Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl Next Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Ebert gave this movie a 1/2* and gave the Alamo ***1/2
Old 04-09-04, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ham sandwich
Old 04-09-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by outcastja
Ebert gave this movie a 1/2* and gave the Alamo ***1/2

Is it time for another "What is Roger Ebert thinking" thread?

In all honesty, I seem to notice a lot of mainstream critics feel the need to bash movies like this when they are released. Granted, most movies like this are crap, but whenever a gem comes along it seems as though they have no way to distinguish it from the rest of the garbage.
Old 04-09-04, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell from reading all your comments that I will not like this movie very much. Not enough gross content/nudity/tastless stuff.
Old 04-09-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by icondude
I can tell from reading all your comments that I will not like this movie very much. Not enough gross content/nudity/tastless stuff.
No there isn't. There's a good story and pretty good acting though (along with some boobies thrown in for the American Pie crowd who needs them in every teen-sex comedy)
Old 04-09-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by icondude

That kind of material does not a good movie make.

Interesting how critics bash all teen angst/comedies. Of course they are seldom made for that crowd.
Old 04-09-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD

In all honesty, I seem to notice a lot of mainstream critics feel the need to bash movies like this when they are released. Granted, most movies like this are crap, but whenever a gem comes along it seems as though they have no way to distinguish it from the rest of the garbage.
What about Ebert giving a piece of s like "The Whole Ten Yards" a higher rating? Oh sure, he gave that one FULL star Still.......
Old 04-09-04, 10:55 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Lemme play devil's advocate here, but maybe some people (and critics) genuinely think the film is of poor quality, regardless of the absence of lowball humor (which isn't really true). Why isn’t that allowed?

Opinion is tough to swallow here, I understand. But why is Ebert “kwazy” when he gives what many people (people + critics) have found to be a less than ideal filmgoing experience?

I've seen the movie twice now (just to cement my feelings on the film), and both times, nobody was really laughing, and reaction was poor afterwards.
Old 04-09-04, 11:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
Lemme play devil's advocate here, but maybe some people (and critics) genuinely think the film is of poor quality, regardless of the absence of lowball humor (which isn't really true). Why isn’t that allowed?
I am reminded of The Passion of the Christ. If a negative review came out, it was because the reviewer had "an agenda" or was "paid off." The idea that somebody might just think it was a bad movie wasn't allowed.

For the record, Ebert gave all three of the American Pie movies 3 stars. Additionally, he praises Risky Business in the review for The Girl Next Door...so it's not like he's automatically dismissing this movie because it's a teenage sex comedy.
Old 04-09-04, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Seantn
yes
[bitch slap]
Old 04-09-04, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton

I've seen the movie twice now (just to cement my feelings on the film), and both times, nobody was really laughing, and reaction was poor afterwards.
I have also seen this movie twice and the audience response was the complete opposite. Both showings received lots of laughs and most people seem to have enjoyed the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and Elisha Cuthbert is absolutely smoking in this movie..
Old 04-09-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Elisha may be smoking, but I don't think there is such a thing as a girl being so smoking hot in a movie that it alone should justify buying a ticket. A lot of the reviews around here talk greatly about how hot she is in the movie, and while I like her, she cannot possibly be as hot as some of the guys here claim. I've seen her on 24, and she's good looking, but not that special.
Old 04-09-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 04-09-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great movie.. It made good points and yes she is smoking
Old 04-09-04, 02:38 PM

My review is now up

http://www.moviecontests.com/reviews/girlnextdoor2.html
Old 04-09-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this film suffered from the lack of some background music during many scenes because of the low energy by the acting made for very quiet scenes, you could almost hear crickets chirping. Other than the hotness of Elisha and the other ladies, the film is merely passable, and not all that endearing or interesting.

I'd give it 2.5 stars or a grade of C+.
Old 04-09-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess you could say I've kind of grown up with teen-gross-out comedies. Usually I'd just check them out for the T&A and the typical cheap laugh. Although this one was different. There was a great story, great characters, and some real emotion. Particularly his perverted friend and the older bad guy in the movie; I'm sorry I don't remember movie names all to well, but they were great characters that brought the movie to life. The T&A was great of course, but it was in context of a good movie. I'd take this over some Eurotrip any day. I'd give it an 8/10.
Old 04-09-04, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox must like to re-cycle some of their TV actors. I spotted Olivia Wilde, the daughter from "Skin", and Tara from "Paradise Hotel" in the flick. I also noticed that David Daskill (Average Joe Hawaii) was one of the classmates.

Last edited by Patman; 04-09-04 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-10-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Fox must like to re-cycle some of their TV actors. I spotted Olivia Wilde, the daughter from "Skin", and Tara from "Paradise Hotel" in the flick.
Whoa! What scene was Tara in? I missed it - d'oh!!

Thanks!
Old 04-10-04, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, I saw the film three times (both public sneak previews and today) and each time everybody in the theater was laughing and the reaction after was quite positive.
Old 04-10-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tara was in a quick shot at the beginning of the film as Matthew is trying to sort out what he'll remember about high school. Olivia is one of the 3 girls that Kelly is chatting up at the high school (the "always leave them wanting more" scene).
Old 04-10-04, 04:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Elisha may be smoking, but I don't think there is such a thing as a girl being so smoking hot in a movie that it alone should justify buying a ticket.
Um who said anything about buying a ticket ?

The SVCD release is bloody good quality
Old 04-10-04, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
That release has been floating around for a looooooooong time though. I believe even before the original release date, back before it got pushed back a month.
Old 04-10-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tag you're it
Old 04-10-04, 08:06 PM

I saw this film and it was fantastic. The Audience reactions were incredible; everybody cracked up and there was actual applause at the end of the film. I can't even remember the last time someone clapped at the end of a film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.