DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   So I finally seen Fargo.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344479-so-i-finally-seen-fargo.html)

DarthVong 01-31-04 10:29 AM

So I finally seen Fargo....

Having never seen the film, but always hearing good things I decided to give this one a rental.
I have to say I was pleasently surprised at how good of a film it was.
All the acting was great, especially Frances McDormand.
Are there any other films like this that I might like as well. I'm trying to expand my movie watching beyond the Horror/Sci-Fi and Action genres...

Goldberg74 01-31-04 10:33 AM

In trying to think of comedies with a twist of seriousness, and a quirky story, you might wanna give Bandits a try. The one with Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thorton and Kate Blanchet.

Groucho 01-31-04 10:37 AM

Other Coen Brothers movies would be the obvious recommendation.

jay77a 01-31-04 10:39 AM

Try some other Coen Bros. (Raising Arizona, Big Lebowski, Blood Simple, Man Who Wasn't There, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?)

DarthVong 01-31-04 10:45 AM

I've seen Big Lebowski, it was ok. I usually don't see films based on the writer/director, but I will check out Raising Arizona. That films seems interesting.

PalmerJoss 01-31-04 11:55 AM

Definitely "The Man Who Wasn't There", and if you like the type of character and dialogue driven movie that Fargo was I'm sure you would like "Glengarry Glen Ross".

Nuff 02-02-04 03:43 PM

Personally I despise this movie. This movie was downright insulting and misrepresentative. Essentially every character in it is depicted as either stupid or incompetant or slow witted. I just don't get what others see in it, so what did you all who liked it see in it?

Geofferson 02-02-04 04:07 PM

Fargo is one of their best films, IMO. Blood Simple, Raising Arizona and Barton Fink are also up there.

balancer 02-02-04 04:37 PM

Another vote for Blood Simple!

And Bandits suuuuuuuucked ;)

Robert 02-02-04 05:06 PM

I watched fargo and thought steve buscemi was really funny but I couldn't get past those ridiculous accents.

covenant 02-02-04 05:37 PM

I just watched Blood Simple and Millers Crossing today. Excellant movies, but they ended kinda abruptly.

garolo 02-02-04 06:00 PM

Go for the brothers first film first, Blood Simple. Then Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother, Big Lebowski

You really can't go wrong with any of their films.

NEUMANN 02-02-04 10:37 PM

I thought it was a great movie,one thing i can't understand though is those accents,i live in minnesota and have never met a person that talks like that

CKMorpheus 02-02-04 11:05 PM

I can't belive no one mentioned the Hudsucker Proxy! Probably one of their funniest movies, IMHO.

Trigger 02-02-04 11:10 PM

Hudsucker Proxy - :up:
Barton Fink - :up:
Raising Arizona - :up:
Blood Simple - :up:

The Man Who Wasn't There - :down:
Big Lebowski - :down:

Glengarry Glenross - :up:

I liked Oh Brother, Where Art Thou - but I don't think it's in league with Raising Arizona or the others. It's good though. The Coens also did a straight to video release with Michael Rappaport where he was a wrestler called Naked Man or something - that was decent.

HistoryProf 02-03-04 01:30 AM

You finally seen it? -ohbfrank- i ain't never hurd nuthin so crazy!

Verbal Gorilla 02-03-04 11:48 AM

Funny, I just recently saw this movie as well (~4 months ago) and I found it average. After all the hype, I was it in the video store and was kicking myself for waiting so long...but after watching it, I didn't feel there was that much there. Some interestign characters and the quirkiness that I expected was there, but I didn't find it on the level of some other Coen bro's stuff. I loved Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy and Big Lebowski....Oh well...different strokes...

TCG 02-03-04 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Nuff
Personally I despise this movie. This movie was downright insulting and misrepresentative. Essentially every character in it is depicted as either stupid or incompetant or slow witted. I just don't get what others see in it, so what did you all who liked it see in it?
by any chance, are you from North Dakota?

I enjoyed it on cable the one time i saw it. it had a well crafted story, interesting characters, good acting. I'll buy the SE someday.

Tony Dvdfan 02-03-04 12:54 PM

I loved this movie. All the actors are great (William H Macy is terrific). Great movie to go back and watch several times.

mookiemeister 02-03-04 01:29 PM

Have you seen A Simple Plan? Fargo reminded me of A Simple Plan for some reason even though the story is completely different.

Michael Corvin 02-03-04 08:32 PM

mookie, good thinking. A Simple Plan was excellent.

Robert 02-03-04 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Hudsucker Proxy - :up:
Barton Fink - :up:
Raising Arizona - :up:
Blood Simple - :up:

The Man Who Wasn't There - :down:
Big Lebowski - :down:

Glengarry Glenross - :up:

I liked Oh Brother, Where Art Thou - but I don't think it's in league with Raising Arizona or the others. It's good though. The Coens also did a straight to video release with Michael Rappaport where he was a wrestler called Naked Man or something - that was decent.

Glengarry GlenRoss wasn't directed by the Coens.

Nuff 02-04-04 03:16 PM

Originally posted by TCG
by any chance, are you from North Dakota?
Nope. Seriously though, I thought the acting was...well average at best, the story was rather boring. The characters actions were beyond my ability to suspend disbelief (given the environment they were set in...ie if you set the stage for a fantasy world I can believe magic might exist...if you set the stage for the real world then when every character in the entire movie behaves very abnormally I have a problem...make sense?). So really I want to know why people like this movie...don't just say "it was a great movie" I want to know why you thought so? Thanks!

-Nuff

DRG 02-04-04 05:13 PM

Originally posted by NEUMANN
I thought it was a great movie,one thing i can't understand though is those accents,i live in minnesota and have never met a person that talks like that
:up:
I live in North Dakota (I'm not from here though), so I know what you mean. I have heard a few old guys (we're talking 70 years old) with the accent, but that's about it. When people enjoy the accent and realize it's a vocal caricature that's fine, but I read many reviews praising the "dead-on accents" and whatnot. I had to laugh. It would be like a film set in New York City where everyone had a thick Brooklyn accent, no matter what age they were or part of the city they were from.

For the record, I think the movie is just okay. I didn't care for O Brother, but I absolutely love Big Lebowski. I haven't seen any other Coen films to comment on.