon Flux" story was once depicted in a series of animated shorts on MTV.

Theron, who won an Academy Award for her role in "Monster," stars in "Head in the Clouds," set for release Sept. 17. She follows up her best-actress Oscar as a French socialite living it up on the eve of World War II.
Old 08-31-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hey they're making this, since they're shooting and all. That's cool, let's hope (crosses fingers) that this is good. It's coming from Paramount who...in general...makes crappy movies as of late.

From the director of girlfight too. Hmm...interesting. Hopefully it's a good story, not a Charlie's Angels style dumbfest.
Old 08-31-04, 11:04 PM
Banned

Should've been Carrie-Anne Moss.
Old 09-01-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow...this movie came on pretty fast... Big fan of the Shows MTV run..hopefully they will finally release the entire series on DVD, rather then just 1 disc...
Old 09-01-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The same thing happened to me.
Old 09-01-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

they said on the radio this morning that it was the movie has been delayed indefenly because the injury was to the neck.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.