DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   50 First Dates: a pleasant surprise (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/347190-50-first-dates-pleasant-surprise.html)

Dr. DVD 02-14-04 07:51 AM

50 First Dates: a pleasant surprise

Okay, being bored out of my mind last night I went and did something I do not normally do, watch an Adam Sandler movie on its opening night.
While a lot of his films are amusing, some kind be downright annoying (see Waterboy). IMO, the best one he made was Punch Drunk Love, followed by The Wedding Singer. Upon reflection I think the main reason I liked wedding singer was because of the 80s nostaliga factor, with the chemistry between Drew Barrymore and Sandler being somewhat interesting.
While this movie begins like it will be yet another journey into foul humor and innuendo gags, it eventually finds its footing and comes across as more of a a traditional romantic comedy than one would think possible in a Sandler flick. Sandler and Barrymore prove that they do have good onscreen chemistry and it is this factor that actually gives the movie a bit more heart than one would expect.
Granted, it has its shortcomings, namely a large misuse of Sean Astin, but then again I could see the appeal of having Mikey be the brother of Gertie. ;) But it is overall enjoyable and quite cute. A solid B or *** out of ****.

Jackskeleton 02-14-04 02:47 PM

The ending left me a little torn.

Spoiler:
Sure, they are happy together, but the whole wake up every morning and finding our your life is not what you knew it seems like it wouldn't get any easier. I think I would have bought a sort of ending where she finally gets some memory back and I dunno. seemed like a tossed out ending for the sake of having on

I enjoyed the rest of it for the most part. As for Astin, he was pretty funny and I'm not sure how else they would have used him.

matome 02-14-04 03:26 PM

I was surprised with this as well. The first 15 minutes or so had me really worried since it was just BAD (and I usually like most of Sandler's stuff - but can we put a moratorium on puking on people scenes?), but once Drew got into the picture it actually turned out to be fairly sweet and pretty sad in some parts.

3.5 out 5

Trigger 02-14-04 04:40 PM

I liked it and it didn't surprise me at all.

Dr. DVD 02-14-04 05:06 PM

In terms of the ending

Spoiler:
I somewhat agree. Normally I would have shunned an ending where everything magically works out, but it's an Adam Sandler flick and such acts are forgiveable by those rules. I think it was to give some viewers like myself an ending that is more believable.

Trigger 02-14-04 05:17 PM

ending:
Spoiler:
I kinda thought the ending was just fine... she has brain damage, so the idea of her magically getting her memory back doesn't really work - however, I think she was able to retain some stuff. As she said, he was in her dreams every night (although I don't know how she would know that). And also - part of the charm here was the romance aspect of the idea of her falling in love for the first time every day - Adam didn't seem to mind. Also - the tape she got at the end was different - more of a condensed version, so maybe it was just to remind her in case she woke up a little confused rather than in complete shock. She seemed to get over it really quickly at least. In any case, I liked it this way and didn't want for a different outcome.

Patman 02-14-04 05:45 PM

Sandler and Barrymore's onscreen chemistry shine through in this sweet romantic comedy. They play Henry and Lucy in a somewhat unconventional love story. I can't recall when Barrymore has been more appealing in a film in recent memory, and Sandler is honestly earnest in his attraction to Lucy, and his love for her drives the film to its conclusion.

Rob Schneider is hilarious, and pretty much gets a laugh when he's on-screen. Sean Astin is also amusing as Lucy's brother.

I give it 3 stars of a grade of B.

mdc3000 02-14-04 05:46 PM

I thought the movie was mediocre at best. I am a HUGE Sandler fan, but this just left more to be desired...and not because of the cast. I thought all did a pretty great job, but the script was a bit scatter shot. The cast made the best of it, and even then, only about 50% of the jokes really hit the mark...

My main beef lies in the uninsipired direction. Peter Segal has done nothing but disappoint me with almost all of his films. I think the guy just doesn't have a great eye for comedy. The "timing" in the films feels off. I really hope Sandler doesn't team up with him again, because both this film and Anger Management could have been real comedy classics if put in the hands of another director. Usually I don't have much beef with comedies that disappoint, but here I think Segal the hack for fire has really struck again.

MATT

(for those who don't know, Segal bought us Anger Management, The Klumps, My Fellow Americans, Naked Gun 33 1/3.... the only saving grace on his filmography is Tommy Boy.... )

Patman 02-14-04 06:11 PM

Anyone else catch the Tommy Boy shoutout by naming the benefactor of the brain clinich "T.B. Callahan"?

