DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Good Surfing movies? (visually and story-wise) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344931-good-surfing-movies-visually-story-wise.html)

rice4kidsinasia 02-02-04 08:07 PM

Good Surfing movies? (visually and story-wise)

What are some good surfing movies that look good visually and are also just good movies to watch aside from Blue Crush?

SPiRAL 02-02-04 08:27 PM

Endless Summer 1 & 2
North Shore

Me007gold 02-02-04 08:41 PM

Dog town and the Z boys (sorta)

Mondo Kane 02-02-04 09:00 PM

Big Wednesday (There's definetly a story in here)
Endless Summer 2 (Great photography and a lot of fun)

Verbal Gorilla 02-02-04 09:58 PM

Ummm...Point Break!!

Tony Dvdfan 02-02-04 10:26 PM

I was waiting to say Point Break....hesitant about whether there was really that much surfing in it...didnt see Blue Crush yet, but Point Break is a great one!

kgrogers1979 02-02-04 10:30 PM

Surf Ninjas is my favorite surfing movie.

Big Quasimodo 02-02-04 11:39 PM

Try a search. This was recently discussed.

My favorite is Big Wednesday.

Steve Phillips 02-03-04 05:42 PM

Ride the Wild Surf!

Trigger 02-03-04 06:03 PM

Originally posted by SPiRAL
Endless Summer 1 & 2
North Shore

Pants 02-03-04 07:28 PM

From this thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=surf

Narative surf films:
Best- Big Wednesday and In God's Hands- both films rule because they don't make the same mistake that almost every other narative surf film makes: Ending with "The Big Contest". Big contests are not what surfing is all about and concluding with one typically makes the lead character appear egotistical
even when they loose like in North Shore

Worst- Blue Crush, North Shore

Documentary surf films:
Best- Endless Summer 1 and 2: Yeah it's cliched and obvious but these films earn their reputation 100% (the first one in particular).
Search for Surf: To my knowledge these are only available as a compilation film on VHS but they are an extraordinary time capsule of '50s surf pioneers. Going to Hawaii then was like going to the Brazilian rain forest now.

Worst- Step into Liquid: Some of the finest surf photography ever taken, that was subsuquently assembled by an 8 year old. I worked for a post house for 1 year and have only limited experience on the Avid, but I could cut this film better than Dana Brown. Local kids in HB and Newport who make amature videos of their friends show more skill cutting then this big budget dud. What a blown opportunity.

Edited to add that I love Point Brake but it's the most bogus movie about surfers ever[b]

Verbal Gorilla 02-03-04 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
I was waiting to say Point Break....hesitant about whether there was really that much surfing in it...didnt see Blue Crush yet, but Point Break is a great one!
I though about it afterward...and in terms of actual surfing (visually), it is preatty sparse...but a classic in terms of surfing culture and just plain radness! :)

Dudikoff 02-04-04 12:10 AM

Point Break is great with its surf themed plotline.

Another vote for North Shore. I don't care about the "code" of surfing and how contests are bad. At least I don't care when I'm watching a movie to be entertained. The scenery in this movie is great and it's just an overall feel-good movie.

steebo777 02-04-04 08:04 AM

I would say Step Into Liquid without a doubt

Pants 02-05-04 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Verbal Gorilla
I though about it afterward...and in terms of actual surfing (visually), it is preatty sparse...but a classic in terms of surfing culture and just plain radness! :)
But it gets surfing culture 100% wrong

QuikSilver 02-05-04 04:41 PM

I would say Blue Crush is actually a great surf movie. Also Kate Bosworth is a nice addition.

smirnoff 02-05-04 06:55 PM

Another nod for Endless summer 2, and In Gods Hands.

I just read the new review for Billabong Oddessy, sounds good to.

thegame370 02-06-04 02:15 AM

Point Break!

custom001 02-06-04 03:21 AM

Originally posted by smirnoff
Another nod for Endless summer 2, and In Gods Hands.

I just read the new review for Billabong Oddessy, sounds good to.

I picked up "Billabong Odyssey" recently.

It's a pure documentary without much dramaturgy, but the surfing scenes are unbelievable, if not to say scary.