Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Passion of the Christ": the negative Reviews are coming out

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Passion of the Christ": the negative Reviews are coming out

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 11:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Well I guess we can pull the film now.
I wasn't putting up the article as some kind of tell-all scandal that will ruin the film, I just figured it was worth putting up, especially since one of the reviewers mentions historical inaccuracy. Also, I think the lack of historical context is an important point to make.

As for the bit about Robocop, I think the point being made is that if the filmmaker sees fit to put in violence, they should be allowed to put it in, regardless of the subject matter. Why does Jesus get special dispensation? Or is it because it's Mel Gibson?

Also, I had a feeling the actors wouldn't be able to pronounce these dead languages. This article cemented that feeling. Not that it makes a difference, but it was a theory of mine.

And one last thing: I rewatched The Last Temptation of Christ and noticed that two of the things the scholars complain about in Passion, the carrying of the cross and the nails through the hands, are both dealt with correctly in Last Temptation. Jesus carries only the crossbeam to his crucifixion, and the nails are driven through his wrists. Obviously the film has a lot of things that run counter to the gospels, but it was nice to say they got some of the more historical aspects right. To me, a Jesus story is of intellectual interest only, so I would rather see a film take liberties with the gospels (which aren't entirely consistent among themselves) than with verifiable history.

Last edited by Supermallet; 02-23-04 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh well, the film's not going away any time soon and the critics bashing it will just have to deal. It's obviously going to be a love-it-or-hate-it one. Either way, I have a feeling a lot of people will see it, if just for the curiosity factor.

Did anyone see the mom from Malcolm in the Middle commenting on the film on Entertainment Tonight? She sounded like she wanted to put Mel on the cross Apparently she wanted the baby animal version of the Jesus story. I hate to say "it's just a movie", but in reality it is. It's Mel's version based on what he knows and believes, and I think the graphic violence was necessary to truly show the immense suffering Jesus went through.
Old 02-24-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ebert and Roeper's review is now up

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...per/today.html
Old 02-24-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it doesn't take many brain cells to know that this film will get quite a few negative reviews, and that those negative reviews will really have nothing to do with the quality of the movie. This film will get slammed simply because it's a movie about Jesus and the crucifixion, as well as a controversial film.

People, critics included can't review a religious film, much less one this controversial, in a fair manner. There's too much baggage.
Old 02-24-04, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Terrell
Well, it doesn't take many brain cells to know that this film will get quite a few negative reviews, and that those negative reviews will really have nothing to do with the quality of the movie. This film will get slammed simply because it's a movie about Jesus and the crucifixion, as well as a controversial film.
I think it's quite unfair to say that every negative review will have nothing to do with the movie. There isn't objective quality in art, someone's art is someone else's trash. Some people may honestly not like this movie regardless of the controversy, or because it's about Jesus.

Personally, I thought at least first review offered up was fair in its assessment, and not reactionary.
Old 02-24-04, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's quite unfair to say that every negative review will have nothing to do with the movie.
Well, I overstated. Of course not every single review will have nothing to do with the quality of the film. But I've read most of the negative reviews, and most of them really focus on other things than how good the film really is. I mean, people bring too much of their own opinions to a film like this. For instance, most of the reviews slam the movie because of violence. Well no shit. Just because this depiction of Jesus' crucifixion isn't watered down to hell like most of the others, doesn't mean it's wrong. Jesus, who I happen to believe in, was beaten and tortured for hours. If you want to be accurate, that has to be depicted. Crucifixion is a nasty and terrible way to die.

Religion + controversy does not bode well for the reviews. Add violence into that and you really have something.

Last edited by Terrell; 02-24-04 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-24-04, 12:59 AM
Banned by request

I mean, people bring too much of their own opinions to a film like this.
What else is a review besides someone's opinion of the quality of a film? How would you write a review without using your opinion?
Old 02-24-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
I wasn't putting up the article as some kind of tell-all scandal that will ruin the film,
I know. That's why I gave you the " "
Old 02-24-04, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I know. That's why I gave you the " "
Yeah, I kind of figured. Still, someone may have thought that's why I put it up, so...
Old 02-24-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Saw it, thought it was great. The only downside is that the film is basically just a climax. Imagine watching only ROTK, with a few flashbacks to the previous films. Still, I cant wait to see it again. A life-changing experience? No. A well-crafted film? You bet.

And yes, i'm a follower of Christ!

A-
Old 02-24-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
While I am reserving my opinion until I see the film, I will say this much about reviews from Christian groups, they tend to be very biased. While this film looks good, these are the same people that hailed The Omega Code.

