Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn Of The Dead: My take

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dawn Of The Dead: My take

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if it's unrated or not (but considering EUROTRIP is getting one, expect everything to) but the directors already stated that there will be plenty of footage added to make an extended cut of it. so deleted scenes are there to add.
Old 04-20-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Not sure if it's unrated or not (but considering EUROTRIP is getting one, expect everything to) but the directors already stated that there will be plenty of footage added to make an extended cut of it. so deleted scenes are there to add.
Can't wait for that DVD
Old 04-20-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Old 04-24-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know where i can get a full size version of this picture?

Old 04-24-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by RoQuEr
anyone know where i can get a full size version of this picture?

Old 04-25-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Glad to see a ton of positive feeback on this flick.

I myself bitched about remakes (I blieve that thread is still on the first page) and was right about the TCM remake (what a damn shame) but I was dead wrong on the new DOD (I'm still waiting on a bashing from Caiman if he remembers replying in my thread).

The new DOD was excellent - amazingly, it actually freaked me out in a few parts (something the original failed to do).

I went in thinking - no way, there is no way this movie can be better than the original, how are they going to capture all the elements the original made great without copying them..........well my friends they did and they did an amazing job.

As far as what people say about "you should not compare the reamke to the original, it's more of a stand alone flick" no way - this was only made because of the original and it's a much better movie.

Old 10-29-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by thegame370
Did anyone else think CJ starting kicking some major ass towards the end of the movie and made you root for him, what a badass
I saw it for the first time last night since it's theatrical release and I'm still a little confused on how/why his character changes like this.
Upon first viewing, (Since Romero's trilogy was in mind) I assumed that CJ was going to be the "Harry Cooper" or the "Rhodes" character for this remake. The formula usually says that a certain event must occur for an unlikable character to become one that you could cheer for. But all CJ does is go down into the parking lot with the other guys and fights a few zombies off. And after that, he's normal and trustworthy!?!
I still find it hard to believe that everyone accepts him so easily after he had gotten used to sticking his gun at everyone's face and cussing them out.

Anyways...Oh, check out the scene where they're on the roof when Nicole drives to Andy's. Terry dashes to the edge of the building holding onto something in his back pocket. What is that? It looks too lightweight to be a gun. Whatever it is, I'm surprised Zack Snyder didn't tell him to put that thing in his side-pocket because he looks like a dope holding onto his butt while running.
Old 10-29-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think it was because he had a group of himself and that other dude that got killed in the parking structure that made up the loose canons. Once he lost his only support he had to choose to go with the masses or die down there. Especially after they bond with that gas attack, seems like a good enough reason considering he had a shotgun for the fight.
Old 10-29-04, 08:11 PM
Banned

My Take

Enjoyable. Decent acting. Good physical effects, makeup. Absolutely nothing to write home about. Still a full three notches below the Romero version.

NEXT!
Old 10-30-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Still a full three notches below the Romero version.

Old 10-30-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Robo, were you expecting anything less from Mr Star Wars Flame War himself?

I mean you'd think after MANY positive reviews of Dawn '04 and now its release on DVD people would stop comparing it to the older film, hell they arent even the same movie did no one bother to watch the making of feature?
Old 10-30-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by SunMonkey
Spoiler:
When the gang is in Andy's, and they dispose of the owner and save the girl, all of a sudden they are in a gun battle on the street, with the members who stayed in the sewer blasting away on the street. Did I miss something?
Anyone answer this yet?

We stay with the badass security-guy. He went up to the roof to make the gas-tank distraction. He blows the tank, and everyone runs out really quick. It just takes a good twenty seconds for the security guy to get back downstairs.

Johny Cash? Zombies? The "Getting Down with The Sickness" sequence? This was the most fun I had with a movie all year.
Old 11-01-04, 10:45 AM
Suspended

So is there a list somewhere of what was added to the unrated DVD? I checked IMDB, but they dont have anything listed.
Old 11-01-04, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not really a big fan of horror flicks, but will rent a couple a year for fun. Enjoyed "Blair Witch" and "28 Days Later". Did not really care that much for Dawn of the Dead (remake, never saw the original). There were definitely some cool scenes, but also some that stopped the movie dead in it's tracks for over-the-top cheese... like the baby. Urgh. Sent my mind back to when I was a teenager seeing "The Prophecy" in the theater. That's not a positive statement.

I can see why people would have fun with this movie, but it really didn't rise much above an average horror flick to me.
Old 11-01-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Picked this up on DVD and watched it Halloween. Action-packed fun, I suppose, but nothing that made any kind of lasting impact. No chills, no thrills, no real emotion from myself or the wife.

Did like seeing Jake from "The Mind of The Married Man" (the Best Buy guy), and the cameos of the original gang. And the pre-credit sequence was terrific.

And did anyone NOT immediately know that as soon as the pregnant chick showed up that we were destined for a zombie baby?
Old 11-01-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
So is there a list somewhere of what was added to the unrated DVD? I checked IMDB, but they dont have anything listed.
I think there just a LOT more headshots. And I THINK there was an added scene before they all went to bed in the home store.
Old 11-02-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by troystiffler
I think there just a LOT more headshots.
I thought the same thing. But I hardly ever notice changes unless they are major.
Old 11-02-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
The commentary usually says which scenes didn't appear in the theatrical cut.