DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Match 3: Die Hard or Lethal Weapon? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/346825-match-3-die-hard-lethal-weapon.html)

Nick Danger 02-12-04 08:43 AM

Match 3: Die Hard or Lethal Weapon?

Die Hard pulls past The Killer in a squeaker. I only meant to let it run for a couple of days, but the voting was close enough that I waited until it ran off the first page.

So which is the better thriller: Die Hard I or Lethal Weapon I?

Giles 02-12-04 08:54 AM

Die Hard, Alan Rickman is great and the films violence is more jarring and exciting.

PalmerJoss 02-12-04 08:59 AM

They are almost equal to me. I love the character of John McLaine, but I think I love Martin Riggs more. Both movies have great action sequences, some great characters, and some awesome villians. I loved Gary Busey's Mr. Joshua probably as much as I love Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber.

Andalusia 02-12-04 11:14 AM

Die Hard, though it was a tough call.

sataniko 02-12-04 11:20 AM

Lethal Weapon.

BlackBeauty92 02-12-04 11:22 AM

tough call...

i dunno what to decide...

:D

D-Ball 02-12-04 11:35 AM

Die Hard

Rainman15 02-12-04 11:46 AM

Die Hard

Pants 02-12-04 11:55 AM

Die Hard

Give me a break there's no contest

QuiGonJosh 02-12-04 12:01 PM

Lethal Weapon

I honestly dont get whats so great about Die Hard...I like it and all...but it aint the end all be all of action pictures...its not original...they werent the first...theres far better action pictures...Lethal Weapon being one thats far better...hell LW2 is better than all 3 Die Hard's too...I just dont get what makes them so special...

davidlynchfan 02-12-04 12:06 PM

Die Hard,
Yep,Not much contest here as well.

Die hard vs. Robocop,now that would be a contest.

Gyno Rhino 02-12-04 12:35 PM

No contest whatsoever.

Die Hard is 40x better.

Pants 02-12-04 12:41 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
it aint the end all be all of action pictures
No it's not...but it's miles away better than Lethal Weapon

QuiGonJosh 02-12-04 01:12 PM

Pssshhh...yeah right! Lethal Weapon wasnt a generic action picture like Die Hard...

Sessa17 02-12-04 01:36 PM

Another tough call, this challenge has the leads much more equal, Riggs & McClaine are very similar characters. I have to give the nod again to Die Hard as the better movie (although everone here seems to be voting for their favorite rather than better), simply b/c of the brilliant & all-time classic villain performance by Rickman.

I think it is absolutely INSANE to say Die Hard is a "generic action picture", that is just idiotic. Die Hard set a new standard & for years & years pretty much EVERY single action picture was compared to Die Hard. Every actual generic action picture would have a quote on it like Speed did, something like "Die Hard on wheels" or "tHe best action movie since Die Hard".

Pants 02-12-04 01:47 PM

The only action film to predate Die Hard in the "One man against a small army in a confined space" genre that I've ever seen or heard of is Frankenheimer's The Train starring Burt Lancaster. By combining that with the "disaster film" genre, Die Hard sort of gave birth to a new sub-genre of action-adventure.

LW on the other hand is just another budy cop movie.

Chew 02-12-04 02:00 PM

Die Hard

shizawn 02-12-04 02:00 PM

Die Hard, easy.

Troy Stiffler 02-12-04 04:16 PM

Twikoff. I refuse to participate in a poll that is so hard to decide on.

RyoHazuki 02-12-04 04:38 PM

Die Hard. Not even close. What is with all the Die Hard vs. _____ threads?

purplechoe 02-12-04 04:49 PM

Die Hard is THE best action movie ever, Lethal Weapon doesn't even come close, IMO of course. :)

PS. Also, In my opinion part 2 of LW was better than part 1.

wmansir 02-12-04 04:51 PM

Die Hard

I actually like Riggs as a character better than McClane. The interaction between Riggs and Murtaugh was more entertaining than the loner McClane and his occasional heart-to-heart with that guy from Family Matters.

However, in every other aspect Die Hard wins. Better story (I can barely recall the plot to LW). Far better supporting cast. Better direction. Better score. Better action pieces.

Pants 02-12-04 05:02 PM

wmansir is so right :up:

I've seen LW 30 times, and I couldn't tell you what it's about. It's plot is stupid/non-existant. The only reason it's loved is because of the back and forth of its two leads.

I also agree that, while maybe not better, LW2 is the more memorable film

B.A. 02-12-04 05:03 PM

It's practically a toss-up for me between the two.

TCG 02-12-04 05:26 PM

all the LWs are overrated, imo. I voted for the action classic, DIE HARD!