Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Samurai:THE movie that GOT BEAT in 2003...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Samurai:THE movie that GOT BEAT in 2003...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...I guess thats part of the reason me and my best friend love this movie to death is because we are Samurai junkies and have Samurai swords!
Old 01-29-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just saw the movie last night.. i have to tell you.. i liked it. As far as entetainment value..i think it was on par with Braveheart..
Even though the movie lasted 2.5 hours i was not bored at any time.. and was pleasantly supprised overall.
Saying all of this.. i completely agree with the original poster on what this movie lacks. I also agree that it was not award worthee. It was way oversimplified to please the avg viewer.
But you have to understand.. its just one way to tell a story.. To go in to the details of Samurai life and pros and cons.. would be whole other movie on to itself. Yes, they portraid the story form one perspective.. to portray it from another perspective would be a completely different film.
In contrast this it the type of film i expected to see in Master and Commander and was very disapointed. The film dragged and i cought myself looking at my watch over and over again.. as well as noticing every imperfection in the theater seating.
Old 01-29-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Yeah...I guess thats part of the reason me and my best friend love this movie to death is because we are Samurai junkies and have Samurai swords!
I don't get this. I'm a samurai JUNKY, as are some other people I know & we all hated the movie. I don't see how if you are a huge fan of Samurai movies, novels, the genre in general, how this movie is enjoyable to you. It does nothing but hit every cliche in the book, sheading no new light on the subject, with sword fights & true passion for the Samurai way being displayed a MILLION times better in other movies.
Old 01-30-04, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Sessa17
I don't get this. I'm a samurai JUNKY, as are some other people I know & we all hated the movie. I don't see how if you are a huge fan of Samurai movies, novels, the genre in general, how this movie is enjoyable to you. It does nothing but hit every cliche in the book, sheading no new light on the subject, with sword fights & true passion for the Samurai way being displayed a MILLION times better in other movies.
I 100% agree, I love Samurai pictures too and felt that The Last Samurai was too watered down and drew more of its influence from American westerns then from the Japanese Samurai genre. How can a Samurai fan love this movie? "Like" it maybe, but love it?
Old 01-30-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Here comes the BO police....

The film has made over $300 million worldwide (and still going strong) and is outpacing ROTK in many foreign markets. It's a HUGE hit in Japan, too.

The film will end up very profitable for WB, but yeah, in terms of expectations I would imagine WB being slightly let down. This was primed as Oscar-bait and didn't quite get there.

However, I'll take TLS over a piece of crap like Seabiscuit any day.
Old 01-30-04, 12:23 PM

I said it in the other thread..

I loved this movie, VERY MUCH.

I wish it would have more fans and more people see how great it is.

And comparing it to "Kill Bill"is just not right.."Kill Bill" is a completely different kind of movie, directed by a completely different kind of director, and a completely different purpose...violence, fight scenes, and gore are what KB movies will be about..it is a revenge plot with lots of love and unbelievable main character [come on, am I supposed to believe some girl with a sword can kill so many people just becsause she hates some guy?]

And as for "competition" from LOTR, that's just fanboyism...the fight scenes in LS to me were very eloquent and artful, while LOTR is just a violence and gore with a bunch of flimsy mythology...

I am just biased though..and have no taste.
Old 01-30-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Considering that this film was a huge hit in Japan, would it be because of the Samurai subject or because of K.Watanabe? Maybe it's just the critic in us that sees the Hollywood cliches of the movie, but it's certainly noteworthy to see that almost all of the people in Japan who've seen the movie give it a veryt favorable response.

Reason for this is that my friend who is in Tokyo saw it in a theatre and the audience applauded after the film. Considering the Japanese filmgoers are known to be quite stoic and subdued, this certainly says something.
Old 01-30-04, 05:54 PM
Banned

Well...sorry that the other Samurai junkies didnt like the flick...but I loved it...

And comparing LS ro KB is just idiotic...they are not even in the same genre...or type of film...the only thing they have in common is the hero wields a Samurai sword...
Old 01-30-04, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by sararekuforever

Old 01-30-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cardiac161
Considering that this film was a huge hit in Japan, would it be because of the Samurai subject or because of K.Watanabe? Maybe it's just the critic in us that sees the Hollywood cliches of the movie, but it's certainly noteworthy to see that almost all of the people in Japan who've seen the movie give it a veryt favorable response.

