DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/343903-beyonce-knowles-johnny-depp-up-superman.html)

Get Me Coffee 01-28-04 02:58 PM

Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman?

http://www.superherohype.com
Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman? Source: Anonymous Wednesday, January 28, 2004

So what's the latest from the Superman casting front?An anonymous source tells Superhero Hype! the scoop on what's going down at Warner Bros. for the new adaptation.

We're still hearing that McG is attached to direct the film, and now our source adds that the studio wants singer/actress Beyonce Knowles as Lois Lane and "Pirates of the Caribbean" star Johnny Depp as Lex Luthor. You read that right... Beyonce Knowles.

No word yet on who they're looking at for the title role, but stay tuned. Let us know what you think of this by posting your thoughts on the SHH! Boards.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

WarnerBros is insane! I think Beyonce is awesome! But as Lois Lane!?!?!!? C'mon! People bitched about the organic web shooters, but imagine if MJ was black?

Also Johnny Depp as Luthor!??!?! WHAT!?!?! Might as well throw him in a pink jumpsuit too!

The more I hear about Superman the more I'm NOT looking forward on seeing it.

Please let Batman be awesome!

devilshalo 01-28-04 03:07 PM

McG will Mc**** up this franchise.. hasn't Warner Bros. learned anything?

Obey The D 01-28-04 03:13 PM

Re: Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman?

Originally posted by White Knight
[url]
WarnerBros is insane! I think Beyonce is awesome! But as Lois Lane!?!?!!? C'mon! People bitched about the organic web shooters, but imagine if MJ was black?

This is as bad if not worse than casting Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in Daredevil.

Maxflier 01-28-04 03:14 PM

If they cast Depp and Beyonce for those parts,I won't even bother seeing the movie.
Not that I have anything against either of them but they do not belong in a Superman movie.

Rogue588 01-28-04 03:14 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
McG will Mc**** up this franchise.. hasn't Warner Bros. learned anything?
Apparently not.

Good thing I still have my Superman Collection.

Oh, and as for Beyonce...remember Daredevil last year? What color was Kingpin?

edit: oops..Obey The D beat me to the Kingpin reference..

Daytrip 01-28-04 03:18 PM

i love Depp, but NO

Kal-El 01-28-04 03:35 PM

NO....NO NO NO NO NO NONO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Rogue588 01-28-04 03:38 PM

umm...yes?

:p

smirnoff 01-28-04 03:42 PM

Superman is a stupid superhero by todays stardards anyways. However, with a great stretch of the imagination I can see it working out. But obstacles like superman's stupid costume, his 1 dimentional personality (despite a secret identity), the obvious fact that he wears no mask and yet nobody recognizes him (even his close friends). Overall its incredibly cheesy, however perhaps younger children perhaps up to 13 or so might enjoy it.

At least Daredevil had more depth of character than Superman. Not that that was a good movie either.

necros 01-28-04 03:52 PM

Actually, I didn't mind michael clark duncan as the Kingpin.. but Beyonce as Lois Lane?

Oh well, may as well make it a double feature with Catwoman

Kal-El 01-28-04 03:57 PM

Originally posted by smirnoff
Superman is a stupid superhero by todays stardards anyways. However, with a great stretch of the imagination I can see it working out. But obstacles like superman's stupid costume, his 1 dimentional personality (despite a secret identity), the obvious fact that he wears no mask and yet nobody recognizes him (even his close friends). Overall its incredibly cheesy, however perhaps younger children perhaps up to 13 or so might enjoy it.

At least Daredevil had more depth of character than Superman. Not that that was a good movie either.

While I very much disagree with your entire post-which could be construed as a threadcrap by the way-I will refrain from rebutting since this is not the place to do it in...

smirnoff 01-28-04 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
While I very much disagree with your entire post-which could be construed as a threadcrap by the way-I will refrain from rebutting since this is not the place to do it in...
Sorry, I know I had nothing good to say. But I say this is the perfect place to "rebut". If not here then where, Its a forum, open to discussion. where everyone pisses everyone off with they opinions.

