Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passion - DVD Talk's Review Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Passion - DVD Talk's Review Discussion

Old 03-20-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's the ignorant points of view that concern me.
Old 03-20-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last Post

Originally posted by croweyes1121
I find it funny that people attack me
People are not attacking you. They are attacking the flaws they see in your arguments. That's how debates work. You attack your opponant's arguments. Don't take it so personally. Nobody here knows you. Nobody's attacking YOU ... we're attacking your positions because we find flaws in them. Nature of the beast, man. That's how newsgroups and web boards work.

because they think (wrongfully) that I don't accept other opinions and yet, they don't accept mine (or, if they do, they also try to undermine it at every turn).
They don't accept your opinion that their opinions are meaningless. Think about why that might be.

How do you know what I DID say if you don't know what those words MEANT?
I don't understand the meaning of simple words? And you call me condescending?

Words speak for themselves. If you intended a meaning other than what was written, it's not the reader's fault for failing to read your mind. We can only go by what you write.

Don't sit there and tell us that we don't understand the words you wrote. We understand them fine. Maybe they didn't really say what you meant to say quite the way you meant to say it, but that's not our fault.

Have fun posting negative things about me once I'm gone,
Again, show me attacks made on you. If you're going to post that other people's opinions don't matter, you've got to expect to have that position attacked. All things considered, most of the folks here have been very civil and nice. Nobody has said "negative things" about you. They've merely attacked weaknesses in your arguments. How could you possibly expect anything less?

At no point has this become personal. How you got it into your mind that it is personal is beyond me.

but I've got better things to do than share my thoughts with people who only seem to want to bash me for my point of view.
Again, show where you are bashed. YOU, not your arguments. Yor arguments have been bashed, yes. That's because they weren't good arguments. But show me where it became personal.

...*snip* ...What a hypocrital post. ... Well, at least I listened to you without being rude.
Umm hmm. I think it's a little late to be trying to claim the high ground, don't you?
Old 03-22-04, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Epilogue - Update

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

Pictures and video:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...b=CTVNewsAt11#

Last edited by baracine; 03-22-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-22-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Epilogue - Update

what does this have to do with the movie?
Old 03-23-04, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Yasser Arafat's opinion: He just loved it!

http://www.ipc.gov.ps/ipc_e/ipc_e-1/...04_03/096.html
Old 03-23-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Yasser Arafat's opinion: He just loved it!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=353942
Old 03-24-04, 02:09 PM
Banned

Re: Having seen this movie....

Just saw it last night. Great movie. Anyway...

Originally posted by SomeVoices
Here's an interview with Jim Caviezel, I thought it was a good read. With the amount he had to endure as an actor just playing Jesus, I can't begin to comprehend how many times worse it must have been in reality for Jesus.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Gibson's approach to that truth is a gory rendering that will test the emotional stamina of moviegoers as Roman soldiers sadistically carry out the lashing and execution while Christ quietly endures.

Many days, Caviezel rose at 2 a.m. and spent eight hours in makeup to simulate the wounds: An eye swollen shut from a beating, the crown of thorns, welts and torn flesh from head to toe.

Taking the blows

The prolonged scourging sequence is as agonizing to watch as the Crucifixion, when nails are driven through Christ's hands and feet. Caviezel was chained to a post with a board set up behind him to absorb the blows.

At one point, Gibson instructed the two actors inflicting the beating to hurl their lashes overhand as if throwing a baseball. Caviezel took a blow to his back after one of the actors aimed poorly.

"It just extended over the board and hit me with such a velocity that I couldn't breathe," Caviezel said. "It's like getting the wind knocked out of you. The stinging is so horrific that you can't get air.

"I turned around and looked at the guy, and I tell you, I may be playing Jesus, but I felt like Satan at that moment. I turned to him, a couple of expletives came out of my mouth."

Originally posted by RayChuang
And Rosalina Celentano's performance as Satan is almost just as brilliant, also.
WOAH! Rosalina is a woman's name! Are you saying the actor that played Satan was...A WOMAN????

Anyway I just want to ask one more thing in all seriousness.... How do you guys explain the fact that Jesus Christ, as well as the Jewish folks whom dwelled in that area were all black or darker skinned, and not white as we are shown in this film? That is THE biggest inaccuracy in the movie BY FAR!.
Old 03-24-04, 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Having seen this movie....

Originally posted by isamu
Anyway I just want to ask one more thing in all seriousness.... How do you guys explain the fact that Jesus Christ, as well as the Jewish folks whom dwelled in that area were all black or darker skinned, and not white as we are shown in this film? That is THE biggest inaccuracy in the movie BY FAR!.
Well, they weren't particularly black, but they certainly were much darker skinned than portrayed in the film (probably something more akin to a current middle eastern/Arab type skin tone). But, as has been said before, Mel Gibson wasn't trying to make a historically accurate version but rather a traditionally accurate version of the film from a Catholic perspective. And Jesus pretty much looks like he did in the film according to most traditional views.

