DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Barbershop 2 - quick review (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/345936-barbershop-2-quick-review.html)

jhansla 10-15-03 10:19 AM

Barbershop 2 Trailer!

I didn't care much for the first but will probably check this one out anyway. Keenan chopping some guy's hair off was funny though.
Check it out HERE

By the way is Anthony Anderson in this one?

mdc3000 10-15-03 10:46 AM

I hated the first flick and was STUNNED when it grossed so much... I don't think I'll be seeing this one... looks like more of the same, which ain't a good thing.

MATT

NitroJMS 10-15-03 11:54 AM

I know alot of people enjoyed the first one, myself included, but was anyone really clamoring for a sequel? It's not like there's much more you can do with this concept or the characters.

Pants 10-15-03 12:40 PM

The original was TERRIBLE.

I doubt a sequal will be any better

Jericho 10-15-03 07:55 PM

I know MGM is desparate for some hits...

Rogue588 10-16-03 12:29 AM

doesn't look bad to me..

and I enjoyed the first one too..

Patman 02-07-04 08:41 PM

Barbershop 2 - quick review

I think Barbershop would work better as a sitcom than a franchise of films because of the challenge a long-time barbershop faces in light of the new, more hip barbershop opening right across the street from Calvin's just doesn't really warrant the big screen treatment.

There are some funny and somewhat insightful bits during the barbershop banter between all the barbers at Calvin's, but it's just there, not many comedic sparks or fireworks in this film, and while we find out more about Eddie (Cedric the Entertainer) and how he finds his way to Calvin's and why he doesn't have to pay for his chair, I didn't think audiences were clamoring for his story.

There are other subplots, but nothing all that interesting.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.

Rypro 525 02-07-04 09:18 PM

this somehow got 4 stars in the baltimore sun (as did "miricle"

scott shelton 02-08-04 11:32 AM

I thought it was much better than the original.

Birrman54 02-08-04 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
this somehow got 4 stars in the baltimore sun (as did "miricle"
I thought I had somehow gotten the wrong paper, I couldn't remember the last time ANY film, let alone two in the same issue, had gotten 4 stars.

birrman54

Rypro 525 02-08-04 05:03 PM

well they did give 4 to seabiscuit, lotr rotk, dark blue (the kurt russel movie from early 2003), master and commander, and a few others this year.

Birrman54 02-08-04 05:36 PM

well they did give 4 to seabiscuit, lotr rotk, dark blue (the kurt russel movie from early 2003), master and commander, and a few others this year.
yea, they must be getting soft. I just didn't expect Barbershop to be the sort of movie they'd like. Do you remember what the first one got?

birrman54

isamu 02-08-04 07:09 PM

when is Ice(I hate the blue-eyed devil) Cube gonna stop selling out and make a new racist record. I'm dying over here.

Michael T Hudson 02-08-04 09:54 PM

It was becuse his Daddy built this city with bweliitts. :)

Amel 07-05-04 11:53 AM

Just watched this again on dvd. The quote on the cover says "An even richer, smarter, funnier sequel." They should've left out the funnier part. Not nearly as funny or as raw as the first. It's got jokes. Just not as many or as funny. They definitely were going for the "richer, smarter" thing with the movie. And they did succeed. But I wanted a flat-out comedy fest. At least they still had Eve :drool: