DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   And now.. Movieoke! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/346918-now-movieoke.html)

Krug 02-12-04 04:38 PM

And now.. Movieoke!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...fe_movieoke_dc

Guests select a specific scene from a movie that is then projected onto a big screen, while a monitor in front of them shows the scene along with subtitled dialogue.

The result is either a skillful rendering of the original lines or, more often than not, some sort of goof up that draws laughter from the audience.

So far, the Movieoke night has mostly drawn mid-20s movie buffs eager to relive scenes from their childhood favorites such as '80s classics "Breakfast Club" and "Heathers."
So which scene would you choose to 'movie-oke' to?

Charlie Goose 02-12-04 05:32 PM

So far, the Movieoke night has mostly drawn mid-20s movie buffs eager to relive scenes from their childhood favorites such as '80s classics "Breakfast Club" and "Heathers."
Mid-20s? I would think those in their mid-30s would consider Breakfast Club a childhood favorite.

I can think of dozens of movies that I would like to recreate in a situation like that. Sounds cool, although I despise phony words like "movieoke".

Groucho 02-12-04 05:36 PM

I'd try to Movieoke Deep Throat with a waitress.

Trigger 02-12-04 05:59 PM

such lofty aspirations

devilshalo 02-12-04 06:56 PM

Sadly, I can do all the lines of dialog for Karate Kid 2 by myself. :(

johnglass 02-12-04 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Mid-20s? I would think those in their mid-30s would consider Breakfast Club a childhood favorite.
No kidding. 20 yr olds were only one when Breakfast Club was released in '85, 25 yr olds were 6.

talemyn 02-12-04 09:44 PM

No contest . . . Monty Python And The Holy Grail . . .

It'd be ho-kicking . . . :up:

Squidhead 02-12-04 10:47 PM

I've thought about attending this but more than likely it'll be a huge yuppie crowd. No thanks.

Krug 02-12-04 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Squidhead
I've thought about attending this but more than likely it'll be a huge yuppie crowd. No thanks.
Who'd eagerly be doing Wall Street's Greed is Good speech...

Pants 02-13-04 11:28 AM

Originally posted by johnglass
No kidding. 20 yr olds were only one when Breakfast Club was released in '85, 25 yr olds were 6.
I'm 25 and I hold the Breakfast Club close to my heart. These films lived on on VHS for many years.

I would definately movieoke Fletch.

Charlie Goose 02-13-04 03:53 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Sadly, I can do all the lines of dialog for Karate Kid 2 by myself. :(
"Daniel-san! This not tournament. This for real!"

cultshock 02-13-04 08:47 PM

although I despise phony words like "movieoke".

Ok, "karaoke" is Japanese short form for "empty orchestra" so how about, hmmm, "karaeiga"? Nah, that term wouldn't really catch on. :D

I'd give it a try, but I'd probably be tempted to give it the MST3K treatment.

ToddSm66 02-14-04 01:57 PM

It would probably be more fun if you picked a scene where you can try to impersonate a voice...like any Marlon Brando scene from The Godfather...

I'd probably pick the Dennis Hooper scene from Apocalypse Now:

"Hey, man, you don't talk to the Colonel. You listen to him. The man's enlarged my mind. He's a poet-warrior in the classic sense. I mean sometimes he'll, uh, well, you'll say hello to him, right? And he'll just walk right by you, and he won't even notice you. And suddenly he'll grab you, and he'll throw you in a corner, and he'll say do you know that if is the middle word in life? If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you, if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you - I mean I'm no, I can't - I'm a little man, I'm a little man, he's, he's a great man. I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across floors of silent seas... "

...or any Walter Sobchak scene from The Big Lebowski :D

mikewendt 02-14-04 03:29 PM

I would definatly do stuff from...
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Adv. of Ford Fairlane
Cannonball Run
Big Lebowski
Reservoir Dogs

oh yeah and Kazaam!

DonnachaOne 02-14-04 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Not really. Most fans of the film are people who grew up with it on TV reruns and video.