Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Machinist (Christian Bale) trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the buzz from Sundance wasn't overly great for this, I'm very excited about it nonetheless. Bale rarely disappoints, and after Session 9, I'll unquestionably see anything Brad Anderson directs.

SPOILER ALERT! -- the trailer doesn't seem to be an official one, and uses short clips that do appear to give away some potentially important portions of the plot. View at your own risk.

Trailer from GeekFilez (Zip file)

Trevor Reznik, a machinist, has lost the ability to sleep. But this is no ordinary insomnia. Trevor has not slept in a year. Fatigue has led to a shocking deterioration of his physical and mental health. Suspicious of his appearance, Trevor’s co-workers first shy away from him, then turn against him after he’s involved in a shop accident that costs a man his arm. They blame Trevor for the accident. He has become a liability to himself and others, and now they want him out.

Plagued with guilt, Trevor’s shame becomes suspicion, then paranoia, when it appears his workmates are conspiring to have him fired –- or worse. First he finds cryptic notes left in his apartment. Next he’s told that a mysterious co-worker involved in the accident doesn’t exist.

Are these mysteries part of a plot to drive Trevor mad? Or is it fatigue that’s robbing him of his reason?

Determined to find an answer, Trevor investigates the strange occurrences that are turning his world into a sleepless nightmare. Yet the more he learns, the less he wants to know.
Old 02-10-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The premise sounds kind of neat.. i love Bale so i'll probably catch this at one point.
Old 02-11-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That trailer is absolutely horrid. But I have a feeling it wasn't intended for a mass audience, what with the horrible pacing and the cursing.

The movie itself, on the other hand, looks awesome. Christian Bale is really showing he has what it takes to be a great actor. Losing 65 pounds is no small task, especially for someone who was already in great shape like Bale.

Christian Bale is great, Session 9 is great, so I can't wait to see this.

Is there any word on what sort of theatrical release this is going to get? Or should we expect a straight-to-DVD release?
Old 02-11-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone else read the character's name and think Trent Reznor?
Old 02-11-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by tofu
Did anyone else read the character's name and think Trent Reznor?
Yes
Old 02-12-04, 01:47 PM

holy shit!
major props for Bale
man that's gotta take some commitment to loose that much weight
he looked like he came straight out of a concentration camp
Old 02-12-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
from theninhotline.com

Wednesday
1.21.04 The Machinist 18:57

I hadn't posted anything about this movie before, because when I read the description of it on the imdb a while back, I took it to be internet absurdist hoax humor:

THE MACHINIST is the story of TREVOR REZNIK, a lathe-operator who is dying of insomnia. In a machine shop, occupational hazards are bad enough under normal circumstances; yet for Trevor the risks are compounded by fatigue. Trevor has lost the ability to sleep. This is no ordinary insomnia...

When I saw the poster (http://images.killermovies.com/m/the...ery/poster.jpg) , it really only solidified my belief that this was a goofy joke, what, with the backwards N and such. But then today I saw a trailer for it, and it's real. An industrial worker named Trevor Reznik (who operates a lathe) goes through a personal downward spiral... yeah.
Old 02-13-04, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't like Bale or Jennifer Jason Leigh, but this movie looks awesome... can't wait to see it. Wish I could be that skinny.
Old 02-13-04, 09:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Upon first glance, I thought I read The Mechanic and was eagerly anticipating a remake of the Charles Bronson classic.
Old 08-06-04, 12:39 PM

Just bumping this up. I don't have the link but over at bloody-disgusting.com there are a couple of early reviews and it definately sounds promising.
Old 08-06-04, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Looks interesting to say the least. I dunno if I like the trailer though it just seems too long, but I'll check it out if I get the chance.