On a relavant subject: I do find a slight hope in the fact that Depp could be super man, he is a great actor. Beyonce isn't that terrible of an actor, if she has someones coat tails to ride on (IE Mike Myers), I find her quite charming. Probably cause she's hot. So in that regard I think she can manage as Lois.

Trigger 01-28-04 04:20 PM

Great - it's not enough I gotta watch her jiggly fat ass pushin Pepsi down my throat every time I go see a movie - now she's gonna be in em too? Superman better start working out if he's gonna be hefting that drag queen and flying around the city.

Kal-El 01-28-04 04:20 PM

My point was this is a discussion on the HORRIBLE HORRIBLE rumor of casting considerations for the next Superman movie, not the merits-or lack thereof-of Superman as a superhero in today's society. :)

Rogue588 01-28-04 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Great - it's not enough I gotta watch her jiggly fat ass pushin Pepsi down my throat every time I go see a movie...
Even though I can't stand her, I would GLADLY heft her "jiggly fat ass" anywhere...;)

jaeufraser 01-28-04 04:49 PM

I suspect this is BS. If it were true, well...Depp is always a good choice, but Knolwes? For one, she's a bad actress. Two, this is Lois Lane we're talking about...this "let's make them ethnic" thing isn't a good idea... It should be let's pick the best actress for the role. This character is iconic and exetremely well known, shouldn't they try to make her that way? Not some hip hop bad acting mess of an actress who is hot, but isn't going to be a good lois lane.

Color isn't important. Duncan was, imo, a good choice physically for the Kingpin. But he gave a terrible performance and, therefore, imo, was a terrible choice. Beyonce will also give a bad performance and...geesh, this movie has little chance of ever being any good.

fumanstan 01-28-04 05:32 PM

I give Depp the benefit of the doubt here, i see no reason why he couldn't pull it off. Beyonce is just wrong. I enjoyed her in Goldmember, but i can't really picture her doing anything outside that "soul sister" type character. I don't mean to be racist, just how it appears to me. But personally, i thought Michael Clarke Duncan did fine as Kingpin... it was just a poorly written part.

QuiGonJosh 01-28-04 06:06 PM

WB sucks! Who the hell do they have working on this movie! Whoever it is they need to be shot!

devilshalo 01-28-04 06:10 PM

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
WB sucks! Who the hell do they have working on this movie! Whoever it is they need to be shot!
And to think we all thought it would be a lot better once Jon Peters got out of the project. :(

PalmerJoss 01-28-04 06:13 PM

Um, no. I don't have much of a problem with Johnny Depp, as I think he is extremely versatile and could pull it off given the right material. Beyonce, on the other hand, is no Lois Lane, not by any stretch.

On another note, has there been any further word on the casting of Supes himself? Last I remember, Brendan Fraser and Matthew Bomer were the front runners.

QuiGonJosh 01-28-04 06:21 PM

Can't they just hire Avi Arad?

RyoHazuki 01-28-04 06:33 PM

Why is everyone crapping their pants about this? Havent we heard pretty much every actor/actress who has been featured in a motion picture from 1980-2003 been mentioned for a part in superman?

Rypro 525 01-28-04 06:34 PM

I enjoyed Duncan as Kingpin (and even thought he did a fine job), although many would say that I am biast for liking daredevil.

Get Me Coffee 01-28-04 07:31 PM

Re: Re: Beyonce Knowles & Johnny Depp Up for Superman?

Originally posted by Obey The D
This is as bad if not worse than casting Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin in Daredevil.
NO WAY!

Birrman54 01-28-04 10:41 PM

Depp is awesome, I'm not sure he's right for superman, but he might pull it off. Beyonce singlehandedly (IMO) ruined Goldmember, and she'd do the same for Superman.

Singer != actor.

birrman54