DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone see Cronos? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/344395-anyone-see-cronos.html)

OldBoy 01-30-04 06:49 PM

Anyone see Cronos?

And can tell me how it is? I sort of ordered it blind and want to see if I made a good choice. If you know the Special Edition and let me know all the good stuff it has with bonus and movie and all...Thanks for comments.

Sessa17 01-30-04 07:20 PM

I absolutely love Cronos. It's very slow, & atmospheric. It's so rare you see a good horror movie out of Mexico, it's really a gem of a movie. And Perlman is great in the movie. Don't expect gore or scare. It's a very original movie which is rare, putting a new twist on a done to death subject manner.

starving dvder 02-07-04 05:47 AM

I have to agree with Sessa 17. If you are looking for a gory horror fest, you will be let down. I am pleased to have this edition to my collection.

chente 02-07-04 12:58 PM

Saw it theatrically and picked up the SE on release day. Good movie. Some really creepy parts.

DonnachaOne 02-07-04 01:21 PM

Good film. I agree, slow, atmospheric, quite funny at times.

"Which nose?"

The premise that drives teh film is grand, however, I don't think the potential is fully realized. Interesting film though, and I'm pleased to own the film.

Mr. Cricket 02-07-04 02:50 PM

I had the pleasure of catching this title upon initial release. I really enjoyed it. My friend just recently purchased it, and I viewed it again. And while I did still enjoy the film, it had lost a bit of the luster it had in my memory.

There is more than one memorable scene in the film, but it at times suffers from a somewhat erratic pace. While I agree with some of the previous posters about the films atmosphere, I was a bit let down at times.

The actual device in question is quite cool (and I was supremely disappointed when the rumor that the dvd would include a replica of the device turned out to be false), but is really no more than a disguise of the premise behind the vampirism. If not for said device, the film really loses some of it's luster.

One level in which this films does work, was actually covered better in the film The Asphyx. A film I recommend to anyone who enjoyed this film, and delights in 70's cheesy horror.

All in all, I think you made a good purchase. As for extras and whatnot, I'm not entirely sure, but I do remember a pretty good interview with the director.

bdots48 02-07-04 04:29 PM

The dvd has a great commentary from the director who also directed the equally wonderful The Devil's Backbone. Two of my favorite horror films on dvd (if they have to be classified as that).

marty888 02-08-04 12:32 AM

Another :up: for this little gem, which I first saw on cable several years ago. Del Toro is a very gifted director (<i>Devil's Backbone</i> is another winner).

Tuan Jim 02-08-04 12:44 AM

Like it a lot -- and you do get a better feel for it watching the interviews finding out the history behind the film. Not quite what I was expecting from the reviews, but no disappointment either.

One thing I would have like to have seen explored a little more --
Spoiler:
explanation of that weird, (supernatural?) bug inside the device.
However the way they have it does add to the mystery.