DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   do you think Richard Gere was a lead or supporting in Chicago? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/349082-do-you-think-richard-gere-lead-supporting-chicago.html)

Rypro 525 02-24-04 09:15 AM

do you think Richard Gere was a lead or supporting in Chicago?

In my opinion, the only reason Richard Gere didn't get nominated for Chicago, while the rest of the cast did, was that the acadamy couldn't decide if his part was a lead role (he wasn't in the movie for that long) or a supporting role that John C. Reily already had been nominated for.

fumanstan 02-24-04 10:39 AM

Supporting... but even then i didn't feel that he did much to get nominated. Of course, i didn't think CZJ deserved it either. Shrug.

conscience 02-24-04 04:09 PM

supporting.

They/He was crazy for putting him in contention for the Best Actor Award. Please.

Wanting the Golden Globe for Best Actor Comedy/Musical (which he won) is a lot different than a Best Actor Oscar.

BTW - there was a weird nomination process for this film. Catherine Zeta-Jones was just as important as Renee in the film...but got a supporting nod (and win).

Josh-da-man 02-24-04 08:44 PM

Only the gerbils know for certain.

Supermallet 02-24-04 08:51 PM

Not to threadcrap, but could it be that Richard Gere didn't get nominated for Chicago because there were five stronger performers in both the best actor AND best supporting actor categories? I still think Gere was the weakest part of Chicago and his win at the golden globes astounds me.

sataniko 02-25-04 03:00 PM

Supporting.

Groucho 02-25-04 03:02 PM

Supporting. It was a strong performance (one of Gere's best), but one of the best five of the year? Probably not.

jaeufraser 02-25-04 03:14 PM

The Academy doesn't decide what place an actor runs in. The studio places their performers in contention for categories (R Gere for supporting, lead, whatever) and the academy votes from there. Miramax in those cases probably decided he should be run as a supporting actor. CZJ was run as supporting because that lifted her chances of winning as Rennee was placed in the lead category. It's all planned out.

Shannon Nutt 02-25-04 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
:lol:

BRIAN 1972 02-25-04 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
YYYEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!

movielib 02-26-04 12:12 AM

Supporting. And I think he deserved a nomination for it (I never thought I'd say that about Gere but he was perfect in this role) but the studio stupidly entered him in the lead category (I think that's what happened).

dcprules 02-26-04 12:32 AM

More of a supporting actor, though he was still in it quite a lot for a supporting bit. I wouldn't call him the lead, though.

And yes, he totally deserved at least a supporting nomination for it. He "razzle dazzled" the audience.