I for one would have liked to have seen this done in a historically accurate manner (proper skin tone, more accurate crucifixion, and countless other nitpicking aspects) as opposed to traditionally accurate manner, but I guess we can't have everything.
Old 03-28-04, 07:34 PM
Banned

I would like to know what ephesix, taa455, supermallet, dave-o and shannon think of this....
Old 03-29-04, 08:54 AM
Suspended

The movie that keeps on killing...

Second spectator dies during projection of "Passion", in Brazil...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3559753.stm
Old 03-29-04, 05:42 PM
Banned

Re: The movie that keeps on killing...

Originally posted by baracine
Second spectator dies during projection of "Passion", in Brazil...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3559753.stm
::sigh:: seems like no one at dvdtalk gives a crap about The Passion anymore. Where are all the posters that swelled this thread up to 23 pages? As with anyone else, I guess they moved onto another crappy movie.
Old 03-29-04, 10:00 PM

isamu, I am not sure what you were asking. Were you looking for thoughts on the fact that the film chose to use mostly Caucasian actors?
Old 03-29-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: The movie that keeps on killing...

::sigh:: seems like no one at dvdtalk gives a crap about The Passion anymore. Where are all the posters that swelled this thread up to 23 pages? As with anyone else, I guess they moved onto another crappy movie.
It was a good conversation while it lasted . . . then it became mired in a lot of baseless commentary which majorly detracted from it.

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to discuss? Perhaps it can be revived . . .
Old 03-30-04, 03:19 AM
Banned

Yes, dave, that is exactly what I'd like to get your thoughts on. Why is it that in a 23 page thread, absolutely NO ONE brought up the huge racial innaccuracy of the Jews in the whole area being black, including Jesus himself??
Old 03-30-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How does that MLK quote go? "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Perhaps Mel hopes movie-goers are getting the message, regardless of "racial" inaccuracies brought up by people who aren't seeing the larger picture and would rather focus on something not really consequential to the central theme/message of the film.
Old 03-30-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
How does that MLK quote go? "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." Perhaps Mel hopes movie-goers are getting the message, regardless of "racial" inaccuracies brought up by people who aren't seeing the larger picture and would rather focus on something not really consequential to the central theme/message of the film.
Very good answer, Patman.

I also think that bjh_18's post addresses the issue fairly well, too . . . a Mediterranean or Arabic complexion would definitely have been more historically accurate.

Was there more too the issue that you wanted to discuss, isamu?
Old 03-30-04, 10:48 AM

I thought this point has been brought up before (usually placed in the many previous posts that list historical errors or deviations). My take on it? Well, considering Mel went to great lengths to shoot a film in the supposed languages of that time period (although the accuracy of this has been disputed too) it would have been interesting to see him cast the film with actors who had a Mediterranean or Arabic complexion. I can understand why he chose not to do this, but it surely would have been more accurate to history. However, as many posters have pointed out, Mel's stated intention with this movie was to make a movie that is accurate to the Gospels and not necessarily 'history', (in quotes b/c I know some of you see the Gospels as history). Since the Gospels don't describe what color these people are it was left up to Mel's discretion. I actually don't have as much of a problem with the historical innaccuracies as I do with the deviations from the Gospels (and the fact tha Mel claims this movie to be the truth, leading people to believe it IS the Gospels).
Old 03-30-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, it's not like people who see this movie will suddenly lose their ability to crack open the bible and read it for themselves. I trust that people can make up their own minds on the topic.
Old 03-30-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, dave, that is exactly what I'd like to get your thoughts on. Why is it that in a 23 page thread, absolutely NO ONE brought up the huge racial innaccuracy of the Jews in the whole area being black, including Jesus himself??
Well there are only so many black actors. Morgan, Denzel, Wesley and Eddie must have been busy.

In all seriousness, I've read the biblical depictions of Christ(which do vary) but I'd guess he was black. But there is the compelling modern regional evidence to suggest he was dark skinned semetic. The same people have lived in the same places for a long damn time. I'm no scholar or theologian, but if modern perceptions of biblical regions generate a semetic concept, perhaps Gibson thought going with an all black cast would have been confusing.
Old 04-02-04, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Palestinians revel in Gibson's film...

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=4727121
Old 04-02-04, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Financial Times compares Gibson to Bin Laden

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1079420092866
Old 04-02-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, give it up already. anything you have to say concerning the film lost any credibility back in page 2 or something. go watch The Mummy Returns.
Old 04-02-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 04-02-04, 04:08 PM
Suspended

I called him "psychoid" but ...

French Jewish group calls Gibson a "tortured soul"

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...7&section=news
Old 04-02-04, 04:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
oh jeesh I didn't realize that this thread is already on page 22!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.