Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar break off talks

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar break off talks

Old 01-29-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Disney/Pixar break off talks AND now a new player

According to AP, Pixar broke off talks with Disney essentially ending their relationship.

READ HERE

And as an extra added bonus a picture of our man JB:

Last edited by grip; 02-11-04 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oy..

Well.. let's see how they survive without each other. Pixar will no doubt continue to make great movies so let's hope they can find somebody that will give them the push that Disney can.
Old 01-29-04, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I especially like that last paragraph [bolded for your convenience]

Exactly when is that shareholders meeting taking place..?
Pixar ends talks with Disney to seek deal with other studio

By GARY GENTILE
AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Pixar Animation Studios is ending talks aimed at continuing its relationship with The Walt Disney Co. and will seek a deal with another studio, Pixar chief executive Steve Jobs said Thursday.

Pixar, which co-produced last year's top-box office draw, "Finding Nemo," said it will look for an agreement that allows it to retain ownership of future movies.

Under Pixar's current deal with Disney, the two companies share box office receipts and licensing revenues while Disney retains the right to make sequels to movies such as "Toy Story" and "Monsters Inc."

"After 10 months of trying to strike a deal with Disney, we're moving on," Jobs said in a prepared statement. "We've had a great run together - one of the most successful in Hollywood history- and it's a shame that Disney won't be participating in Pixar's future successes."

Disney did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Pixar has two movies yet to deliver under its current Disney deal, including "The Incredibles," due in theaters in November, and "Cars," which will be released next year.

Shares of Disney, which had risen 78 cents, or 3 percent earlier in the day, fell $1.48, or 6 percent in after hours trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Shares of Pixar, which were halted late in the day on the announcement, rose $1.55, or 2.4 percent in after hours trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market after rising 1.6 percent in regular trading.

Last August, Jobs said Pixar had talked briefly with rival studios such as Warner Bros. and Fox, but would remain in exclusive talks with Disney until those talks failed.

"We have talked to many of these studios and we know we can get the deal we want," Jobs said during a conference call with analysts last August. "We have time. The right deal is more important than a quick deal."

Disney said in the past it was willing to make a new deal with Pixar that makes financial sense and had expressed optimism about ongoing talks.

But Disney chief executive Michael Eisner also made it clear that Disney had its own computer-animation expertise and had struck deals with other potential partners to make similar computer-animated movies.
Old 01-29-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is Eisner trying to be canned?
Old 01-29-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excuse me:

I give Eisner another 2 years, tops. They just want to hit bottom real bad, don't they?

Pixar is going to do just fine without Disney, don't worry about them.
Old 01-29-04, 05:18 PM

You just know that Disney is going to cash in and make some sub-par sequels
Old 01-29-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eisner is not long for this world.. this is just more proof of what a moran he is.
Old 01-29-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
He's related to her?

Last edited by grip; 01-29-04 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 05:25 PM

I'm sure Pixar will continue to make great movies.

And Disney will probably attempt to capitalize on what Pixar's left them with.
Old 01-29-04, 05:59 PM

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Yup...
Old 01-29-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

actually can disney make sequels without Pixar agreeing to them?
Old 01-29-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by gcribbs
From the article above..
Under Pixar's current deal with Disney, the two companies share box office receipts and licensing revenues while Disney retains the right to make sequels to movies such as "Toy Story" and "Monsters Inc."
Old 01-29-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcribbs
Yes, they can. Will they be any good? I highly doubt it.
Old 01-29-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so would Pixar get revenues from the sequels?

If so then Disney might slowly ruin the franchises with Pixar getting some additional money to help them. Sounds like Pixar would still win.
Old 01-29-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

More nuggets from Eisner:

The split also offers a further hurdle for Eisner as he tries to steer his struggling media conglomerate into a full turnaround. Eisner is already dealing with uncertain economics in the TV and theme parks businesses, along with a pair of dissident shareholders seeking to portray the executive as overpaid and unresponsive to shareholder needs.

[[snip]]

Asked earlier this month about negotiations with Pixar, Eisner was highly complimentary of the Pixar organization, particularly creative executive Lasseter. Eisner also made reference to Disney's in-house development of computer animation technology -- behind the forthcoming all-computer-animated Chicken Little -- though he mentioned a need for having "clones of John Lasseter."

Mr Eisner has recently embarked on a campaign to rebuild shareholder confidence in the company and the independence of its board. In October he told an investment conference in Phoenix, that strong results from the studio and cable television businesses would contribute to anticipated earnings per share growth of at least 30 per cent in the current financial year.

"I firmly believe that the performance turnaround at our company is now under way," he said.
Old 01-29-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad to hear it. I've always thought Pixar's movies might be cooler once they're out from under Disney's thumb.
Old 01-29-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Eisner is not long for this world.. this is just more proof of what a moran he is.

Seriously! What the hell is going on in that head of his!??
Old 01-29-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Probably more "morans"
Old 01-29-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't even think Eisner will last 2 years... I say he's out in less than one.
Old 01-29-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 583 Likes on 360 Posts
Originally posted by grip
He's related to her?

I always liked this one:
Old 01-29-04, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pixar is going to do just fine without Disney, don't worry about them.
The question is this. If Pixar is going to foot the entire bill for their movies themselves, something they weren't doing under Disney, what happens when they suffer a bomb. You know as well as I do that sooner or later they are going to make a movie that drops like a turd in a toilet bowl. It's also likely they'll have to endure a rough period, just the way Disney did. Since they don't have anywhere near the kind of money the big conglomerates like Disney do, can they survive that. We'll see.
Old 01-29-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm sure that Pixar will do well at the box office and home video sales, but licensing revenues and merchandise sales will be hurt - in the short term at least. Hopefully, keeping a larger chuck of movie related money will make up for lossing the merchandise sales from Disney.

BTW: I wonder if they have been building a warchest these last few years in case a movie does bomb.

Last edited by Kdogg; 01-29-04 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-29-04, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If not for Pirates of the Carribbean, I wouldn't have expected Eisner to survive out the year. Since it was indeed a huge live-action hit for Disney in 2003, he probably bought himself breathing room through summer 2005. If the ship flounders over the next 18-20 months though, he may not see 2006.

And as for Pixar themselves, congratulations! You will certainly get the deal YOU want from another studio (instead of Disney's staunch terms) and, let's face it, you've earned it.
Old 01-29-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clearly, he's related to her.
Old 01-30-04, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I don't even think Eisner will last 2 years... I say he's out in less than one.
Eisner will be lucky if he survives till the shareholders' meeting in early March 2004!

I have this feeling that Eisner will finally see the light and announce he will retire at the shareholders' meeting, taking all the cronies of Eisner along with him. It's either that or he will be pushed out by the shareholders.

After Eisner and his cronies are gone, expect Disney to extensively revamp itself. You may see Miramax sold off, and Disney may extensively revamp its cable TV operations, too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy E. Disney become the new head of the corporation, complete with "grooming" another Disney family member to eventually take over the company down the road. We might even see Steve Jobs become a Disney board member, too.

I also would not be surprised if Feature Animation is revived under more hands off management, probably now headed by someone who has worked for a long time in that department (I vote for Don Hahn to head Feature Animation! ).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.