What I'm trying to say is, and this is coming from an open-minded Christian if you believe in such a thing, reviews of a movie like this can be very polar and not that open to other opinions.
Old 02-24-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
While I am reserving my opinion until I see the film, I will say this much about reviews from Christian groups, they tend to be very biased. While this film looks good, these are the same people that hailed The Omega Code.

What I'm trying to say is, and this is coming from an open-minded Christian if you believe in such a thing, reviews of a movie like this can be very polar and not that open to other opinions.
I might disagree. While a number of Christians have certainly jumped on the bandwagon (the idea of "any Christian reflection is good Christian reflection" seems to be in play there), there are several Christian reviewers I have talked to that agree with some of the issues that have been brought up (the excessive violence, some of the shots that are a bit on the cheesy side, etc.) In fact, Roger Ebert quotes from one of these reviewers in his review of the movie:

Pilate is seen going through his well-known doubts before finally washing his hands of the matter and turning Jesus over to the priests, but Caiaphas, who also had doubts, is not seen as sympathetically. The critic Steven D. Greydanus, in a useful analysis of the film, writes: "The film omits the canonical line from John's gospel in which Caiaphas argues that it is better for one man to die for the people [so] that the nation be saved.

"Had Gibson retained this line, perhaps giving Caiaphas a measure of the inner conflict he gave to Pilate, it could have underscored the similarities between Caiaphas and Pilate and helped defuse the issue of anti-Semitism."
So I would say with some reservation that all Christian critics are just jumping on the bandwagon. Besides, some of the ones I've talked to hated The Omega Code and Left Behind.
Old 02-24-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
Ebert and Roeper's review is now up

http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/eber...per/today.html
Lara - Thank you for the linky.l
Old 02-24-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
"Maybe it's better if we just learn about Jesus in Sunday school."
"Left in the hands of Mel Gibson and his The Passion of the Christ, the basic message of Christianity - love your brother - is obscured under torrents of blood to the point of benumbing the audience."

Obviously a soft focus baby animal version of Jesus is more what these reviewers wanted. A bloodless Christianity.

See, my servant will act wisely ; he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. Just as there were many who were appalled at him - his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness
Old 02-24-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People, critics included can't review a religious film, much less one this controversial, in a fair manner. There's too much baggage.
Some can, some can't. And it goes both ways.
Old 02-24-04, 10:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by covenant
Obviously a soft focus baby animal version of Jesus is more what these reviewers wanted. A bloodless Christianity.
You're creating a false dichotomy here, where a movie can either be a "soft focus baby animal" version of the story, or have extreme graphic violence. There is a middle ground.
Old 02-24-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I think with all the biases and different religions of the people the ONLY people that can honestly review this film will be atheists. And more than likely none of them will be attending.
Old 02-24-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I think with all the biases and different religions of the people the ONLY people that can honestly review this film will be atheists. And more than likely none of them will be attending.
I disagree... wouldn't a lot of atheists automatically find the idea of a God-movie repugnant or just plain silly?

As with any film that deals with people's personal beliefs, I don't think we're going to be able to get a review without bias. Hell, it's hard to get a fair review of a comic book film, considering those who hate them and those who grew up reading comics... and this is based on THE BIBLE!
Old 02-24-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a negative "review" I ran across that I think we can all agree is rather strange. No atheist could bash this movie as much as this guy.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/TodaysWorld/passion.htm
Old 02-24-04, 11:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I can't figure out if that site is a joke or not.
Old 02-24-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
I can't figure out if that site is a joke or not.
I'm pretty sure it's serious.
Old 02-24-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In reading the quips cut out for use in the Rotten Tomatoes summary, I was reminded of the negative comments that often surround films like A Clockwork Orange.

Sometimes a movie has very little to do with what you see on screen and everything to do with how you feel when you see it. I'm embarassed for the film critic who doesn't understand that.
Old 02-24-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Here's a negative "review" I ran across that I think we can all agree is rather strange. No atheist could bash this movie as much as this guy.

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/TodaysWorld/passion.htm
He SO needs a Buddy Christ...
Old 02-24-04, 12:15 PM
Banned

Roger Ebert gave the movie *. Same with Richard Roeper. I'm not watching it.
Old 02-24-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
You're creating a false dichotomy here, where a movie can either be a "soft focus baby animal" version of the story, or have extreme graphic violence. There is a middle ground.
The biblical account is graphically violent not soft focus, therefore a realistic treatment of the subject matter must be violent.

The sunday school version glosses over the suffering and abuse of Jesus.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.