DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best of the early 30s pre code gangster movies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/348257-best-early-30s-pre-code-gangster-movies.html)

Rypro 525 02-19-04 06:54 PM

Best of the early 30s pre code gangster movies?

public enemy is my favorite

Mondo Kane 02-19-04 07:00 PM

Gotta go with PE too

The doorstep delivery always makes for a helluva scene.

Chad 02-19-04 08:33 PM

I've always been a fan of the original Scarface.

It has Boris Karloff. :)

chente 02-19-04 10:49 PM

Angel's With Dirty Faces. I love that movie.

shaun3000 02-20-04 12:53 AM

pre-code? :confused:

jaeufraser 02-20-04 02:14 AM

Originally posted by shaun3000
pre-code? :confused:
Haye's Code. It was a set of standards instituted in the 30s (which subsequently fell in the 60s to be replaced by the voluntary rating system of the MPAA). It was a rather strict set of rules outling levels of decency in films...i.e. no cursing, sexually suggestive stuff, etc etc.

Jaymole 02-20-04 07:41 AM

Angels With Dirty Faces isn't pre-code, it came out in 1938.

PixyJunket 02-20-04 08:27 AM

I want to see all of these!! :(

sataniko 02-20-04 08:30 AM

I thought the original Scarface was pretty good, I haven't seen the others.

wendersfan 02-20-04 04:59 PM

Scarface

Howard Hawks is the man.

Rypro 525 02-20-04 05:23 PM

unforutunatly, none of these are on dvd. but angels with dirty faces will be playing on TCM on 02/26/2004 at 09:15 AM

Chad 02-20-04 06:15 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
unforutunatly, none of these are on dvd. but angels with dirty faces will be playing on TCM on 02/26/2004 at 09:15 AM
The original Scarface is available on DVD with the Scarface Deluxe Gift Set.

Rypro 525 02-25-04 09:29 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
but angels with dirty faces will be playing on TCM on 02/26/2004 at 09:15 AM
bump for those intersted.

PixyJunket 02-25-04 09:51 PM

Damnation I don't have cable. :(

LBPound 02-25-04 10:39 PM

Angels with Filthy Souls

Rypro 525 02-25-04 10:49 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
Angels with Filthy Souls
thats not a real movie. (you are talking about the movie that is seen in the first and second Home Alone movies right?)

Torchur317 01-24-09 03:07 PM

Re: Best of the early 30s pre code gangster movies?

Picked up Little Ceasar & The Public Enemy today,looking forward to checking them out....

HistoryProf 01-24-09 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaeufraser (Post 4574823)
Haye's Code. It was a set of standards instituted in the 30s (which subsequently fell in the 60s to be replaced by the voluntary rating system of the MPAA). It was a rather strict set of rules outling levels of decency in films...i.e. no cursing, sexually suggestive stuff, etc etc.

it's the "Hays Code" - named for William Hays, a leading republican who left Harding's cabinet to take charge of the new Hollywood Producers of America association. he was quite conservative and appalled at things like adultery, abortion, and other "Mature" themes that were becoming more and more common in films. There were even a few that showed boobies!

it's really sad to think about how different film history could have been without those fuckheads. there are some incredibly daring and risque films from the early 30s before the code went into effect in 1934.

Everyone should see Baby Face (1933 w/ Barbara Stanwyck) to see what Hollywood was doing before Hays ruined it all.

The Production Code enumerated three "General Principles" as follows:

1. No picture shall be produced that will lower the moral standards of those who see it. Hence the sympathy of the audience should never be thrown to the side of crime, wrongdoing, evil or sin.
2. Correct standards of life, subject only to the requirements of drama and entertainment, shall be presented.
3. Law, natural or human, shall not be ridiculed, nor shall sympathy be created for its violation.

Specific restrictions were spelled out as "Particular Applications" of these principles:

* nakedness and suggestive dances were prohibited.
* The ridicule of religion was forbidden, and ministers of religion were not to be represented as comic characters or villains.
* The depiction of illegal drug use was forbidden, as well as the use of liquor, "when not required by the plot or for proper characterization."
* Methods of crime (e.g. safe-cracking, arson, smuggling) were not to be explicitly presented.
* References to alleged sex perversion (such as homosexuality) and venereal disease were forbidden, as were depictions of childbirth.
* The language section banned various words and phrases that were considered to be offensive.
* Murder scenes had to be filmed in a way that would discourage imitations in real life, and brutal killings could not be shown in detail. "Revenge in modern times" was not to be justified.
* The sanctity of marriage and the home had to be upheld. "Pictures shall not imply that low forms of sex relationship are the accepted or common thing." Adultery and illicit sex, although recognized as sometimes necessary to the plot, could not be explicit or justified and were not supposed to be presented as an attractive option.
* Portrayals of miscegenation were forbidden.
* "Scenes of Passion" were not to be introduced when not essential to the plot. "Excessive and lustful kissing" was to be avoided, along with any other treatment that might "stimulate the lower and baser element."
* The flag of the United States was to be treated respectfully, and the people and history of other nations were to be presented "fairly."
* The treatment of "Vulgarity," defined as "low, disgusting, unpleasant, though not necessarily evil, subjects" must be "subject to the dictates of good taste." Capital punishment, "third-degree methods," cruelty to children and animals, prostitution and surgical operations were to be handled with similar sensitivity.

Hokeyboy 01-24-09 10:23 PM

Nobody in the history of movies has toppled over so horrifically as they did in the classic PUBLIC ENEMY. I love that freakin' movie...

T-800-Vince 01-26-09 09:04 PM

I'll go with Angels Wwith Dirty Faces, Public Enemy and Scarface.

davidh777 01-27-09 02:24 AM

That was an awesome thread bump

Damfino 01-27-09 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 9225384)
That was an awesome thread bump

Wow, I didn't even notice that the thread was that old. Don't know why I didn't vote back then, but I opted for Little Caesar