Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hal Hartley

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hal Hartley

Came across this director while browsing. Never heard of him before but the synopses of his movies look very cool. Any fans out there? Which of his movies would be best for me to start with?
Old 02-16-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I've only seen three of Hartley's films, but I'd recommend Henry Fool, easily my favorite of the bunch. I was fairly indifferent towards The Unbelievable Truth, although it left me with the impression that I'd really enjoy it with a second viewing, a feeling I don't recall getting from a movie before or since. I was bored stiff by Simple Men.
Old 02-16-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hal Hartley is great. I will go against what the above poster said. The film that turned me onto him was The Unbelievable Truth, so I say start with that one. Although Henry Fool is also a good choice.

The one I say not to start with is Book of Life, not that it isn't good (it is great) but I could see it being a turn off for you first Hartley film.
Old 02-16-04, 11:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

It begins and ends with TRUST.
Old 02-17-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd recommend Henry Fool as a starter, it's probably his most user friendly introduction. If you don't like that, you probably won't like the other stuff. But Trust is not a bad starter film either. The only one I'd recommend to avoid at all costs is No Such Thing. Decidely unHartleyesque, and not a strong film overall. Let it be the last one you see, if at all.
Old 02-17-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
I'd recommend Henry Fool as a starter, it's probably his most user friendly introduction. If you don't like that, you probably won't like the other stuff. But Trust is not a bad starter film either. The only one I'd recommend to avoid at all costs is No Such Thing. Decidely unHartleyesque, and not a strong film overall. Let it be the last one you see, if at all.

HF is one of my all-time faves, and I'm not too much of a fan of his others.
Old 02-17-04, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by scott shelton
It begins and ends with TRUST.
Word.
Old 02-17-04, 08:56 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I've seen several of his movies. Amateur and Trust are two of my fave's.
Old 02-18-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking about getting No Such Thing as a starter due to Sarah Polley, but no-one seems to think it's anything special, so I'll have to go for one of the other ones. Also thought about Simple Men, but it seems to be a film that divides the audience. Didn't like the look of the trailer for The Unbelievable Truth to be honest, looked like it may be a bit dated?

Think I may go for Henry Fool ....

Trust isn't available on DVD yet is it?
Old 12-31-19, 11:04 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Hal Hartley

BUMPING this ancient thread.

In case anyone is interested... Hartley is running a Kickstarter for a new film. It ends in 4 days.

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260302407/where-to-land/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260302407/where-to-land/widget/card.html?v=2" width="220" height="420" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Joseph Fulton, a well-regarded fifty-eight year-old director of romantic comedies, wants to become assistant groundskeeper at a local cemetery. He wants to work outdoors and be close to nature. Meanwhile, he thinks it’s important to have his last will and testament drawn up. But his highly dramatic actress girlfriend thinks he must be dying and that he is just too brave to tell anyone. The rumor spreads and soon everyone he knows—and some he doesn’t—are crowded in to his small apartment to say their last farewells.

During my Kickstarter campaign for the Henry Fool Trilogy in 2017 I suggested I would also include in that boxed-set edition a documentary film reflecting on my life and career. This was to be called, Where To Land.

But I could not do it. I am not a gifted documentary filmmaker and I'm not crazy about writing my autobiography either.

However, I am not bad at making up stories! So I started making up a story about a guy, kind of like me, and what he thinks about. Specifically—what he thinks he should do with the rest of his life.

I'm sixty-years-old now and have been making films professionally for thirty of those years. I do sometimes wonder if I want to continue—even though I know it’s the only thing I can do halfway well. But might there not be other ways of engaging with the world and continuing to learn—even new ways of supporting myself? The unbelievable truth of it all is: one keeps changing. I'm asking myself the same questions I asked at twenty: What do I want to be? How do I want to achieve that? When—if ever—will I know I've arrived? Where will I land?

As I thought about these things, the story became a series of portraits of the different people our hero, Joseph Fulton, knows and loves: his girlfriend, Muriel, who is a famous television actress eager for some deeper artistic commitment; his friend Eric who is an aging rocker concerned with putting his daughter through graduate school; his college age niece, Veronica; his ex-wife, Clara, who is still his best friend; his lawyer, Laura; his 100-year-old friend, the philosopher, Elizabeth; and others…

I think it’s the best thing I’ve written.