Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe The Movie rumored to be a go

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-30-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G.I. Joe movie story

G.I.Joe Rations
Some new rumors to report.

November 14, 2003 - A mysterious new scooper has provided IGN FilmForce with what they claim is the current status of the live-action G.I. Joe movie now in the works. But before we get to that we have to correct something. In our original report, I suggested that Joe screenwriter Michael Gordon might be the same Michael Gordon whose credits include Late Night with Conan O'Brien. It turns out that I was wrong.

According to a Variety story from September, Gordon is the screenwriter of The 300 Spartans about the ancient battle of Thermopylae. "Michael is a fanatic about the subject matter," G.I. Joe producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura told Variety at the time. Both di Bonaventura and Brian Goldner, president of Hasbro's U.S. Toys Segment, reportedly loved Gordon's Spartans script and drafted him for duty on G.I. Joe.

There is a remake of the 1962 film The 300 Spartans in-development at 20th Century Fox but Emmy-winner Erik Jendresen (HBO's Band of Brothers) was the last reported screenwriter on that project not Gordon.

IGN FilmForce's scooper suggests, however, that the project is not The 300 Spartans but rather a feature film adaptation of Frank Miller's comic book 300, which also depicts the battle of Thermopylae. (One Thermopylae project we know it isn't is the trapped-in-development hell adaptation of Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire.)

Since our scooper is new to us, however, we're not sure yet if all they've told us about G.I. Joe is on the money or not.

"Paramount has bought the pitch and is finalizing a deal with Hasbro and the writer (should be announced in the next two weeks)," our scooper claims. "Gordon is a 27-year-old screenwriter with a two picture deal at Warners. Wrote a badass script called 300 (based on Frank Miller's graphic novel). The [Joe] characters will come from the '80s Joe (Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Cobra, Storm Shadow), set in the present with a high concept."

Speculation arose online that the popular 1980s incarnation would not be used for the film after comments made by di Bonaventura and Goldner to Variety:

"I knew of Lorenzo through his past work, and discovered that he understands this character and where we want to take Joe in the future," Goldner said.

"Hasbro reached out to me, and they understand that you have to allow a cinematic experience and not put constraints on what could be done with the character," di Bonaventura said. "We've worked for three months to create a narrative structure that works."

IGN FilmForce will bring you more info on G.I. Joe as it happens!
Old 01-30-04, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 152 Likes on 126 Posts
"The [Joe] characters will come from the '80s Joe (Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Cobra, Storm Shadow), set in the present with a high concept."

If they are really going to go through w/ this, I'm hoping that they really do intend to stick w/ the classic characters so many of us grew up w/ in the '80s.
Old 01-30-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They could cast from 82-86, and I wouldn't mind at all.

Hopefully this will happen, and I am interesting in seeing who would be cast as Cobra Commander
Old 01-30-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
They could cast from 82-86, and I wouldn't mind at all.

Hopefully this will happen, and I am interesting in seeing who would be cast as Cobra Commander
Well I for one would like to see Willem DeFoe as Cobra Commander.
Old 01-30-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
80's Joe?

I remember a few years ago reading something about a guy who wanted to make a G.I. Joe movie featuring the 80's cast but that it would be a murder mystery with action movie trappings. Basically it would start with Flint and Lady Jaye dying in a car bombing and other Joes getting systematically killed while the remaining few try to piece together who is doing this and why. I wonder if any of that might find itself in some way shape or form into this new script.

That said, Snake Eyes better be there.
Old 01-30-04, 12:49 AM

Problem with casting Snake Eyes and most of the Cobras is they all wear masks. And the intrigue of those characters is that they never show their faces...
Old 01-30-04, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And who says the live action Snake Eyes should show his face? Just cast any number of bad ass martial artists that have yet to cross over. Besides, you could do like the older comics and show him in a flashback (in the process showing the helicopter crash that caused his injuries) or like the newer comics have his face restored via surgery and then destroyed when Cobra members stuck his face into hot coals.
Old 01-30-04, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Well I for one would like to see Willem DeFoe as Cobra Commander.
That would work. Especially if you saw how Cobra Commander was portrayed in the comericals for the new toy line. It's a shame G.I. Joe: Spy Troops though filled with nostalgic elements (like CC being a doofus) didn't live up to the promise of those ads that were then re-edited to become the trailer for G.I. Joe: Spy Troops.
Old 01-30-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about Jet Li for Snake Eyes?
Old 01-30-04, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 963 Likes on 669 Posts
I'd pay money to see this if they did it right!
Old 01-30-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JASON LEE FOR SHIPWRECK.
Old 01-30-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
I'd like that but he has a habit of asking for too much money when offered a role (*cough*The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions*cough) regardless of wether it's a bit part or an actual starring role.

