Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like slasher movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most recently, I have gone on a slasher binge buying Freddy vs. Jason and the Nightmare on Elm Street Box Set.

My favorite slasher is Jason Voorhies, the undead child in a man's body seems really interesting to me. I cannot wait for the Friday the 13th Box to come out this fall, and maybe FvsJ 2...

Why do a lot of moview critics and pundits say that these movies are so terrible and for those who are illiterate? I find the suspense and (sometimes) the humor to be excellent. How do you feel about slasher flicks?
Old 02-01-04, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love a good Slasher movie...but a lot are few and far between...
Old 02-01-04, 01:04 PM

Nope.
Old 02-01-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No one likes slasher movies. Not one person.
Old 02-01-04, 02:32 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like them all. Well, almost all of them.
Old 02-01-04, 04:01 PM
MSD

I like a few but overall they are just way to predictable for me.
Old 02-01-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like cheap slashers that turns out to be funny rather than scary. The Convent comes into mind when I'm thinking about such movie.
Old 02-01-04, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Being a child of the 80's, I was growing up during the Golden Age of Slasher films. I love 'em all - even the crappy Friday the 13th movies. Even Halloween III. Even the cheap knock-offs. I rememer trying to get the cable box dial JUST right inbetween the two channels so I could get HBO. Hey - it was a big deal when I could see some boobies for free like that!

Slasher movies just arent as good these days. Scream has pissed in the pool so badly that they're nothing but boring "Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, look we're being clever!" parodies of themselves. That or they're overproduce techno bullet-time fests.

Jason X and Freddy v Jason brought back some of the dignity, so things are looking up.
Old 02-02-04, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
Being a child of the 80's, I was growing up during the Golden Age of Slasher films. I love 'em all - even the crappy Friday the 13th movies. Even Halloween III. Even the cheap knock-offs. I rememer trying to get the cable box dial JUST right inbetween the two channels so I could get HBO. Hey - it was a big deal when I could see some boobies for free like that!

Slasher movies just arent as good these days. Scream has pissed in the pool so badly that they're nothing but boring "Wink-wink, nudge-nudge, look we're being clever!" parodies of themselves. That or they're overproduce techno bullet-time fests.

Jason X and Freddy v Jason brought back some of the dignity, so things are looking up.
I agree with El-Kabong, the eighties produced some of the best of the genre (give or take a few klunkers). The knew the formula: gore, nubile babes, gore, inept foolish teenagers, sex, and more gore. The eighties were also the time when many movies opted not to get rated by the MPAA and release horror films (specifically the Italian ones) with no rating: unrated - no under 17 due to extreme violence. Nowadays, Hollywood, the ultra-conservative MPAA Ratings board and major theatre chains have pretty much taken the fun out of slasher films by diluting them for the masses and adding as you put "hip humor". Sigh...
Old 02-02-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i love them. even if they are cheesy.
Old 02-02-04, 04:14 PM

I love slasher movies, gore flicks, zombie movies, anything of the b-grade horror tradition (as long as it's R rated!!! pg-13 horror is sham in general!). Why do the critics trash these movies? because really they're not very good.

I like these movies for certain elements and find the bad parts (acting, low production value, bad dialogue, stupid stories) sometimes part off the charm, and sometimes not enough to distract me from the fun of the gore and silly violence.

Anyway, keep em comin...I love these type of movies.
Old 02-02-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Slasher movies are cool, but there are some many that just suck so bad, that it's hard to find a good one.
Old 02-02-04, 07:41 PM

As with any genre there are good and bad movies out there. By nature, slasher movies are not intended to be deep, thought provoking drama and whatnot. Just as slapstick won't be intellectual. Obviously there are exceptions, but you get the idea.

It's ok to dislike certain genres, but it's dangerous to make broad generalizations as many people often do. However, that being said, I will agree that most of the good work happened pre-1990's. But, that's inherant to all things entertainment as the marketing machines get to work. More money, less quality. People still consume.
Old 02-02-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
No one likes slasher movies. Not one person.
...you are joking, are you not...?...

