DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   SAG Awards (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/348820-sag-awards.html)

conscience 02-22-04 08:47 PM

SAG Awards

Didn't see a thread. Can't search (only three letters)

Did anybody watch this?

Happy for Six Feet Under (although this isn't a tv thread)

Shocked Johnny Depp won the award (not saying he was bad, but just was shocked)

What did you guys think?

Goldberg74 02-22-04 08:52 PM

Thanks for starting the thread.

I too was shocked that Johnny Depp (not in attendence) won over Sean Penn (who actually showed up this time).

Other winners tonight:

Rene Zellwegger - Cold Mountain - Supporting Female Actor
Tim Robbins - Mystic River - Supporting Male Actor
Charlize Theron - Monster - Best Female Actor
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Best Esemble

Goldberg74 02-22-04 08:55 PM

rotfl

Gimli bumps Samwise off his soapbox!

(Sean was getting political on bringing the industry back to the states and getting a little too long winded when John literally bumps him out of the way to introduce the Producer of the LORT, also a SAG member.)

conscience 02-22-04 08:56 PM

:lol:

conscience 02-22-04 08:57 PM

Only one realy suprise in the bunch.

Which is better than nothing.

Shannon Nutt 02-22-04 09:09 PM

I laughed when John Rhys-Davies pushed Sean Astin! I think he did what everyone else in the theater wanted to do to him.

Hey Sean! Here's a tip: the next time you want to encourage studios to shoot their films in America, DON'T do it when you're accepting an award for a film shot in NEW ZEALAND!

zekeburger1979 02-22-04 09:09 PM

I hope Johnny's win tonight translates into a Best Actor award at the Oscars next week.

Shannon Nutt 02-22-04 09:11 PM

Originally posted by zekeburger1979
I hope Johnny's win tonight translates into a Best Actor award at the Oscars next week.
Yes, and then we can watch Sean Penn and Bill Murray tag team him in the parking lot. Penn and Murray HAD to have split the voting...that's the only way Depp could have won.

Jackskeleton 02-22-04 10:14 PM

no kidding. I was surprised depp won indeed.

Cornelius1047 02-22-04 11:07 PM

I'm glad.

K

Teremei 02-23-04 02:25 AM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
rotfl

Gimli bumps Samwise off his soapbox!

(Sean was getting political on bringing the industry back to the states and getting a little too long winded when John literally bumps him out of the way to introduce the Producer of the LORT, also a SAG member.)

Actually he bumped him when he was about to thank the 1000's of fans (US). Which I found quite rude.

wirebendr 02-23-04 06:31 AM

I agree it was rude. I think that Astin has a point, but he was getting long-winded and the network was running out of time.

onebyone 02-23-04 06:44 AM

I was rooting for Murray or Depp as best actor, and was pretty shocked when Depp one. I was happy too, I can't root against Johnny. Just isn't possible. Besides, he was super in POC, so I say more power to him.

QuiGonJosh 02-23-04 06:51 AM

Christ...is it really that hard to play Keith Richards with some eye makeup? nah...

RyoHazuki 02-23-04 07:08 AM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Christ...is it really that hard to play Keith Richards with some eye makeup? nah...
Stupid Johnny Depp. He will never reach the pinnacle of acting that the Star Wars movies have acheived.

Caoimhin 02-23-04 07:56 AM

As an actor and SAG member, I appreciate the number of actors opposing overseas/foreign productions. Unfortunately, I don't see very many actively turning down projects in order to do so. I just see it as so much rhetoric from someone whose biggest project to date is a three-picture epic filmed entirely in New Zealand. I'm not a big fan of the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.

And it pains me that Peter Dinklage didn't win.

Groucho 02-23-04 07:58 AM

Interesting results to be sure. I think Depp is less of a long-shot for Oscar night now.

Supreme Sean 02-23-04 08:15 AM

So, if I star in an overly cute movie, and act all fay, and wave my hands around when I speak, I can win a SAG award for Best Actor too ?

Jackskeleton 02-23-04 10:31 AM

The guy has paid his dues and has been overlooked in many other films where he deserved the nod while his costars were given it. Depp deserved it. Hell Imagine how sucky Pirates would have been without him?

Kal-El 02-23-04 11:01 AM

Bah. Typical post-award DVDTalk backlash. Next thing you know you're all back to lauding him when he doesn't win the Oscar and that SeanPenn's or Bill Murray's performances weren't "all that".

Jackskeleton 02-23-04 11:15 AM

I would gladly welcome depp winning as a just deserved win. Bill Murray and Penn both deserve it, though much like any award, there can only be one 1st place.

raven56706 02-23-04 12:20 PM

This could mean alot though......

Last time, Halle Berry won for best Actress in the SAG's and then she won in the Oscars. The SAG's makes up 1700 members of the 5800 members of the oscars.

I am telling you guys.... it makes the Best Actor category alittle bit more interesting.

Peep 02-23-04 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Caoimhin
As an actor and SAG member, I appreciate the number of actors opposing overseas/foreign productions. Unfortunately, I don't see very many actively turning down projects in order to do so. I just see it as so much rhetoric from someone whose biggest project to date is a three-picture epic filmed entirely in New Zealand. I'm not a big fan of the "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.
Maybe I'm confused about the concept of runaway productions, but my understanding is that the chief complaint is when movies (or television shows) that are set in the United States are filmed in another country and done so solely for financial reasons. If so, "Cold Mountain" would be an example of a runaway production, whereas "Lord of the Rings" (set in Middle Earth, not the USA) would not.

Groucho 02-23-04 12:34 PM

On the flip side, there have been a lot more productions set in foreign countries that were actually filmed in some studio backlot in Los Angeles.

Charlie Goose 02-23-04 02:43 PM

I didn't watch, but please tell me that someone gave the standard speech of, "This is the award that means the most because it's from my fellow ACTORS!"