Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Passion - DVD Talk's Review Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Passion - DVD Talk's Review Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I suppose that if he gets even one person to say "I'd like to learn more" he'd accomplish more than those street preachers who scream "You're going to hell, sinner!" at passerbys ever could.
But at least they are entertaining.
Old 03-17-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Originally posted by movielib
I just want to point out that, on Rotten Tomatoes, 48% of the 200+ reviewers are wrong and 64% of the "Cream of the Crop" - the 40+ designated by Rotten Tomatoes as the top critics in the U.S. and Canada are wrong.
What is this, a popularity contest....?
Old 03-17-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I suppose that if he gets even one person to say "I'd like to learn more" he'd accomplish more than those street preachers who scream "You're going to hell, sinner!" at passerbys ever could.
Yes. I agree 100%. This is why I view our free screenings a success!
Old 03-17-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Originally posted by wlmowery
What is this, a popularity contest....?
Perhaps not, but if Passion had a 95% positive rating (97% from Cream of the Crop) like The Return of the King do you honestly think we wouldn't be hearing about it?

Last edited by movielib; 03-17-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-17-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I don't know - I'm still confused.
If you really want to know, grab a dictionary. It ain't that hard.
Old 03-17-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Perhaps not, but if Passion had a 95% positive rating (97% from Cream of the Crop) like The Return of the King do you honestly think we wouldn't be hearing about it?
Of course not... well... maybe a little... but you see, it'd be warranted I tell you....

Old 03-17-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: One More Thing...

Originally posted by croweyes1121
One other thought: you might not have as much "contempt" for someone like Mel Gibson (or others you disagree with) if Christ was actually a part of your life. Contempt doesn't factor into that kind of philosophy.

Oh ... good ... lord. What a load of utter BS. Unlike many, I won't paint with a broad stroke, but all you've got to do is turn on a Christian television station to see live broadcasts of utter contempt.

Don't go saying that Christians are free of contempt. Some (<- note SOME) of the Christians I know are the most contemptuous, unforgiving, superior people I've ever met.

Originally posted by croweyes1121
And if Christ ISN'T a part of your life or philosophy, then you need to ask yourself what possible value your opinions on this film really contain.
So in your mind, only Christians should have an opinion on the film itself? By that logic, only Americans who have been to Japan should have an opinion on Lost in Translation. Only people who have read (and BELIEVE IN) all three Lord of the Rings books should have an opinion on those films. Only people who have to deal with multiple personalities in their lives should have an opinion on Fight Club.

Is that what you're saying? I hope it's not, because you cannot possibly be that far gone.
Old 03-17-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Nope.... Not valueless... Wrong , but not valueless....

Seriously, both ends of the spectrum tend to take it much too far. But I will say that I do devalue an opinion where their is lack of experience that I believe necessary to the formation of an honest and well-considered opinion.
Dang, it Wayne . . . you type to fast . . .

I was goint to say that movielib's post are valueless, but that it has nothing to do with whether or not he believes in Jesus.

I think that the other issue that I see is that, I feel like, in order to accommodate people who look in here for insight into the movie prior to viewing it, we have to spend a lot of time correcting, or at least addressing, baracine's "facts" and opinions that are inaccurate or misleading as a direct result of him not having seen the film.
Old 03-17-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dave-o
. . . I also can understand baracine's standpoint. I actually debated about if I wanted to put money in Mel's pocket. It is a tough call because if you go to the film and you end up believing that it is evil, than you have just supported it and it is too late.
I agree that this is a perfectly acceptable standpoint, but if you decide not to see a movie, read a book, etc. shouldn't you focus you input to a thread that is discussing why you decided not to see it instead of one that is focusing on it's actual content and the validity/quality of reviews of that content?

