DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Looking for title of these movies... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344570-looking-title-these-movies.html)

Buford T Pusser 01-31-04 10:38 PM

Looking for title of these movies...

We've rented "Knife in the Water" and it made my wife, Mrs. Pusser, think she's seen something else that took place on a boat with murder.

Anyone know what films she's thinking of?

She thinks both of these films were done by the same director and they are French.

The first is from the 60's. There's a boat with a woman and two men. One man kills the other man and he thinks he gets away with the murder. At the end he buys the boat and they pull it up and the dead guy is attached to the anchor. She thinks it's French and in color. Not "Dead Calm" or "Knife in the Water".

The next one is maybe from the 50's-60's. A schoolteacher goes on the vacation she has always dreamed of to Venice. She meets an annoying couple on the boat ride over. She falls in love with a local man. There's an impish child who is her confidante. And there's a scene where she wants to buy some glass at an antique store. She thinks the star is a famous American actress in her later years and the other people are foreign.

POWERBOMB 02-01-04 12:18 AM

If I could piggy back on the searching for a title part, I'm trying to find the name of a movie where a small band of people are searching for something. At some point during the movie, One or more of the people have to visit some woman who has decided to live in the middle of a spider's web. The spider never attacked her because she could control it as long as she had a sand time thingy. Anyways during the scene the guys get the answers to the clues they need, the giant spider tries to devour them but the woman gives them more time to escape with the sand time thingy and after she destroys it the spider ends up devouring her.

I remember watching this movie when I was really young and can only remember this scene. Any help is appreciated.

OldBoy 02-01-04 03:27 AM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
...Anyways during the scene the guys get the answers to the clues they need, the giant spider tries to devour them but the woman gives them more time to escape with the sand time thingy and after she destroys...
the movie is "Krull"..but you really should have started a different thread..it really isn't fair to the peeps who started the thread in the first place as this has absolutely nothing to do with that..be considerate to them.

garolo 02-01-04 07:16 AM

Re: Looking for title of these movies...

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

The next one is maybe from the 50's-60's. A schoolteacher goes on the vacation she has always dreamed of to Venice. She meets an annoying couple on the boat ride over. She falls in love with a local man. There's an impish child who is her confidante. And there's a scene where she wants to buy some glass at an antique store. She thinks the star is a famous American actress in her later years and the other people are foreign.

At first I was tempted to say Now Voyager
with Betty Davis but I don't remember an antique shop scene.

ckolchak 02-01-04 07:48 AM

Summertime
Kate Hepburn.
Darren McGavin is also in it.

MrN 02-01-04 12:15 PM

Re: Looking for title of these movies...

She thinks both of these films were done by the same director and they are French.

The first is from the 60's. There's a boat with a woman and two men. One man kills the other man and he thinks he gets away with the murder. At the end he buys the boat and they pull it up and the dead guy is attached to the anchor. She thinks it's French and in color. Not "Dead Calm" or "Knife in the Water".

This is Purple Noon - with Alain Delon as Tom Ripley.

Buford T Pusser 02-01-04 07:24 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
Summertime
Kate Hepburn.
Darren McGavin is also in it.

:thumbsup:

You are correct!

Funny that Darren McGavin is in it.

Buford T Pusser 02-01-04 07:28 PM

Re: Re: Looking for title of these movies...

Originally posted by MrN
This is Purple Noon - with Alain Delon as Tom Ripley.
You are correct although we've never seen it. She was thinking it might be "The Talented Mr. Ripley" but was thinking it was an older version of the film. If this is the only version, we've never seen it.

In this film is the guy still attached to the anchor?

QuiGonJosh 02-01-04 07:37 PM

Whats that flick with Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil?

veritasredux 02-01-04 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Looking for title of these movies...

You are correct although we've never seen it. She was thinking it might be "The Talented Mr. Ripley" but was thinking it was an older version of the film. If this is the only version, we've never seen it.

That's the one. Really great movie that was rereleased a few years ago after Scorcese made a big push for it at several film festivals. Good DVD as well.

OldBoy 02-01-04 07:43 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Whats that flick with Nicole Kidman and Sam Neil?
Dead Calm

QuiGonJosh 02-01-04 07:47 PM

yeah...could that be it?

Norm de Plume 02-02-04 10:35 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
yeah...could that be it?
Read 4th paragraph of first post.

MrN 02-03-04 03:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Looking for title of these movies...

Talented Mr. Ripley and Purple Noon are based on the same book (by Patricia Highsmith). And yes, in the French version, the guy is caught on the anchor.

caligulathegod 02-03-04 03:53 AM

I don't see anything wrong with preventing clutter in the forum by piggybacking a second request of the same nature. Had he jumped in and asked a completely irrelevant question, yeah, but it was just another movie title request.

POWERBOMB 02-03-04 02:44 PM

Originally posted by scott1598
the movie is "Krull"..but you really should have started a different thread..it really isn't fair to the peeps who started the thread in the first place as this has absolutely nothing to do with that..be considerate to them.
Thanks.

I thought about starting my own thread, but then I figured it would have started a whole slew of similar threads such as what you see now in the forums. Plus I didn't want to waste bandwidth, etc. If he would have objected to my piggybacking, then I would have deleted and started my own. Trust me, I'm cool like that.