Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

most overrated movie of 2004 so far?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-21-04, 11:18 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See any movie in the 2 months of this year that you felt were overrated? Got a lot of critical and/or audience priase but was just lacking for you?

I know it technically came out in 2003, but my most overrated movies would have to bee Last Samurai and Monster.

was I missing something? What a dull movie. Talk about a movie that just sat there. Yea, Charlize did a great job as well as her makeup people, but naomi watts totally deserves the oscar over her. And the movie was just really bland. It played like a shitty tv movie with a bit more cussing and violence. A real by the numbers job. Big dissapointment.
Old 02-21-04, 11:39 PM

I don't think anything has been released yet in 2004 that has been over-praised. Most pics in theaters last two months have received fairly dismal notices. I just saw Bernardo Bertolucci's "The Dreamers" yesterday. I really enjoyed it. I would imagine many film enthusiasts (people who refer to motion pictures as "film" and not "movies") will be quite taken by it.

Last edited by Tarnower; 02-21-04 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 11:45 PM

thats good news. I plan on seeing THE DREAMERS tommorw.
Old 02-22-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only movies I thought were blah so far in 2004 are Battle Royale II (it was finally made available to English speakers/readers this year so I can count it), Starsky and Hutch, and the awful Along Came Polly.

But what? It's barely two months into the year so far... there's tons of films that haven't been released yet... some bad... some good...
Old 02-22-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could very well be The Passion of the Christ. Time will tell.
Old 02-22-04, 03:02 AM
Banned

Big Fish
Old 02-22-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Overrated movies of 2004???? Too soon to tell, I'm still waiting for the good movies of 2004 (with the exception of Big Fish and Miracle, nothing good has been playing).
Old 02-22-04, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Passion of Christ, regardless of the quality. It could be the next Magnificent Ambersons, and it would still be overblown, overhyped, and overdiscussed. I am so sick of the supposed "controversies" - it is only a movie, for Christ's sakes! And one by Mr. Mad Max, at that.

Other films which already ARE overrated, despite not playing in the US yet:

Young Adam
Goodbye Lenin!
Old 02-22-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Grimfarrow
The Passion of Christ, regardless of the quality. It could be the next Magnificent Ambersons, and it would still be overblown, overhyped, and overdiscussed. I am so sick of the supposed "controversies" - it is only a movie, for Christ's sakes! And one by Mr. Mad Max, at that.
Yes, but who's overhyping it? I haven't seen many ads or trailers on TV for the movie - but I have seen it on every news program and website forum in the past few months. Can't blame Gibson for taking advantage of free press.
Old 02-22-04, 08:59 AM
Banned

Passion is gonna be the most overrated overhyped film in a LONG time...
Old 02-22-04, 09:42 AM

that would be 'The Dreamers'
Old 02-22-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, but who's overhyping it? I haven't seen many ads or trailers on TV for the movie - but I have seen it on every news program and website forum in the past few months. Can't blame Gibson for taking advantage of free press.
That reminds me of people I know who used to tell me that they didn't like Micheal Jordan becuase the refs let him get away with more the other players on the court. What'd they expect, that Micheal would start calling fouls and violations on himself?

Same thing here . . . admittedly, Gibson is doing his best to promote his film, but it is everyone else, many of whom who are against what he has done, who are creating th over-hype.
Old 02-22-04, 01:11 PM

It was released in 2003, but it's still playing, so it still counts.

I thought Mystic River was hideously over-rated. Sure, it was good, but nowhere near Best Picture good. Moreover, I don't really understand what was so special about it in the first place. For me, it seemed no different than any other movie in its genre. People keep telling me it was the acting--please. I thought Sean Penn did an awful job and I sincerely hope he doesn't win. And I was no big fan of Tim Robbins in his role, either.

I just don't get it.
Old 02-22-04, 01:25 PM

Big FIsh. good, but not great at all. Got shitty near the ending.
Old 02-22-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Outside of Big Fish, 2004 releases haven't interested me much. Although, I have caught up with the Oscar movies:

House of Sand and Fog: B+
21 Grams: B
Big Fish: B+
Monster: B+
The Cooler: B+
Mystic River: A-

Ask me this question mid-year.
Old 02-22-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
that would be 'The Dreamers'
I concur.
Old 02-22-04, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by futbol
It was released in 2003, but it's still playing, so it still counts.

I thought Mystic River was hideously over-rated. Sure, it was good, but nowhere near Best Picture good. Moreover, I don't really understand what was so special about it in the first place. For me, it seemed no different than any other movie in its genre. People keep telling me it was the acting--please. I thought Sean Penn did an awful job and I sincerely hope he doesn't win. And I was no big fan of Tim Robbins in his role, either.

I just don't get it.
I completely agree with you. I just don't understand why almost every critic in the country is going ga-ga over it. Most naming it the best film of the year. Why? I thought Eastwood captured the atmosphere of that neighborhood very well. But the story was just kinda routine. Like something you'd see on a cable channel. TBS Movie of the Week, or some such. Even Stephen King (in his back page EW column) said it was the best film he's seen in something like the last ten years. Whatever it supposedly has certainly eludes me. I thought Penn and Robbins were okay, but not deserving of an Oscar. I thought Penn was far more deserving for his work on "Dead Man Walking," and Robbins for his underrated work in "Jacob's Ladder." I actually thought the best acting in the film came from Marcia Gay Harden, as Robbins' paranoid wife. Reminded me of a character from a Hitchcock film, with her whole world slowly beginning to close-in on her. Ironically, most slams I read on movie sites are directed at her being nominated. Oh well, guess I'm out of touch on this one.
Old 02-22-04, 05:39 PM

lost in translation gets my vote
Old 02-22-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
naomi watts totally deserves the oscar over her.
I love love LOVE Naomi Watts.. and completely disagree with that. I guess after seeing Mulholland Drive a hundred times, her performance in 21 Grams seemed awfully routine (rather.. both times I saw it, I just couldn't buy into it... Seemed 'off' for some reason)

Agree, Monster did play out like a made-for-TV special, but it was decent non-the-less, kind of uncomfortable to watch, Theron was amazing though.

I loved Last Samurai as well, but I'm a samurai nut and completely loved the world they created for it (moreso than plot, the period they spend just walking around the town was by far my favorite part.) Still need to see Twilight Samurai.

Actually, not too many films I've seen lately I would consider "overrated". Monster was rated about right, House of Sand and Fog was a bit overrated, Last Samurai was underrated, and everything else I've seen in 2004 has been slammed already. Really liked Big Fish, LotR, LiT, etc; as well. Cold Mountain was a bit 'eh.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-22-04 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by dyerjp
lost in translation gets my vote
That's actually from 2003.
Old 02-22-04, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by MGBGT
That's actually from 2003.

along with the majority of the movies that everybody else listed on here. i only see 1 or 2 movies in this thread that are from 2004.

Last edited by dyerjp; 02-22-04 at 09:41 PM.