Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tarantino president

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tarantino president

Old 02-17-04, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarantino president

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3495171.stm

Organisers of the Cannes Film Festival have played down suggestions that Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill Vol 2 will open the festival on 12 May.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, speculation increased after Tarantino was named president of the Cannes jury.

But with the film due out in the UK and the US on 16 April and Italy on 23 April, a Cannes opening now seems to be unlikely.

Tarantino has called his appointment to the Cannes jury "a magnificent honour".

The director said it was the crowning achievement of a lifetime spent in cinematic obsession.

The nine-member jury of French and international film-makers, actors, writers and directors who will join Tarantino in his new role have yet to be announced.

Cult figure

It is 12 years since Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs appeared at Cannes in an Out of Competition slot and 10 years after his later film Pulp Fiction won the festival's top prize, the Palme d'Or.

The film-maker succeeds last year's jury president, Patrice Chereau, who directed Hanif Kureshi's Intimacy in 2001.

Tarantino fans are eagerly awaiting the release of Kill Bill Vol. 2, the second part of his martial arts epic.

He is known as an avid film expert who draws on many obscure movie references for his own work, including French new-wave director Jean-Luc Godard to B-grade horror films.

He also has a knack of resurrecting the careers of film stars whose careers have dried up, including John Travolta in Pulp Fiction and David Carradine in Kill Bill.

Kill Bill Vol 1 was nominated for five Bafta awards this year, including Uma Thurman for best actress, but it failed to win any prizes.
Old 02-17-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

First stop Cannes, next stop the White House. I'd vote for him.
Old 02-17-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what sort of precidents have been set at Cannes, but wouldn't it seem to be a conflict of interest, having a member of the jury being the director of a film in the festival?
Old 02-17-04, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I don't know what sort of precidents have been set at Cannes, but wouldn't it seem to be a conflict of interest, having a member of the jury being the director of a film in the festival?
Well wouldn't his film just be shown there, but not be in competition? Normally the opening film is just that, and isn't usually a film in competition (I think that's true).
Old 02-18-04, 09:42 PM

For reference:

Yr President Palme d'Or
2003 Patrice CHEREAU Elephant
2002 David LYNCH Pianist, The
2001 Liv ULLMANN Son's Room, The (Stanza del figlio, La)
2000 Luc BESSON Dancer in the Dark
1999 David CRONENBERG Rosetta
1998 Martin SCORSESE Mia aioniotita kai mia mera
1997 Isabelle ADJANI Ta'm e guilass - Unagi
1996 Francis COPPOLA Secrets & Lies
1995 Jeanne MOREAU Underground
1994 Clint EASTWOOD Pulp Fiction
1993 Louis MALLE Piano, The - Farewell My Concubine