DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Sequel to The Thing?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/347930-sequel-thing.html)

balancer 02-18-04 09:25 AM

Sequel to The Thing??

Not sure if this has been posted yet... I'm sure most fans will be torn about this one with Carpenter's The Thing being such a classic, and how sequels tend to suck. Not to mention JC's track record over the last decade. I rarely start a thread, so hopefully this link works.

http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp...8&obj_id=40849

Geofferson 02-18-04 09:55 AM

Sweet!

I, for one, would be all for this!

BlackBeauty92 02-18-04 10:21 AM

hasn't this topic brought up long time ago (about the THING 2 i mean)?

not saying that i'm not excited with the news... it just so many rumors spreading around regarding Carpenter's next projects & so....
maybe no studio willing to back him up 100% due to his "not so good" track record lately

just my 2 cent

TopHatCat64 02-18-04 10:33 AM

Hey i'm all for it, if only because it would probably mean a re-release (ANAMORPHIC you bastards!!) for the original.

LivingINClip 02-18-04 10:52 AM

Normally, I'd be happy, but with JC's track record for the last ten years or so, I just cannot bring myself to even be remotely interested. Hell, the last movie he made that was somewhat decent was 'Village of the Damned' and it wasn't exactly great.

Shannon Nutt 02-18-04 11:00 AM

As long as Kurt Russell gets to star - I'm there. Although I'd much rather see sequel to Big Trouble in Little China.

rushmore223 02-18-04 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
As long as Kurt Russell gets to star - I'm there. Although I'd much rather see sequel to Big Trouble in Little China.
Think there gonna have to defrost him for that.

rennervision 02-18-04 01:25 PM

Unless, in the end, Russell was
Spoiler:
"the thing".
:eek:

DonnachaOne 02-18-04 01:29 PM

THINGS...?

Mr. Cricket 02-18-04 02:49 PM

I'm all for it if it is indeed a sequel. Meaning, I'd rather not see a miss-mash reworking ala Escape From L.A.. And as much as I love Kurt Russell, I don't really see him being a part of a "good" sequel. I thought the game did a marvelous job of furthering the story, and think that it would be the best way to go with the sequel. I'm not saying a cameo (going by the spoiler above) wouldn't be appreciated, but as far as him being the main character again, I think it would be wrong. There is a ton of potential in there. Here's hoping we see something worthy of old school Carpenter.

DarthVong 02-18-04 02:52 PM

I'll go on record now saying if this happens, Carpenter will blow it.

Shannon Nutt 02-18-04 03:07 PM

Any guess on what it will be called?

"This, That, & The Other Thing"

"That Thing You Do"

"Do The Right Thing"

"The Sweetest Thing"

"One True Thing"

"The Sure Thing"

"Love is a Many Splendored Thing"

"Thirteen Conversations About One Thing"

"Ain't Nothing But The Real Thing (Baby)"

or my personal favorite,
"The Next Best Thing"

necros 02-18-04 03:21 PM

I think it's a good idea, but last I heard Carpenter wanted to remake it, not do a sequel. I'd rather see a sequel I think but I worry about it cuz the last few carpenter movies I've seen just plain sucked (well they seemed more like good concepts poorly executed).

devilshalo 02-18-04 03:33 PM

Thang - The Thing meets Friday starring Ice Cube and Chris Tucker
Thong - The Thing meets Sisqo.

:p

jaeufraser 02-18-04 03:48 PM

Originally posted by necros
I think it's a good idea, but last I heard Carpenter wanted to remake it, not do a sequel. I'd rather see a sequel I think but I worry about it cuz the last few carpenter movies I've seen just plain sucked (well they seemed more like good concepts poorly executed).
Remake it? The Thing? But...it's a remake to begin with!

No no, this movie is a horror classic. IMO JC's best work. It came from a time when JC was on top of his game. No offense to JC now, but he's fallen big time and I'd rather not see him try...as his films seem like cheap B movies now, not the atmospheric and wonderfully great films he used to be able to make.

Live and let die...there's no need for another Thing.

Supermallet 02-18-04 05:26 PM

The Thing?

http://www.shrublands.com/fluxion/images/bio_ben.gif

marty888 02-18-04 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Any guess on what it will be called?

<b>"Things Ain't What They Used To Be"</b>

Numanoid 02-18-04 10:38 PM

The working title is "What do you call this Thing?"

Mountain Biker 02-18-04 10:59 PM

The Return of the Thing

Rammsteinfan 02-18-04 11:45 PM

The Thing = Best horror / sci fi movie ever

Trigger 02-19-04 03:01 AM

This is cool news I think. I'd go see a sequel to the Thing. I don't think he'd screw it up either - I think he'd make a kick ass movie. I'm sure he's had ideas buzzing in his head since he made the first one and I'm sue he got more ideas from the video game (which I liked). Even another remake would be cool.

Alvis 02-19-04 07:05 AM

Who Goes There? should be the title.

balancer 02-19-04 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Alvis

:thumbsup:

Jason Bovberg 02-19-04 03:07 PM

Or just "And Another Thing."

movielib 02-19-04 03:53 PM

Originally posted by Alvis
Kind of awkward though, isn't it, to name the sequel after the original novella when the original Carpenter movie (which was based on the novella) wasn't?

Maybe they can do some revisionary naming like with Raiders of the Lost Ark:

First movie: Who Goes There: The Thing

Second movie: Who Goes There 2: The Return of the Thing