DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   How much money The Passion is making (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/349457-how-much-money-passion-making-merged.html)

raven56706 02-25-04 08:16 PM

The Passion possibly to make $20 Million today

According to the preliminary Ash Wednesday box office figures, Mel Gibson's THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST stands to make somewhere between $15 to $20 million dollars by the end of the day. That total also includes any advance screenings held for church groups earlier in the week, which factor in somewhere between $2 to $3 million. Gibson's film has opened at just over 3,000 screens across North America. The $25 M production was paid for by Gibson himself, with film distributor Newmarket earning a small percentage of the gross.

According to Cinescape.com

Corvin 02-25-04 08:55 PM

I'd believe it. After class I caught a 1PM show. A different 1PM screening had been sold out, and mine was about 50% sold out.

On my way out, the lines were forming for the later shows. Also, a quick glance at the flashing marquee showed that several of the later evening shows and sold out as well.

dxwwf3 02-25-04 09:29 PM

This is great news. I can't wait to see this on Friday.

Frank TJ Mackey 02-25-04 10:59 PM

Well I'll be seeing it again, and I'm quite sure there are people who are much more fanatical about these things than I am.

I'm just crazy about film. But if you've ever met any of these people (and I have) who are truly and deeply devoted to Christ, they believe what the hell they say they do.

I can respect that even if I don't agree with them on certain issues.

Deftones 02-25-04 11:09 PM

I heard this. Sort of amazing. Mel looks to make a shitload of money off this. Sure, he put up the $50 million production budget, and to promote it, but it'll at least make double that.

jaeufraser 02-25-04 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I heard this. Sort of amazing. Mel looks to make a shitload of money off this. Sure, he put up the $50 million production budget, and to promote it, but it'll at least make double that.
Ha, make that 25 million dollar production budget. Not sure he's paying for the promotion, but this film has gotten so much free press it's ridiculous. While I doubt he made this film for financial reasons (honestly, 6 months ago did anyone think this film was going to make this type of money? if you say you did, I don't believe you). Gibson is going to walk away with a huge payday. To think just last year this movie was having trouble finding a distributor.

B.A. 02-25-04 11:24 PM

Newmarket is going to be a much bigger company in the not-so-distant future. Or just a much wealthier company.

fumanstan 02-25-04 11:26 PM

I believe it as well, but i also believe the movie won't very long legs. There's a lot of buzz around the movie because of it's content, which attracts quite a wide variety of people. But it doesnt seem like one of those films that people will see time and time again (i haven't seen it, just a guess)

The Nature Boy 02-26-04 12:13 AM

Originally posted by fumanstan
I believe it as well, but i also believe the movie won't very long legs. There's a lot of buzz around the movie because of it's content, which attracts quite a wide variety of people. But it doesnt seem like one of those films that people will see time and time again (i haven't seen it, just a guess)
I disagree. This will play 40 straight days or so straight on til Easter. This is going to be the subject of vitrually every sermon in every denomination of every church in America this week and will remain so in many churches thereafter, it's that resonant as a piece of Christian art. The big thing about this film, to me, is that it's going to draw on folks that usually don't go to the movies(in addition to those that do). My mother saw it today and she hadn't been to the movies in 7 years. Annectdotal sure, but there were plenty of people you could tell were jazzed to be in a theater and were suprised the armrests had a place for your soda!!! I think 300 million is with in reason for this.

Deftones 02-26-04 12:15 AM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Ha, make that 25 million dollar production budget.
I combined the $25 million production with the $25 million to produce it.

jaeufraser 02-26-04 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
I combined the $25 million production with the $25 million to produce it.
You mean 25 mil advertising budget. Gothca. Question...did Gibson pay for advertising? I imagine Newmarket would've handled that part, henceforth their cut of the film.

dcprules 02-26-04 12:29 AM

I'm curious to see the boxofficemojo reports for tomorrow. I knew this would be big but never would have guessed a 20 million Wednesday opening.

fumanstan 02-26-04 12:37 AM

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I disagree. This will play 40 straight days or so straight on til Easter. This is going to be the subject of vitrually every sermon in every denomination of every church in America this week and will remain so in many churches thereafter, it's that resonant as a piece of Christian art. The big thing about this film, to me, is that it's going to draw on folks that usually don't go to the movies(in addition to those that do). My mother saw it today and she hadn't been to the movies in 7 years. Annectdotal sure, but there were plenty of people you could tell were jazzed to be in a theater and were suprised the armrests had a place for your soda!!! I think 300 million is with in reason for this.
Which is what i'd expect... hence the large opening. It definitely attracts those who normally wouldn't go to the movies because of its subject matter. But i would figure that most of these people would go to watch it early in its run. Oh well, we'll see.

The Nature Boy 02-26-04 12:41 AM

Originally posted by dcprules
I'm curious to see the boxofficemojo reports for tomorrow. I knew this would be big but never would have guessed a 20 million Wednesday opening.
20 million is undercutting bigtime in my annectdotal estimate. I found one evening show with tickets, most were sold out in my surrounding area, and it sounds like shows were sold out around the country. I still think it had to make 25-30 if not more.

jaeufraser 02-26-04 12:52 AM

20 million is undercutting bigtime in my annectdotal estimate. I found one evening show with tickets, most were sold out in my surrounding area, and it sounds like shows were sold out around the country. I still think it had to make 25-30 if not more.
I think we're getting a little too optimistic. It will open huge, but 30 plus million dollars is something this film...well let's put it this way, every film that has grossed 30 plus mil single day grosses was play in 50% to 100% more theaters than this, and were the likes of Spiderman, Matrix, Harry Poter etc. I don't see that much money happening, if even possible.

