Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

More "curious" movie taglines

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

There was a thread a while back with some hilarious movie taglines. I did a search and couldn't find it. But I heard another rather curious one recently that I couldn't help but laugh at. For "The Perfect Score", they announce in the commercials "From the director of 'Varsity Blues'". Is this really supposed to get us in the theaters faster? I know "The Perfect Score" is also geared towards a younger audience. But "VB" was hardly a commercial or critical success. With only $52 million at the box-office and more bad reviews than good. Also, you don't see too many people talking about this film around here. Any other laughable taglines since that last thread?
Old 01-29-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Naked Gun 2 1/2: "From the brother of the director of Ghost"

Volcano: "The Coast is Toast"
Old 01-29-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: More "curious" movie taglines

Originally posted by Daytripper
There was a thread a while back with some hilarious movie taglines. I did a search and couldn't find it. But I heard another rather curious one recently that I couldn't help but laugh at. For "The Perfect Score", they announce in the commercials "From the director of 'Varsity Blues'". Is this really supposed to get us in the theaters faster? I know "The Perfect Score" is also geared towards a younger audience. But "VB" was hardly a commercial or critical success. With only $52 million at the box-office and more bad reviews than good. Also, you don't see too many people talking about this film around here. Any other laughable taglines since that last thread?
Ehh, it's that whole MTV Films thing, they always release a movie in January. They typically do fairly well for their budget. Varsity Blues was one of the most popular of these films, so I guess they are trying to get kids into the theater that way. Probably a bad call cause the people who saw Varsity Blues when it came out are now a little too old to want to see The Perfect Score.
Old 01-29-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw The Perfect Score about 8 months ago. It was pretty bad but I got to sit next to Brian Robbins and talk with him for a while and got his autograph. I told him how even though Ready to Rumble and Goodburger got some bad reviews, i really liked them.
Old 01-29-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, so you liked those movies, but hated Perfect Score? It must be worse than I thought.
Old 01-30-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
From the trailer for the upcoming film Highwaymen:

When murder is not an accident, revenge is not a crime.

Isn't the definition of murder "not an accident"?
Old 01-31-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the ads for "perfect score" are odd
"from the producers of Smallville and One Tree Hill"
and the other one advertised the fact that Scarlette Johnaason has a part in it.
Old 02-01-04, 01:08 PM

Re: More "curious" movie taglines

With only $52 million at the box-office and more bad reviews than good.
The only scene I've ever seen from Varsity Blues was the Ali Larter whipped-cream bikini thing. Hell, the movie looked like a masterpiece from that sampling!
Old 02-04-04, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Popcorn...buy a bag, go home...in a box!"
Old 02-04-04, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thirteenth Floor

"Better Than 'The Matrix' "
Old 02-05-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the 5 million grossing perfect score would sell it's soul to make 52 million.
Old 02-06-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Saw another one tonight. A TV commercial for "Under the Tuscan Sun" on video and DVD. "From the studio who brought you 'Sweet Home Alabama' " Huh!? LOL!
Old 02-06-04, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Saw another one tonight. A TV commercial for "Under the Tuscan Sun" on video and DVD. "From the studio who brought you 'Sweet Home Alabama' " Huh!? LOL!
I saw that ad and thought "it's as if they wan't me NOT to see it." Fortunately, after watching it today, I can say that Under the Tuscan Sun more than makes up for the pile of crap that is Sweet Home Alabama.

Anyhoo, though not quite a tagline, I always liked the ad for the first DVD release of Black Hawk Down that exclaimed "loaded with special features!"