DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   QUICK, what are you day one and week 1 box office predictions for the Passion? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/349455-quick-what-you-day-one-week-1-box-office-predictions-passion.html)

The Nature Boy 02-25-04 08:11 PM

QUICK, what are you day one and week 1 box office predictions for the Passion?

I'm going with 33 million on Monday, 165 million for the 5 day opening weekend.

Seeker 02-25-04 08:13 PM

165 million in 5 days - what are you, nuts?

(sorry)

ok - maybe 20 million opening day, 80 million for the 5 days.

MAYBE. but a quick drop off after that.

Wazootyman 02-25-04 08:15 PM

Box Office Mojo is forecasting a 20 mil+ opening day already...

The Nature Boy 02-25-04 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Seeker
165 million in 5 days - what are you, nuts?

(sorry)

ok - maybe 20 million opening day, 80 million for the 5 days.

MAYBE. but a quick drop off after that.

Oh ye of little faith.

By the way, at the 2pm screening to Spiderman, I predicted the exact gross.

Same buzz and energy for this one. I found one theater with tickets availble.

I wouldn't have predicted it before today, I didn't know how a reliegous movie would fly, but this one has the legs of a monster. The key is, all those people who rarely see movies are going to this movie. 165 might be high, but I don't want to change my first instinct. No doubt of 150 plus though for the first 5 days.

jaeufraser 02-25-04 08:57 PM

This movie wil be big...but 150 plus over five days? That might be a bit optimistic. I mean, this is big, but it's not Matrix or RoTK big IMO. It still is a graphically violent R rated film that's not playing in nearly as many theaters as those films. What's my prediction? Geesh, I don't know. Biggest February opener ever? Yeah, definately. I think 80 over five days sounds more reasonable. We shall see.

Rypro 525 02-25-04 09:26 PM

its in about 2800 theaters, all shows in the maryland area were sold out today by noon according to a news station.

Dr. DVD 02-25-04 09:35 PM

Who cares???? Can't we let this obsession with ticket sales rest for at least one event movie and discuss its content instead?

PhYbEr 02-25-04 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
its in about 2800 theaters, all shows in the maryland area were sold out today by noon according to a news station.
3,006 actually

jaeufraser 02-25-04 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Who cares???? Can't we let this obsession with ticket sales rest for at least one event movie and discuss its content instead?
I care. There are many many threads about this films content. With pages and pages of dialogue. And that is, of course the most important thing about film. But some of us enjoy following box office trends also, and this film is going to perform exceptionally well, break some records, and make a lot of money. What's wrong with discussing its commerical implications in a thread concerning box office? If you're interested in content, hit back and look up...there's lots of room for that. Let's talk money here...sure this movie is about Jesus Christ, but to me...regardless of that...it's still a movie. It doesn't rise above that unless they give everyone free tickets.

The Nature Boy 02-26-04 12:03 AM

Thank you Dr. Threadcrapper....

Anyhow, who really cares what the next big blockbuster gross is? I haven't followed one moment of the ROTK box office ascent, I knew it was in the black, I knew it was going to make a boat load, and it didn't matter otherwise because I expected it.

But in this case, I'm SHOCKED by the success of this film already, and I think it merits discussion. I know there has been other momentum added beyond what's on the screen driving this box office, but I was completely stunned by people turning out in the numbers they did, and I think we may just all be shocked in the end. I remember legitmate debate as to whether this would compete with 50 First Dates, and now it's just zooming.

movielib 02-26-04 12:08 AM

Isn't that being done in at least a half dozen other threads? Nothing wrong with a box office discussion.

Dr. DVD 02-26-04 08:53 AM

I did not mean to come across as a threadcrapper. I just wish for once we could have a major release movie where someone doesn't feel the need to start tracking how much money it is making.

natesfortune 02-26-04 09:08 AM

That gross($150 million + in five days), is simply not mathematically possible. It's just not in enough theaters - not nearly enough, to get that.

Spiderman had over twice the number of prints out there.

It's per-screen average will probably be even higher than Spiderman's, but there just aren't enough prints out there to get even close to that even if every single seat was sold out for every single show.

johnglad 02-26-04 09:20 AM

Anything over $100 million in 5 days would be absolutely incredible for this movie and its screen count. I say $21 million Wednesday and $90 million in 5 days (fantastic figures). It wil make around $10-$14 million on Thursday (big drop from first day). $150+ million in 5 days isn't even possible for this movie.

BRIAN 1972 02-26-04 09:21 AM

mods,

do we need a PASSION room with all these threads?

jwerner 02-26-04 09:49 AM

Check out the numbers on my thread "Let's talk profit"

If this grosses 80 - 100 million in 5 days like some of you are saying, it will have grossed (profit wise) more in 5 days domestically than Titanic did the entire time!!!

Remember though, I'm talking profit here.

Static Cling 02-26-04 01:20 PM

Here's a discussion about The Passion and how much money it's making. Speculation can go in there, too.

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=349457