DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   BEST Cameron Crowe directed film? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344925-best-cameron-crowe-directed-film.html)

smirnoffski 02-02-04 07:27 PM

BEST Cameron Crowe directed film?

BEST film directed by Cameron Crowe?

jaeufraser 02-02-04 07:50 PM

Almost Famous. Just a great film, a coming of age movie that actually feels fairly genuine and really heartfelt. I love that movie, and Crowe's passion for music really shines through.

mookyman 02-02-04 09:05 PM

I agree with Almost Famous. Say Anything and Vanilla Sky would both be close behind.

talemyn 02-02-04 09:12 PM

Oh goodness . . . too many young people in this forum . . . Say Anything . . . all the way.

DVDGUY1116 02-02-04 09:22 PM

I voted for Almost Famous but I just want to state that the "Untitled" version of Almost Famous is superior to the version seen in theaters. That is the film that gets my vote.

William Fuld 02-02-04 09:29 PM

Almost Famous, easily.

Gdrlv 02-02-04 09:29 PM

Almost Famous and Say Anything are two of my favorite films of all time. Almost Famous by a nose though...

mookiemeister 02-02-04 10:20 PM

I like Almost Famous the best!

MrX 02-02-04 10:29 PM

Almost Famous

LBPound 02-02-04 10:33 PM

Shut up! Just shut up! You had me at hello!

Big Quasimodo 02-03-04 12:03 AM

Boy, this is a tough one for me. I like every one of the films in the poll, but none stand out to me as the BEST.

I find that this director has matured quite a bit over the course of his catalogue - taking on more complex and layered subject matter although his early work far exceeded the expectations of the appropriate genres (coming of age). In fact, even Jerry Maguire can be seen as a coming of age film (and so can Vanilla Sky - albeit with a distinct fantasy/horror flavor).

So, I'm gonna gonna punt Vanilla Sky due to it being a remake of a great film. Any of the others are fine choices, but the emotional impacts of Jerry Maguire wins it my vote. On another day, it could be Say Anything, Almost Famous, or Singles.

This director, like another of my current favorites, PT Anderson, certainly gets the most out of his actors. Anybody who could help win Cuba Gooding Jr an Oscar is a talented director indeed!

Matthew Chmiel 02-03-04 12:05 AM

1) Almost Famous
1.5) Say Anything
2) Singles
3) Jerry Maguire

4) Vanilla Sky (I only own the DVD to complete my Cameron Crowe and Jason Lee DVD collection ;))

Groucho 02-03-04 12:08 AM

Almost Famous

I wonder if the people voting for Vanilla Sky have seen Abre Los Ojos (or even know that it exists?)

dcprules 02-03-04 01:57 AM

Almost Famous, hands down. Though Jerry Maguire and Say Anything are probably a real close toss up for second.

grifter 02-03-04 02:51 AM

Gotta say....outside of Vanilla Sky, Jerr Maguire.

I don't get why Vanilla Sky gets the hate it does anyhow. The original seems universally praised and the films are so close. I mean mainstream hate, not the somewhat snobbier "because its a remake" hate.

Big Quasimodo 02-03-04 04:14 AM

Originally posted by grifter
Gotta say....outside of Vanilla Sky, Jerr Maguire.

I don't get why Vanilla Sky gets the hate it does anyhow. The original seems universally praised and the films are so close. I mean mainstream hate, not the somewhat snobbier "because its a remake" hate.

Just to clarify my opinion, I think Vanilla Sky is great. It's just that in this discussion, it's being somewhat derivative of Abre Los Ojos makes it easy for me to focus on the other films for Best Cameron Crowe film.

I wouldn't say that Abre Los Ojos is superior to Vanilla Sky - there is enough difference between them to enjoy both films on their own merits, especially as companion pieces.

QuiGonJosh 02-03-04 04:54 AM

Say Anything

PalmerJoss 02-03-04 06:35 AM

Almost Famous. Probably the best rock and roll movie ever, and an amazing coming of age story that is told with real heartfelt emotion.

Dubya 02-03-04 08:51 AM

Almost Famous, however I may be one of the few that prefers the theatrical cut. Say Anything never did that much for me. A good film but kinda overrated IMO.

mljones99 02-03-04 09:08 AM

almost famous

Doughboy 02-03-04 09:39 AM

Say Anything is his best film. Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous(either version) are more entertaining, but IMO Cameron Crowe's first feature is the finest movie about young romance ever made.

davidlynchfan 02-03-04 09:54 AM

Say anything

LivingINClip 02-03-04 10:01 AM

Almost Famous
I am also a fan of Vanilla Sky.

BassDude 02-03-04 11:53 AM

Originally posted by talemyn
Oh goodness . . . too many young people in this forum . . . Say Anything . . . all the way.
38 yr old man.. Almost Famous.

(Say Anything is great tho! Saw it in the theater.)

The Antipodean 02-03-04 11:55 AM

A very hard choice for me. I love all of Crowe's movies -- and while Vanilla Sky is his most unusual, I really have grown to like it more and more on each viewing. Almost Famous is, objectively, his best movie for me, while Jerry maguire is probably my least favorite although still a great movie (just not a sports person). But when it gets down to movies I'd take with me onto a desert island, I'd have to really choose hard between Say Anything and Singles. Just totally great movies. Since Say Anything probably will get more love, I'm going to go with the underrated Singles for my poll choice -- a great movie about being young and single and a perfect snapshot of the early grunge scene.

But really, they're all great movies, and part of my collection.