...fwiw, I love a good slasher movie every once in a while...

. . . . . .
Old 02-02-04, 08:08 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I like some of them, although the new breed of "Hip" special-effects fests aren't high on my list.
Old 02-02-04, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I like some of them, although the new breed of "Hip" special-effects fests aren't high on my list.
I definately prefer watching the old school lo-tech approach - Savini is ace when it comes to blood and gore - check out the unrated edition of "The Prowler" to see how it's done.

of the newer SFX guys: I like KNB's work
Old 02-02-04, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Giles.

The original slashers ruled(well most of them,there was ATON of crappy ones..but still quite a few gems that kick all of todays stuff asses!). Todays stuff is pretty lame thanks to major studios,big budgets,CGI,crappy popular actors/pop music stars..lack of gore,nudity,fear,atmosphere,downer shock endings....& everything that made slashers what they were!

Of course a few recent films have attempted to bring back the exploitation & depravity of old school horror(Freddy Vs Jason being the most successful,though suffers from some flaws of 'modern horror'). So things 'may' be looking up. Yet only time will tell,as I severely doubt we will ever see anything like the old school slashers again,which is a shame.

I really want to see The Prowler. I plan on picking up sometime. Also I am always interested in checking out more obscure old school slashers. Yet with the barrage of boring crap out there(Pieces,The Mutilator),I am more cautious than when I was a kid & rented everything on the shelf
Old 02-02-04, 09:18 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I agree with Giles.

The original slashers ruled(well most of them,there was ATON of crappy ones..but still quite a few gems that kick all of todays stuff asses!)
But you know, I'd take any one of the crappy slasher films over todays 'horror' films - with a few exceptions, of course.
Old 02-02-04, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So true,so true

Even some of the worst & pretty boring slashers of the past had,at least an interesting tension filled sequence or two,or maybe an inovative nasty kill,which made an otherwise forgettable film experiance worth viewing(once at least).

I can not say the same for the majority of todays horror films. Definitely in the pits for the most part!
Old 02-02-04, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

For me, Slasher flicks are much like the 80's hair bands. At the time, man there was nothing better. However, time has not been kind. I can now see that it really wasn't all that great. But damn if I don't sing along when I hear a song.
Old 02-03-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im prolly the only one, but I really like the weeny slasher flicks (IKWYDLS, Scream, etc) more than the "real thing".

j
Old 02-03-04, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Julie Walker

I really want to see The Prowler. I plan on picking up sometime. Also I am always interested in checking out more obscure old school slashers. Yet with the barrage of boring crap out there(Pieces,The Mutilator),I am more cautious than when I was a kid & rented everything on the shelf
The R-rated theatrical cut "The Mutilator" was indeed crap, gonna have to try and track down the unrated video version of the film.

As for "Pieces" sure it aint the best, but the opening axe to the head is the standout effect and most memorable part of the film.
Old 02-03-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know anything about the Friday the 13th rip-off, The Burning, produced by the Weinstein Brothers of Miramax fame, being release on DVD?
Old 02-03-04, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Butt
Does anyone know anything about the Friday the 13th rip-off, The Burning, produced by the Weinstein Brothers of Miramax fame, being release on DVD?
oh where to start: complete unrated prints on Region 2 DVD,

MGM has the domestic video rights, they have an exclusive deal with Amazon where the unrated cut of the film has and is only available on VHS. As to when and if MGM plans on releasing this on DVD as such, has yet to be determined.
Old 02-03-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
oh where to start: complete unrated prints on Region 2 DVD,

MGM has the domestic video rights, they have an exclusive deal with Amazon where the unrated cut of the film has and is only available on VHS. As to when and if MGM plans on releasing this on DVD as such, has yet to be determined.
Damn. I got excited about this movie when I read online that it had Savini's special effects and George Costanza's acting in it. I guess I'll just wait for MGM to release it...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.