Otherwise, whether it is intentional or not, your comments are likely to end up being nothing more than trolling.
Old 03-17-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by talemyn

I think that the other issue that I see is that, I feel like, in order to accommodate people who look in here for insight into the movie prior to viewing it, we have to spend a lot of time correcting, or at least addressing, baracine's "facts" and opinions that are inaccurate or misleading as a direct result of him not having seen the film.
Yes, he's been flat out wrong about several things and it's annoying to me also. Hell, if he doesn't want to contribute to Mel, I'll pay for a ticket for him to see it just so he knows what he's talking about.
Old 03-17-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Yes, he's been flat out wrong about several things and it's annoying to me also. Hell, if he doesn't want to contribute to Mel, I'll pay for a ticket for him to see it just so he knows what he's talking about.
I was thinking the same thing about 20 minutes ago . . . all we need is an address and I'll have MovieTickets.com send it to his house . . . I'll even pay for him to take a date.
Old 03-17-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Of course not... well... maybe a little... but you see, it'd be warranted I tell you....

Old 03-17-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

I was thinking the same thing about 20 minutes ago . . . all we need is an address and I'll have MovieTickets.com send it to his house . . . I'll even pay for him to take a date.
I'll go halvesies with you.
Old 03-17-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

I'll go halvesies with you.
Do you think that we can get Groucho to cover the popcorn and drinks?
Old 03-17-04, 12:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Sure sure...stick me with the biggest portion of the bill. You cheapskates will probably send him to a matinee.
Old 03-17-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Do you think that we can get Groucho to cover the popcorn and drinks?
Sure, but I've got an idea. Someone in New York could buy him one of those bootleg DVDs and send it to him.

[Kidding, kidding, I do not advocate bootlegs. Please don't ban me.]
Old 03-17-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Sure, but I've got an idea. Someone in New York could buy him one of those bootleg DVDs and send it to him.
Old 03-17-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree 100%. Many of his problems are not problems with the film, but with his lack of knowledge as to the actual content of the film....

And I'm not really much of a typist. I just have no life, a private office and some free time today...
Old 03-17-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh... And I'll cover the tax on the concession goods....
Old 03-17-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One More Thing...

Bye...
Old 03-17-04, 12:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Oh... And I'll cover the tax on the concession goods....
Baracine lives in Canada. Better secure a second mortgage first.
Old 03-17-04, 12:29 PM
Suspended

Relax, guys! I wouldn't want to see this film if you paid me. It's bad enough having to live with the film's continuous blaring publicity. This morning, for instance, Toronto woke up to a rash of swastikas painted on the doors of residents of Jewish neighbourhoods with the words "Jews Suk"... It has begun...

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...uery=vandalism
Old 03-17-04, 12:30 PM

Baracine lives in Canada...

Ahhhh, now everything makes perfect sense...his opinions are now null and void.

Let's move on shall we?

need to add this:

Now our neighbor to the north (baracine) would a have us believe that the "Passion" is responsible for this, despite this quote contained within the article:

He went on to point out that anti-Semitism is not new to the area, and that his force recorded 91 hate crimes last year, up almost 70 per cent from 2002.

Baracine,

It appears that it is you who are spreading hate, lies and distortions. Please stop. It's embarrassing.

Last edited by aroney; 03-17-04 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by baracine
Relax, guys! I wouldn't want to see this film if you paid me. It's bad enough having to live with the film's continuous blaring publicity. This morning, for instance, Toronto woke up to a rash of swastikas painted on the doors of residents of Jewish neighbourhoods with the words "Jews Suk"... It has begun...

You did read that article. Where it stated that the location of this despicable act is the location of 70 out of 587 of the reported hate crimes against jewish people in all of Canada. And that these hate crimes have been on the increase well prior to the release of The Passion of The Christ.

How exactly do you tie this to the film as per your "It has begun" comment???
Old 03-17-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by baracine
Relax, guys! I wouldn't want to see this film if you paid me. It's bad enough having to live with the film's continuous blaring publicity.
I thought you might say that.
This morning, for instance, Toronto woke up to a rash of swastikas painted on the doors of residents of Jewish neighbourhoods with the words "Jews Suk"... It has begun...

This is deplorable, of course. I am particularly sensitive to such things having been raised Jewish.

Adding to what wlmowery said:

What is the link to Passion? And even if these disgusting chowderheads say they were influenced by the film (which we don't know), they did it, not the movie. Such a message is not in the film; and don't we also believe in personal responsibility?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.