Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

An article on Oscar blunders. Do you agree or disagree?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

An article on Oscar blunders. Do you agree or disagree?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-04, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geez Groucho. Could we have synchronized that response any closer.
Old 02-22-04, 11:34 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scroll2b
If they hate the winners so much, don't watch the next ceremony. It's that simple.

Actually, its not. The winners are plastered in just about every magazine, newspaper etc.
Old 02-22-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JustinS
I don't recall the author mentioning that he "hate(d) all the winners" or even most of them. I strongly suspect that his article was written from a place of genuine affection for both film and the Academy Awards.

I'm sure your "logic" makes sense on some planet in the galaxy...just not this one.

Well, I strongly suspect that the word "hate" doesn't have to be literally used in order to get the message across. Perhaps for some of those listed under dishonorable mention he had some unkind words, if not a mean-spirited agenda. However, what he had to say about Benigni was downright hateful, in my opinion, and it was the main reason for my responding.

"We'll spare you the details of why "Life is Beautiful" is one of the most offensive, callous, self-serving, sappy films to ever dupe both the nation and the Academy...."

Dupe both the nation and the Academy? I completely disagree. One of the most offensive? I think not. Self-serving? Care to explain? Sappy? No, he employed a lot of emotion effectively. And so what if he did? What, that's no longer allowed? What's wrong with being "hyperactive"? How was he "megalomaniacal"?

"Benigni doesn't give a performance as much as celebrate himself and his "clever" idea. He wants to be Keaton or Chaplin, but we see his jokes coming from miles away."

I never thought so.

"He's mugging and winking at the audience the whole way through and the result is nauseating."

Again, I completely disagree.

His shtick was good enough to fool the Academy, however, allowing Benigni to embarrass himself (again) on national TV by running around like a madman while gushing such drivel as "My body is in tumult ... I would like to be ... lying down and making love to everybody."

Don't tell me this is not hateful. This was his triumphant moment, and I was so glad I recorded it. It was pure and heartfelt, and I replayed it over and over again for days. I remember the way I felt when the film ended in the theater. It was as if Benigni had ripped my heart out and thrown it away, and I had never felt such an experience before, not even with Braveheart. It was an amazing tragedy, and an amazing comedy.

So don't tell me that I must have the logic of an alien just because I take great offense to what this guy had to say about one of the great films and performances of 1998. If we disagree, fine, but don't go insulting me because I flamed this guy. Remember, we’re members here. It’s against the rules to do that to each other. Disputes may arise, but let’s keep it clean, okay Earthling?

Last edited by scroll2b; 02-22-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 02:55 PM

scroll2b, I also was very moved by "Life is Beautiful." For one thing, it's got a magnificent score (which also won an Oscar). Another is the emotional impact the film had on me. That ending was just something else. I loved Benigni in it, although I don't know if he really should have won Best Actor for it. Personally, I thought Ian McKellen should have got it in 1998 for "Gods and Monsters." Or even Edward Norton for "American History X." FYI, other nominees that year were Nick Nolte for "Affliction" and Tom Hanks for "Saving Private Ryan" (awesome year for actors, no?!). Not to slight Benigni, but I felt "Life" was more a triumph of writing and directing than acting. Certainly deserving of its other wins, though: Best Foreign-Language Film and Original Dramatic Score.
Old 02-22-04, 03:17 PM

>>I love the Alternate Oscars book myself. It's all just in fun, some folks take this business WAYYYY too seriously IMHO.
Old 02-22-04, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never cared much for annie hall, love star wars, but my pick for best pic that year is close encounters of the third kind...
Old 02-22-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen "Chicago" (but I've seen the production, with Bebe Neuwirth, oh joy!), but was it really the most deserving that year?
Old 02-22-04, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Andalusia
I haven't seen "Chicago" (but I've seen the production, with Bebe Neuwirth, oh joy!), but was it really the most deserving that year?
IMO....No! I thought "Chicago" was rousing and highly entertaining, but I felt the Best Picture Oscar should have gone to "The Pianist." And, for a while, it seemed like it just might: having won Best Director, Actor and Screenplay. I thought the "Chicago" train had stalled-out at Best Supporting Actress. I think time will look upon "The Pianist" as much more substantial and important than "Chicago."
Old 02-22-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I diagree with supporting actress.

I loved Marisa Tomei's performance and it was a nice change from the dramatic tones we see every year.
Old 02-22-04, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evitagen
The author 'supports' his opinion several times by saying a certain person deserved an award because never before had they gotten one. That's just silly. That's the purpose of a 'Lifetime Achievement' award.
I have actually read his book "Alternate Oscars" and he is such a hypocritical person.