Dr. DVD 02-14-04 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Sandler and Barrymore's onscreen chemistry shine through in this sweet romantic comedy. They play Henry and Lucy in a somewhat unconventional love story. I can't recall when Barrymore has been more appealing in a film in recent memory, and Sandler is honestly earnest in his attraction to Lucy, and his love for her drives the film to its conclusion.

Rob Schneider is hilarious, and pretty much gets a laugh when he's on-screen. Sean Astin is also amusing as Lucy's brother.

I give it 3 stars of a grade of B.

I agree with the statement about Drew, she really came across as not only physically desirable, but just a great person as well. I honestly felt sorry for her character :(, which is a great accomplishment for a Sandler movie.

QuiGonJosh 02-14-04 08:51 PM

I doubt I'll see a funnier movie all this year...this movie just had my in stitches...I loved it...very funny and sweet and loved the ending!

Patman 02-14-04 09:47 PM

Oh, I'm grateful for the "Drew in the rain" scene. :D

Dr. DVD 02-14-04 09:49 PM

Oh, I'm grateful for the "Drew in the rain" scene. :D
Yers, interesting that it is another release from Sony pictures, who also did the "Kirsten Dunst in the rain" scene in Spider-Man. ;)

Giantrobo 02-14-04 10:13 PM

They had me at the Trailer ;)

I'll be seeing this movie :up:

Dr. DVD 02-14-04 11:45 PM

All of the major showings in prime time last night were sold out, including mine I'm pretty sure. Hope it does well.

SirPablo 02-15-04 09:06 AM

Anyone else catch the Tommy Boy shoutout by naming the benefactor of the brain clinich "T.B. Callahan"?
I caught that and so did my fiance.

I think one of the funniest things was the love of Spam on the island...the scene at the restaurant of the Spam pick-up pulling up with a huge load of Spam in the back...I was laughing for a while.

Giantrobo 02-15-04 09:10 AM

Originally posted by SirPablo

I think one of the funniest things was the love of Spam on the island...the scene at the restaurant of the Spam pick-up pulling up with a huge load of Spam in the back...I was laughing for a while.

Funny but true.

Spam Musubi :drool:

RichC2 02-15-04 10:32 AM

Still gotta see this.

Deftones 02-15-04 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
All of the major showings in prime time last night were sold out, including mine I'm pretty sure. Hope it does well.
It made $41 million this opening weekend. That's a hell of an opening for a comedy this time of year.

Patman 02-15-04 05:04 PM

It was very savvy to open this unconventional romantic comedy on Valentine's weekend.

SirPablo 02-15-04 06:31 PM

It was very savvy to open this unconventional romantic comedy on Valentine's weekend.
You think?

Tommy_Harn 02-15-04 07:44 PM

I actually liked the story that went along with this one. So, I found it fairly entertaining.

On the otherhand, I didn't laugh more than two or three times throughout the entire movie. Every 10 seconds, they tried to cram a humorous Sea animal action or cheesy Rob Schneider joke down my throat.

SPiRAL 02-15-04 11:25 PM

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
I actually liked the story that went along with this one. So, I found it fairly entertaining.

On the otherhand, I didn't laugh more than two or three times throughout the entire movie. Every 10 seconds, they tried to cram a humorous Sea animal action or cheesy Rob Schneider joke down my throat.

I agree, but I also found it sort-of touching.

Daytripper 02-16-04 12:58 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The ending left me a little torn.

Spoiler:
Sure, they are happy together, but the whole wake up every morning and finding our your life is not what you knew it seems like it wouldn't get any easier. I think I would have bought a sort of ending where she finally gets some memory back and I dunno. seemed like a tossed out ending for the sake of having on

I enjoyed the rest of it for the most part. As for Astin, he was pretty funny and I'm not sure how else they would have used him.

Jack, I thought you hated Adam Sandler? Actually, I think the word you used was "loath" ;) Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. If it was you......free tickets?

jaeufraser 02-16-04 01:01 AM

Ha, it was more than that. They said Callahan from Sandusky Ohio, home of our favorite tommy boy. I was amused nonetheless.

I thought the movie was very sweet though...less stupid funny then expected and actually had some heart that I bought into. Nothing remarkable, but good entertainment.