Maybe Donnie Yen (though he's crossed over he hasn't really had any BIG parts in the US). Or even Colin Chou who was awesome as Seraph.
Old 01-30-04, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
JASON LEE FOR SHIPWRECK.
I'd rather see Bruce Campbell as Shipwreck.
Old 01-30-04, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This entire thing sounds rotten. If you are going to make this, go all the way, and make it a 250-300 million dollar action blockbuster epic. It sounds like corners are being cut already, limited cast, etc, and I've not seen one thing to make me optimistic about this project. To me, it's brand is nearly as strong as Spiderman, because teenagers to 35 year olds would be at this on opening weekend, and you usually don't get the 21+ crowd for this level of action movie. That is if it was a good movie.
Old 01-30-04, 04:58 AM

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts
This could be really, really cool or it could blow big donkey chunks.
Old 01-30-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G.I. Joe casting thread

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=live+action
Old 01-30-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
This entire thing sounds rotten. If you are going to make this, go all the way, and make it a 250-300 million dollar action blockbuster epic. It sounds like corners are being cut already, limited cast, etc, and I've not seen one thing to make me optimistic about this project. To me, it's brand is nearly as strong as Spiderman, because teenagers to 35 year olds would be at this on opening weekend, and you usually don't get the 21+ crowd for this level of action movie. That is if it was a good movie.

Well it's still very early yet.

I think you have to limit the cast somewhat. From what I remember, toward the end of the series the Joe team had over 50 members. I don't think there's anyway you can include every single one.

If they do this the same way as Bryan Singer and Fox made the first X-Men movie I'd be pretty happy.
Old 01-30-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Jet Li would be better for Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes is caucasian, but I guess as long as he has his mask on, it really doesn't matter who plays him as long as they can do the martial arts moves. If they hired Jet Li, they would want to show his face.
Old 01-30-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by resinrats
Jet Li would be better for Storm Shadow. Snake Eyes is caucasian, but I guess as long as he has his mask on, it really doesn't matter who plays him as long as they can do the martial arts moves. If they hired Jet Li, they would want to show his face.
You're absolutely right. That's who I had in mind actually, I just mixed them up.
Old 01-30-04, 04:58 PM

I mean, I loved these guys when I was a kid. I had all the toys and watched the tv show all the time. But...seriously, what is there to base a movie on? They have some cool characters who shoot at each other and always miss. While a good movie COULD be made out of this, seriously the chances of that are so low it's incredible. They don't even have good material to start with (story wise). I liked the cartoon, but seriously that writing and style was in no way good enough to support a live action film. I understand the franchise, but I can't help but feeling this would turn out like Streetfight the movie with Van Damme.

But...if they can pull it off...cool. But I don't think the GI Joe world will work too well in live action...
Old 01-30-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I also think it will be tough to pull off a good G.I. Joe like action movie, although now seems to be the right time with it making somewhat of a comeback and the original G.I. Joe fans being prime moviegoers. I'm interested, but skeptical
Old 01-30-04, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by RocShemp
80's Joe?

I remember a few years ago reading something about a guy who wanted to make a G.I. Joe movie featuring the 80's cast but that it would be a murder mystery with action movie trappings. Basically it would start with Flint and Lady Jaye dying in a car bombing and other Joes getting systematically killed while the remaining few try to piece together who is doing this and why. I wonder if any of that might find itself in some way shape or form into this new script.

That said, Snake Eyes better be there.
That actually sounds like a great idea for a G.I. JOE movie. I think something like that would work a lot better than a straight up action movie.
Old 01-31-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
That actually sounds like a great idea for a G.I. JOE movie. I think something like that would work a lot better than a straight up action movie.
Me too. Hell, I'd rewrite it if they felt it needed some changes here and there. But, me, I'd take that basic plot and make it revolve around Snake Eyes. Not just cos he's an ass kicker but because his love/hate relationship of sorts with Storm Shadow always intruiged me.
Old 01-31-04, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sure hope Sgt. Slaughter and "Refridgerator" Perry make cameos...

I nominate Ving Rhames for Destro.
Old 01-29-05, 08:54 PM

Received 1,290 Likes on 766 Posts
It's been a year. Anything new?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.