The Nature Boy 02-26-04 01:16 AM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
I think we're getting a little too optimistic. It will open huge, but 30 plus million dollars is something this film...well let's put it this way, every film that has grossed 30 plus mil single day grosses was play in 50% to 100% more theaters than this, and were the likes of Spiderman, Matrix, Harry Poter etc. I don't see that much money happening, if even possible.
Well, not quite 50 to 100 percent, this WAS on 4000 screens. Are these other films really up to the 8000 screen level(I"m not being snide or condescending, I just don't know). The number in the media is 2500 THEATERS, but there are many more screens showing this.

And I certainly admit that's an optimistic projection.

Teremei 02-26-04 02:53 AM

To topic poster. I don't doubt it. The amount of seats full at my 6:10 showing would make me not doubt that prediction one iota.

jarofclay73 02-26-04 03:13 AM

This was a great movie. But I also don't forsee people going to see it over and over again. So, I'm not sure how much this movie will make in the long run.

Teremei 02-26-04 03:27 AM

Well I am seeing it twice. Only because one family member couldn't go with the large group we have. So. . That will probably be enough for me though. The movie makes me sore. And I doubt I'm the only one.

jaeufraser 02-26-04 03:43 AM

Well, not quite 50 to 100 percent, this WAS on 4000 screens. Are these other films really up to the 8000 screen level(I"m not being snide or condescending, I just don't know). The number in the media is 2500 THEATERS, but there are many more screens showing this.

And I certainly admit that's an optimistic projection.

Actually, yes they are up to that level. While the film are only in 600-800 more theaters, the studios are sending out lots more prints of these films. For instance the original Harry Potter opened on 8,200 screens. I don't know the exact numbers on every film, and I imagine that's the top end for these films, but I imagine those mega releases are up there. And that 8,200 screens represents 3,672 theaters. So you can see the drastic difference. And that film made 31.6 million on opening day.

Supermallet 02-26-04 04:11 AM

From boxofficemojo.com:

'Passion' Could Deliver $20 Million on First Day
by Brandon Gray
February 25, 2004

HOLLYWOOD (Box Office Mojo) – Maybe Ash Wednesday should be renamed Fat Wednesday.

Fueled by unprecedented media frenzy and religious fervor, Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ is delivering on the hype. Playing on 4,643 screens at 3,006 theaters, the movie should hit the high teen millions and could reach over $20 million today, distributor Newmarket and Box Office Mojo each project.

The $30 million production's first day will handily go down as the biggest Wednesday gross ever for a movie opening outside the summer (May-August) and holiday (November-December) seasons, and it could rank No. 5 among all Wednesday bows.

If The Passion comes in at the high end of projections, it could set the opening day record for a non-summer, non-holiday movie. Hannibal is the current title holder with $19.8 million posted in February 2001. Although The Passion's projections include around $3 million from private screenings for church groups on Monday and Tuesday.

With less than 900 theaters reporting mid-day, The Passion had rung up over $7 million from matinees alone. That's about 18% behind what The Return of the King had at the same point on its opening day, and around 4% behind The Matrix Reloaded. Return of the King went on to take in $34.5 million that day, the Wednesday record.

By the end of Thursday, The Passion could become the highest-grossing Christian movie of recent memory. It's a genre that's been ghettoized as a niche market up until now – current champ Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie grossed a modest $25.6 million in its entire run.

Developing… Stayed tuned for more updates... The Passion's full Wednesday gross will be reported Thursday morning.

So Return of the King holds the current record for a Wednesday opening. However, it was longer than Passion, and thus had less screenings. But Return of the King opened in more theaters.

jarofclay73 02-26-04 04:52 AM

Here's an interesting quote:

No matter the final tally, "The Passion of The Christ" will fall far short of the one-day box office record set by "Spider-Man," which opened with $43.6 million in ticket sales in 2002.
Duh! -rolleyes- As if "The Passion" was supposed to be setting records or something. This is supposed to be an independent film with limited distribution. This movie really wasn't supposed to make money. But it seems it will do exactly that. It will be curious to see how it does over the weekend.

Supermallet 02-26-04 05:04 AM

Originally posted by jarofclay73
As if "The Passion" was supposed to be setting records or something. This is supposed to be an independent film with limited distribution. This movie really wasn't supposed to make money. But it seems it will do exactly that. It will be curious to see how it does over the weekend.
I don't see why that's an unfair comment. I think it's precisely because this film is independent that its initial box office take is getting so much press. You wouldn't have such a turnout for any old indepedent film.

If this film outgrosses My Big Fat Greek Wedding, do you think it will be considered the highest grossing indie film of all time?

QuiGonJosh 02-26-04 05:46 AM

<i>Removed attack</i>...I still dont think it'll beat Hannibal's Feb opening...

Frank TJ Mackey 02-26-04 07:46 AM

Is there anyone else here (besides me) that would feel really wrong making millions in profit from a movie based on
Jesus Christ?

I hope Gibson has some worldy charities in mind.