DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   ? about children and passion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/349477-about-children-passion.html)

Kman1011 02-25-04 09:54 PM

? about children and passion

Yes I know there are reviews out there but I wanted to discuss something different. FIrst me, not much of a religious background, a little faith not much knowledge, my wife much more spiritual into god etc, my 6 year old ever since he could talk he spoke ogf god, jesus, etc. He goes to a christian school and amazes his teachers everytday with his love and passion for all things related to god. He truly at his age is a realist and realized all christ wernt through and understands violence etc. He very much wants to see this movie, I am out a crossroad on this, please do not bash my parenting skills here, I am not saying i am going to let him, but I also am not saying I am not going to let him. What do you think?

LarryE 02-25-04 10:02 PM

Kman, I'm sure many people will chime in here, and I haven't yet seen the Passion of Christ, but many people say that it is the most brutal, portrayal of violence ever captured on film. I have a five year old, and there is no way I can let her see this depiction. Even if the message is love, redemption, etc., I don't think a child can wade through the emotion of this type of violence. Just my two cents.

Goldberg74 02-25-04 10:05 PM

Nope. I wouldn't.

My son will be six in June, but I highly doubt that he would gain anything from the film.

But that's just me, I wouldn't subject my son to that kind of violence and brutality regardless of the person or the topic, however pure the intention.

Rypro 525 02-25-04 10:05 PM

Hey, if think he can handle it (has he seen alot of extreme violent movies before)take him, but i would strongly suggest that you see it first.

Jackskeleton 02-25-04 10:10 PM

Even if you do think he could handle it.. DONT! this amount of violence will [cartman]warp his fragile little mind[/cartman].

6 years old.. NO! NO NO! NO NO! Reading and understanding what christ went through in a book is nothing compared to what this film shows. I would suggest NOT to show him. If you want to show it to him later on down the road when he's old enough, go for it. But six is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to young to witness this amount of graphic violence

Seeker 02-25-04 10:15 PM

I'd say no.

caiman 02-25-04 10:19 PM

Do not take a 6 year old to this movie.

matome 02-25-04 10:19 PM

Six years old - no way, maybe 12-13 if they can handle the violence.

shaun3000 02-25-04 10:44 PM

Re: ? about children and passion

Originally posted by Kman1011
What do you think?
Sure, if you want to scar him for life!

devilshalo 02-25-04 10:47 PM

At 6 years old? Damn...

Would you allow your son to view Saving Private Ryan? Schindler's List?

I don't think he is capable of understanding the ultimate sacrifice that Christ made in such a strong visual form.

Rammsteinfan 02-25-04 11:10 PM

I saw 0 kids at the movie tonight... leave them at home.

jaeufraser 02-25-04 11:18 PM

Noooo!!!! Show him something safe, like Showgirls or Deep Throat.

The Nature Boy 02-26-04 12:32 AM

I like Rypro's advice, see it first by yourself and make your own judgement.

I think 6 is a little young, but I'd consider taking someone as young as 8 PROVIDED THEY WERE RAISED WITH FAITH. I recall being 4 and 5 years old, handling crucifixes, looking at reliegous photos and being taught about Christ dying for the sins of man. So in the context that what you are seeing is suffereing designed at saving mankind, I think it's more managable.

However, a 6 year old, as together as you think they may have it, will have a LOT to process here with the brutality, as would a child of 8-10 who had no background in Christ. As a Christian, this is much more of a movie to celebrate faith than necessarily teach young people with it. I could see it being an evangelical tool for adults, but not the young.

Big Quasimodo 02-26-04 12:37 AM

There is no way in the world I would recommend taking a child under the age of 13 to The Passion.

No way.

talemyn 02-26-04 12:43 AM

I think that you are just begging for a few years worth of recurring nightmares if you decide to take him. My sister had nightmares about snakes coming out of her walls for a long time after seeing the "Well Of Souls" scene in Raiders Of The Lost Ark when we were kids and that was only snakes. We are talking about protracted, graphic violence and torture here.

Jackskeleton 02-26-04 01:00 AM

I was scared for life from Micheal Jacksons thriller when I was young. I wouldn't suggest a 6 year old to see this.

Teremei 02-26-04 02:49 AM

I have a cousin who is 14, I will be going with some family to see it Saturday. I have already seen it once. My Uncle is going to let her see it, they goto church every week and I think 14, sure that's fine. I mean even a 14 year old, she is going to wince. But at that age and a christian background, this film can only serve (after the gore is over) to strengthen her.

But I agree. You wait until atleast the age of 13 for this film.

jarofclay73 02-26-04 03:16 AM

Please don't take little children to go see this movie. I would say high school students are okay. Too much younger and they wouldn't get the emotional impact of the movie. Generally, this is really for adults.

Supermallet 02-26-04 05:10 AM

Here's a litmus test:

Show him Ichi The Killer, Battle Royale, and The Silence of the Lambs. Wait a week. If he isn't having recurring nightmares, drawing pictures of people cutting off their tongues, or behaving abnormally violently in general, THEN take him to see The Passion of the Christ.

Giantrobo 02-26-04 05:21 AM

I would treat The Passion like I treat Las Vegas.

Not a place to bring the kids until they're much older. Who wants to see kids in Vegas?

I don't.

Dead 02-26-04 07:36 AM

A lot has been said about not taking children to see this movie. For a six year old, I would agree... for a 10 or 12 year old who has already seen violent films it probably wouldn't be a problem.

wlmowery 02-26-04 03:07 PM

Six is definately too young. Children at that age lack a clear sense or ability of distinguishing reality from fantasy. As such, it would likely be much too intense.

Now, at about age 10, children begin to mature. From 10-13/14 each parent should see the film first and make a judgment based on their own understanding of their child. While my 10 y/o daughter is quite mature in many respects, she is very soft-hearted and easily upset by stress and tragedy. Therefore, we will not be taking her to this film despite her general understanding of the sacrifice of Jesus.

After age 14, I think most kids of today can handle the subject matter and visual representations provided adults are available to discuss the reason behind the graphic imagery...