Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like slasher movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does anyone like slasher movies?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely I love slasher movies. I grew up watching them, and they always make for a great evening when watching one with friends.
Old 02-04-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
The R-rated theatrical cut "The Mutilator" was indeed crap, gonna have to try and track down the unrated video version of the film.

As for "Pieces" sure it aint the best, but the opening axe to the head is the standout effect and most memorable part of the film.
Actually I did see the uncensored version of The Mutilator & was bored to death! The FX are terrible & could easily be in the R version in my honest opinion. The only standout effect in the 'ouch' & 'ewwww' factor was the meathook through the vagina. Yet the movie was just so painfully boring. It is not worth seeking out.

I had the same reaction with Pieces. It did nothing for me & bored me to death. I got about two laughs out of the film & that was it. A huge disappointment since I love campy films.

I think when I do get The Prowler on dvd. I may try tracking down the elusive rare R rated version on VHS for comparisons sake.

As for The Buring,I think it rocks & is one of the best 'other' slashers to come out of the 80's in terms of being obscure. Very atmospheric,frightening & terrific use of restraint & rising tension. If you expect a non-stop gorefest that is fast paced. You will be sorely disappointed. Yet as a 'less is more' shocker,it works beautifully & when the gore hits,it hits hard!

The R version is a disgrave though as it sloppily delets all the gore. Though is worthy viewing at least once to educate onesself on the MPAAs reign of terror over horror films & why censorship sucks.
Old 02-04-04, 06:27 AM
Banned

If only these "Teen heat" actresses would take their tops off.

Scream and IKWYDLS had the perfect opportunites for a boob shot yet they pissed it away!! They hatesss ussss.

Oh and please bring back rubber appendages!
Old 02-04-04, 08:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Actually I did see the uncensored version of The Mutilator & was bored to death! The FX are terrible & could easily be in the R version in my honest opinion. The only standout effect in the 'ouch' & 'ewwww' factor was the meathook through the vagina. Yet the movie was just so painfully boring. It is not worth seeking out.

I remember only two movies where I actually threw my goober candy box at the screen in disgust as being painfully bad, it was this film and "CHUD".
Old 02-04-04, 07:09 PM

I quite like the slasher films, but more the old school series, such as Halloween, Nightmare On Elm Street and Friday the 13th.

Looking forward to those uncut Friday films, as some of the cuts ones in my collection, nearly look like a Disney film.
Old 02-04-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh yeah the slasher films of the early 80's are great. Check out 'Curtains', 'Terror Train', and 'Happy Birthday To Me' for some great "slasher" action.
Old 02-04-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love slasher flicks - especially the early 80's classics. Seeing some of the crap released these days makes me cherish them that much more.
Old 02-04-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
I remember only two movies where I actually threw my goober candy box at the screen in disgust as being painfully bad, it was this film and "CHUD".
Ughh I HATED C.H.U.D.!! Even the new slightly extended re-edited version on dvd did nothing at all to save the film!

Even the director & cast find it a dissapointment in the commentary. Since I guess they had nice ideas,yet just no money,time or a fully fleshed out plot. So they had to use what they had,which was nothing & the film was just boring as hell!

I am selling my dvd of it right away though as I can't stand it in my collection any longer. I tryed giving it another chance,yet it just is not a good movie at all!

The Mutilator was so bad that I felt like ripping the tape apart in disgust & anger at wasting my time on this piece of dreck!!