For example: He says he wants to give his "alternate oscar" to the best performance of the year, while in many different cases he says "so and so has already gotten my alternate oscar so I will go with so and so."

complete b.s.
Old 02-22-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

two words:

sour grapes.
Old 02-22-04, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by conscience
I diagree with supporting actress.

I loved Marisa Tomei's performance and it was a nice change from the dramatic tones we see every year.
Agree. She not only stold "My Cousin Vinny," she owned it as well. Throughout Oscar history, the Academy has, every now and then, awarded a very outgoing comic performance (usually in the supporting categories) with an Oscar. The other ones that come to mind are Judy Holliday in "Born Yesterday" (Actress), Kevin Kline in "A Fish Called Wanda" (Supporting Actor) and George Burns in "The Sunshine Boys" (Supporting Actor). You're right, it's a nice change from all the somber performances that usually receive the award.
Old 02-22-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's what I think are the worst Oscar choices for Best Picture were (hint: I'm a guy)

Terms of Endearment over The Right Stuff. Does anyone even watch TOE anymore?
Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. Same question.
Ghandi over ET. Gimme a break on this one, it should have been in the bag for Steven. Ghandi is pretty terrible, IMO.
The Sting over The Exorcist or American Graffiti. The Sting is, IMO, one of the most overrated movies around.
Old 02-22-04, 08:23 PM

I love the Exorcist (one of my favorite films), but The Sting is a great movie that holds up very well. Robert Shaw should have been nominated in the Supporting category (though Houseman still wins it).

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: Robin Williams for Good Will Hunting. Ugh. If ever a performance cried "please, give me an Oscar, I'm emoting," it was that one. Burt Reynolds for Boogie Nights. That's my pick.

Agree 100% with the critiques of Life is Beautiful, though it's evident several posters here disagree. Ditto A Beautiful Mind.

I still think Dog Day Afternoon deserved more gold, but it's hard to argue against One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Still, I think this was Pacino's best work...
Old 02-22-04, 08:42 PM

You know something, I rarely ever agree with the Oscar's, so guess what I do? I don't keep up with them.
Old 02-22-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another big to Marisa Tomei. I loved that performance.
Old 02-23-04, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but I refuse to watch the Oscars again after I saw Julia Roberts steal the Best Actress oscar from Ellen Burstyn in Requiem For A Dream, and more recently, Roger Moore winning Best Documentary for that POS movie "Bowling For Columbine"
Old 02-23-04, 09:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
Roger Moore winning Best Documentary for that POS movie "Bowling For Columbine"

"You take that back!"
Old 02-23-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
This guy has no mention of Pacino in the worst character ever recorded captured on film? This is one of the worse travesties the academy has ever perpetrated.
Old 02-23-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wasn't listed, but the Hoop Dreams snub was absolutely criminal.

Sally Field for Places in the Heart. Admittedly a weak year, but c'mon!
Old 02-23-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think Dustin Hoffman should be on that list. i just watched that movie a few nights ago and thought his performance was one of the best of all-time.
Old 02-23-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
Ghandi over ET. Gimme a break on this one, it should have been in the bag for Steven. Ghandi is pretty terrible, IMO.
ET? Given the nominees of 82, Ghandi is by far the best film...

Of course, this Saving Private Ryan nonsense needs to stop as well... From the 98 nominees, The Thin Red Line is the best of the bunch.

This kind of stuff happens every year, the Academy is no different than you and I... They're human and have opinions. Sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong... Personally, I think there's too much weight placed on the Oscars... Winning or losing doesn't change anything. Good is good, crap is crap.
Old 02-23-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it's Gandhi you guys.
Old 02-23-04, 11:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Throwing in my €0.02!

I think in terms of Oscars that were wrongly awarded, I think there are relatively few such disasters!

A few comments though:

1. Annie Hall winning over Star Wars is actually not a surprise, especially since AMPAS members were getting a bit desperate to finally reward Woody Allen's above-average career as filmmaker and actor up to that time. Fortunately, Annie Hall is a superb movie, probably one of Allen's finest works.

2. The more I think about it, Shakespeare in Love was in many ways a better film than Saving Private Ryan. Other than that extremely realistic and bloody scene at the beginning of the movie, Saving Private Ryan wasn't really that great of a movie. Meanwhile, Shakespeare in Love was wonderful and funny from start to finish.

3. I think there were two reasons why Gandhi won over E.T.: The Extraterrestrial: 1) AMPAS voters are suckers for big epic films and 2) AMPAS voters got a bit sick and tired of the marketing and product tie-ins to E.T.
Old 02-24-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree with the marketing and product tie-ins bit. There's too much hoopla today. Remember that animated Prince of Egypt movie? They had fast-food tie-ins that some people questioned, I think. Toys, too. Right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.