Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you plan to see "Passion of Chirst'?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you plan to see "Passion of Christ"?
Yes, in the theater
63.18%
No
16.97%
I'll wait for DVD
13.36%
Not sure yet
6.50%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Do you plan to see "Passion of Chirst'?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, movie comes out tomorrow and this just happened, coincidence? I think not!

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/287...002242004&ts=H

Carl Anderson, Judas In 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Dies
Actor Originated Film, Stage Roles Of Judas

POSTED: 12:24 p.m. EST February 24, 2004

The actor-singer who played Judas in the film and stage versions of "Jesus Christ: Superstar" has died.

According to the Virginia paper Lynchburg News & Advance, Carl Anderson died in Los Angeles Monday after a battle with leukemia. He was 58.

Anderson was a Lynchburg native. According to the paper, he regularly returned to his hometown to perform and conduct workshops.

According to Broadway.com, Anderson made his Broadway debut as Judas in "Jesus Christ Superstar" -- written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice -- in 1971. He landed the film role of Judas for the film version, opposite Ted Neely as Jesus, six months later.

The film role earned Anderson Golden Globe nominations for Best Motion Picture Actor in a Musical or Comedy and Most Promising Newcomer -- Male in 1974. The stage role a earned Anderson a NAACP Award for Theater, reported the Lynchburg News & Advance.

Anderson reprised his role as Judas for the 20th anniversary tour of the stage version of "Jesus Christ Superstar" in 1992, and he embarked on another tour of the musical with Sebastian Bach in the role of Jesus (pictured with Anderson, above) just before being diagnosed with leukemia.

Anderson's other Broadway roles included "Play On!" and he can be heard on the concept recording of Frank Wildhorn's "The Civil War."

On film, Anderson also appeared in "The Color Purple," and he guest starred on several television shows including "The Rockford Files," "Magnum, "P.I.," "Starsky & Hutch" and "The Incredible Hulk."

Anderson is survived by his mother, wife, son, two stepdaughters, six sisters and three brothers. A memorial fund has been set up in Anderson's name at the Lynchburg Academy of Fine Arts, at 600 Main St., Lynchburg, VA 24504.

Chris
Old 02-24-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
The implications of this is that atheists exist because they haven't had adequate exposure to Christ. This statement is puzzling to me. There are religious people who don't consider Jesus (any non-Christians), and there are atheists who HAVE considered Jesus and still reject him. I, for one, when I denounced the Jewish faith under which I was raised, I began a comparative religion study, to see if any of them evoked anything in me other than intellectual interest. That included a thorough study of Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, etc. None of them did anything for me.
I'm not sure if this is what MISS PEACH was intending, but there are some who believe that if you have truely felt God's presence/touch, then there is no way that you would not choose to follow Him. As such, the thought would be that, if you are not a Christian, it is because you have not truely encountered Christ.

Personally, I think that discounts the idea of free will a tad too much, but, nonetheless, it is not all that uncommon of a belief among some Christians.
Originally posted by mrpayroll
Whew! With an average cost of $8.00 per DVD which includes tax & shipping for my over 400 DVDz, there is no way I'm paying that much for ANY movie!

Chris
It's only that high because it's a Criterion release . . . you know how "they" are. Honestly. though, that price is the cheapest that I've seen it new. You might have some luck with a used copy if you interested, though (that is, if you can find one ).
Originally posted by Trigger
perhaps if you replace "program" or "brainwash" for "exposure", it'll become more clear.

I did the same thing as a youth and young adult - study all sorts of different religions - and all it made me realize was that they were all just a method of keeping the peace outside of whatever governments abilities. Kinda like a government supplement program. I mean - they're all little more than basic guides to how to be a decent person even when things are grim - there's hope, etc. I have a longer, more wordy explaination of what I think that probably makes more sense, but I'm sure nobody cares. Anyway - I'm just saying this is the conclusion I came to, I'm not saying it's the right answer, it's just my answer. Joking aside, I respect everyone's right to believe whatever they want... As for this movie, I'll probably pass just cuz bible stories put me to sleep. Out of all the religions I looked into, christianity was the dullest. (no offense).
I realize that you are only joking, but some of those "jokes" were a tad harsh. For someone who claims to "respect everyone's right to believe whatever they want", the words certainly didn't sound it. Not mad, just wanted to mention it.
Old 02-24-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definite yes.
Old 02-24-04, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I decided, after reading many reviews, and reading the discussions, etc., that I'm prejudging this movie because of content and that's not fair. So, I will see the movie to judge it on its artistic merits (I did like Last Temptation, so it's possible for me to like a Jesus story), and just know that the messages of "He really IS the messiah" won't apply to me.

However, I will wait until the crowds die down.
Old 02-24-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
However, I will wait until the crowds die down.
I am, too. I don't even want to deal w/ large church groups - that would annoy the shit out of me.
Old 02-24-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I went with my church the other night and it was awesome. Everyone was glued to the screen, no talking, no people munching on popcorn and candy (except me, but quietly). No kids kicking my seat. It was great! A well-behaved audience.

Sure it was packed, but I got there early just as I would any new release.
Old 04-10-20, 09:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Do you plan to see "Passion of Chirst'?

Thread Resurrection - so to speak. So for the few Christians and/or Catholics... Anyone see this around this time of year? I grew up watching The Ten Commandments on the yearly ABC broadcast. A few years ago I started watching this on Good Friday, or around there. I personally thinks it still holds up very well, at least in the sense of a straight up story. I kind of hope this gets remastered in 4K sometime. Maybe when the sequel Resurrection presumably hits theaters next year around this time.
Old 04-10-20, 09:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I tend to watch it most years on this day. Not a perfect film, but a very good one, and a humbling reminder of what He went thru.
Old 04-11-20, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

What ever happened to RyoHazuki?
Old 04-11-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,464 Likes on 931 Posts

I've never seen it. I saw that it's free on Roku, but I'm not interested.