DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What music video directors deserve a DVD collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344976-what-music-video-directors-deserve-dvd-collection.html)

DonnachaOne 02-03-04 01:06 AM

What music video directors deserve a DVD collection?

After the success of the "Director's Series" DVDs, I was wanting more. The idea was created by Jonze, Gondry and Cunningham, though, so I don't know would Palm Pictures do another set for other directors.

But this is hypothetical, of course. What music video directors deserve a DVD collection?

My choices...

Jonathan Glazer

He's done great videos. For example:

Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
Massive Attack KarmaComa
Blur The Universal
Radiohead Karma Police, Street Spirit
U.N.K.L.E. Rabbit In Your Headlights

A couple of those are on DVD already on band compilations. He's also done some really artistic ads, for Guinness and Stella Artois. It'd be great to see a comprehensive release of his work.

David Fincher

Sure, he was much more pop music-oriented, but he made some GREAT videos - when he still made them. Some I like are:

The Rolling Stones Love Is Strong
Madonna Vogue
Aerosmith Janie's Got A Gun

Mark Romanek

The guy's imaginitive as all hell.

Michael & Janet Jackson Scream
Nine Inch Nails Closer, The Perfect Drug
Johnny Cash Hurt
Madonna Bedtime Story

Stephane Sednaoui

A director with stuff on DVD already, again. Considering the treatment the Smashing Pumpkins videos were given, I'd like to see a DVD of Stephane's work.

Garbage Queer
U2 Mysterious Ways, Discotheque
Bjork Big Time Sensuality

Anton Corbijn's another good one with more videos than I can remember.

Anyone else? I put this in "movie talk", since we're really looking at the short films of prolific directors.

beefjerky 02-03-04 01:18 AM

I want "Virtual Insanity" on DVD badly. My favorite music video ever.

LivingINClip 02-03-04 10:02 AM

You also forgot David Fincer done a video for A Perfect Circle, with the song 'Judith'.

Kal-El 02-03-04 10:14 AM

Michael Bay? :D

DonnachaOne 02-03-04 10:48 AM

Living, I didn't forget anything.

I simply posted some of my favorites. I'm sure that if you wanted a comprehensive list, you could find one online, perhaps in the "other works" bit of IMDb.

PalmerJoss 02-03-04 11:49 AM

Definitely Mark Romanek, Mark Pellington, and Wayne Isham.

QuiGonJosh 02-03-04 11:52 AM

Who did the November Rain video for GNR? That was awesome...

BassDude 02-03-04 11:57 AM

I'd like to see David Fincher's work. I have a Rick Springfield concert DVD (repeat that and I'll deny it! :) ) that he directed, and one of the Michael Jackson videos was done by him on the Dangerous DVD I think, but I'd like to see a bunch of his early stuff in one place.

RichDB10 02-04-04 07:25 AM

Re: What music video directors deserve a DVD collection?

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Anton Corbijn's another good one with more videos than I can remember
He'd be my choice....slightly biased with being a Depeche Mode fan given his involvement with them.
However..given his work with artists such as Joy Division,U2,Echo & The Bunnymen,Nirvana,RHCP,Travis and being a famed photographer i'm sure he has to be considered for part of Palm Pictures 'Directors' series.