Reason for this is that my friend who is in Tokyo saw it in a theatre and the audience applauded after the film. Considering the Japanese filmgoers are known to be quite stoic and subdued, this certainly says something.
the movie was huge in Japan b/c of Tom Cruise. The Japanes worship the big American stars more than Americans do. It has nothing to do with the quality of the movie. It was the Cruise factor.
Old 01-30-04, 10:59 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: The Last Samurai:THE movie that GOT BEAT in 2003...

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

A great deal of effort goes into romanticizing the Japanese warrior's code, Bushido. But the director apparently feels the need to spell out everything for the audience. There is no attempt to let us draw our own conclusions, or to let us figure stuff out on our own. If a warrior spends time trying to write a poem about Cherry blossoms and then sees them as he dies, he will mention them and what they mean. Apparently the possibility of some poor shlub paying his $8 and not getting the point was just too much for the film-makers to risk. As a result, a movie which would be best served by subtlety has none.

so what exactly was the point of seeing blossoms as he dies? his life/poem is complete?
Old 01-31-04, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

I'll take it over Master and Commander any day.
AGREED.
Old 01-31-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by sararekuforever

Won't argue with you there dude.
Old 01-31-04, 03:43 PM

That's cool, you have all 3 LOTR movies and pre ordered KIll Bill Vol. 1?
Old 01-31-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, waiting for Best Buy for Kill Bill, and ROTK is still in theatrical release, you know that!

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 02-01-04 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-17-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Last Samurai has made
$405 million worldwide
as of Feb. 16.

Not too shabby in the long run.

*info courtesy of box office mojo
Old 02-17-04, 07:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
Please stand by for the DVDTalk "Grossly Inflated Box Office Police" who will be here shortly. They've read all the propaganda off of studio web sites and fan sites and will put you in your place about how TLS actually made 400 million dollars world wide.
What's that I hear?
Old 02-18-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass whether a movie gets 0 Oscar nominations or 20 or whether a movie makes $200 million or half a million at the box office. I don't judge a movie on such a superficial level. The movie wasn't perfect but it was beautifully shot with a very interesting story and interesting characters. A great way to spend an afternoon.
Old 02-18-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I find interesting is that a lot of people who point to the worldwide grosses of Last Samurai as evidence that it is not a flop would be the first to point to the lackluster numbers of Matrix Revolutions on the domestic front in order to label it a flop.

I guess that I am in the minority in that I liked Revolutions. Which made a bit more domestically than TLS as well.
Old 02-18-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
What I find interesting is that a lot of people who point to the worldwide grosses of Last Samurai as evidence that it is not a flop would be the first to point to the lackluster numbers of Matrix Revolutions on the domestic front in order to label it a flop.

I guess that I am in the minority in that I liked Revolutions. Which made a bit more domestically than TLS as well.
The only reason people trash The Matrix is because it had everything in the world going for it, promotions out the *&^ and the like.

It had two films before it do very well.

TLS certainly is not aimed at your teen audience, if the 30 and over crowd didn't go out and see it then it's not going to make as much.
Old 02-20-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
The Last Samurai has made
$405 million worldwide
as of Feb. 16.

Not too shabby in the long run.

*info courtesy of box office mojo

Yes, I just saw that too. Not too shabby? That's AMAZING!
Old 03-23-04, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Last Samurai has made $450 million worldwide
as of Sunday, March 21.

Not too shabby in my book.

Plus, DVD sales are going to go through the roof in May when it's released.
Old 03-23-04, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am Japanese and I feel that TLS does more to honor Japanese people than any other Hollywood movie made by non-Japanese people.

I think the movie does well in putting you in the shoes of a foreigner and helping you along in understanding the Japanese ways. I think how it portrayed Katsumoto as a fierce warrior who would die for his honor but yet is intelligent and has a way with words.

Sure, it has its cliches and some work and some don't. But, this movie is close to my heart because it understands the Japanese traditions.
Old 03-23-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

jarofclay's post seems to be quite accurate in terms of how the Japanese audience viewed The Last Samurai.

I personally have more than few Japanese friends who are under a work visa here in Vancouver and all of them loved TLS...more than Kill Bill and more than Lost in Translation. I would assume that Last Samurai theme of pride and honor goes much better than the vengeance motto of Kill Bill or the "love in a foreign land" scenario of Lost in Translation.
Old 03-23-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
A few of us watched it in the hotel last week. It was okay, but cliched in too many scenes. We caught ourselves mocking it in a few scenes. The worst part of the movie was definitely Tom Cruise.