Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fountain - Aronofsky

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fountain - Aronofsky

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by iggystar
I've been waiting for so long, seen the trailer a million times, it's R, it's PG-13, Entertainment Weekly had it in seasonal movie guide eight seasons ago.....am I being set up for a let down?
Well, speaking for myself, from what I've read, this should be the type of flick I'll just love, but for some reason I can't bring myself to get excited. Hopefully, it will help me to not get my expectations too high for when I do see it.
Old 11-13-06, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw it in Toronto and people didn't boo at the credits but there was certainly laughter.
Old 11-13-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw it in Chicago and audienced applaused as they typically do at film festivals - but the chatter as people walked out of the theater and back to wherever they came back from wasn't out of this world. It wasn't negative, but it wasn't out of this world.

It's nothing to get geektastic about.
Old 11-13-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman
Did anyone notice it was re-rated to PG-13? Since I remember the R only being for 'some violence' I doubt much was cut. I can understand though, given the film's already limited audience.
Yeah that took my by suprise when I saw a TV spot today given that all other ads I've seen has had the film labeled as R. Although I know a rating doesn't indicate the quality of the film but I find it troubling that they had the rating changed at the last minute. It just feels as if the studio knows they have a stinker on their hands and are trying to cut their losses.
Old 11-14-06, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah that took my by suprise when I saw a TV spot today given that all other ads I've seen has had the film labeled as R. Although I know a rating doesn't indicate the quality of the film but I find it troubling that they had the rating changed at the last minute. It just feels as if the studio knows they have a stinker on their hands and are trying to cut their losses.
Except for a one or two scenes, there isn't much that would qualify this is an R. A couple of scenes of violence might have been trimmed, but they wouldn't change the meaning or tone of the movie. Its a difficult movie to sell as it is, why make it harder by making it R.
Old 11-15-06, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got to see this last Friday and it's easily the best film I've seen this year. All I ask is that you don't go into it looking for a sci-fi film. Do that, and I hope you'll be happy. It's the most moving film I've seen in a long time.

As for it being changed from R to PG-13, Aronofsky was asked about this at the junket I was at on Saturday. He said that absolutely none of the violence was changed at all. When asked what happened, all he would say was that there were negotiations to get it down to a PG-13.

Probably the best thing I can say is that it moved me just as much as Requiem for a Dream. That film not only had the performances, but the visual onslaught that would have made it NC-17 had it not been release unrated by Artisan. He makes a film that's just as moving (if not more) in a film that's PG-13. I know that ratings really don't mean squat, but I think that's a farily significant move forward for Aronofsky.
Old 11-15-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is the first movie I have actually wanted to see in a long time. Thanks for the short preview.
Old 11-15-06, 06:32 PM
Banned

I have been eagerly awaiting this flick, but it is getting shafted on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't always let reviews determine what movies I see, but when Rotten Tomatoes dips into Rotten, it makes me think twice.
Old 11-16-06, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
I have been eagerly awaiting this flick, but it is getting shafted on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't always let reviews determine what movies I see, but when Rotten Tomatoes dips into Rotten, it makes me think twice.
There's no question, this film is going to polarize people. The critics I saw it with (one of which being Devin at CHUD) for the most part loved and adored it. However, there were probably about 10 critics who immediately got up and walked out as soon as the credits began to roll. I talked to one who didn't like it near as much as I did and he said that the problem he had was that there were no "signposts" in the film and it was on you to keep up. There's nothing wrong with that opinion. I thought it was very frank and honest and I'm sure he won't be the only one with that opinion.
Old 11-16-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mink-e
TI talked to one who didn't like it near as much as I did and he said that the problem he had was that there were no "signposts" in the film and it was on you to keep up.
I say screw signposts. More often than not they are only something to spoonfeed the audience.

I absolutely love movies like Memento, Blue Velvet, Rumble Fish and -if I dare mention that- 2001. And none of them talked down to their audience.
Old 11-16-06, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Grubert
I say screw signposts. More often than not they are only something to spoonfeed the audience.

I absolutely love movies like Memento, Blue Velvet, Rumble Fish and -if I dare mention that- 2001. And none of them talked down to their audience.
I'm right there with you. The reviewer also said that this film was probably not made with his generation in mind.
In regards to the Tomato Meter, I think it's worth noting that at least with everyone at the screening I was at, none of us are allowed to even post reviews until the 22nd. I think it's absolutely idiotic because it right now people look at the meter and think about skipping it when a good chunk of good reviews are already written (mine is) and ready to post, but we can't.
Old 11-16-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This will be the first movie I'm going to the theater for in about six months.
Old 11-16-06, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mink-e
In regards to the Tomato Meter, I think it's worth noting that at least with everyone at the screening I was at, none of us are allowed to even post reviews until the 22nd. I think it's absolutely idiotic because it right now people look at the meter and think about skipping it when a good chunk of good reviews are already written (mine is) and ready to post, but we can't.
I guess I will have to check back on the 22nd and see how it is doing. Don't get me wrong, I will be seeing this movie either way - but whether that will be on the big screen on in my home will be decided by the reviews. Its way too expensive to go to the theaters these days and be disappointed (general statement, not related to this particular film).
Old 11-17-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to an advance screening tonight and I might've been the only person who came out liking it.

It might actually put Soderbergh's remake of Solaris to shame with the amount of walk outs this film can provide.
Old 11-17-06, 05:33 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by clemente
I saw it in Chicago and audienced applaused as they typically do at film festivals - but the chatter as people walked out of the theater and back to wherever they came back from wasn't out of this world. It wasn't negative, but it wasn't out of this world.

It's nothing to get geektastic about.

I haven't see this or anything but tbh the trailer is far from inspiring if you really think about it. A bit of forevernes - time moving around. I get the impression it will be one of those movies where you don't really care what happens or about the character about 3/4 of the way through
Old 11-21-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Interview with Jackman and Weisz:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17541
Old 11-21-06, 09:32 AM

We also covered it at our podcast on the FirstShowing.net Hypecast. It pretty much covers the same material as the Coming Soon article. We just run the audio from the roundtables.

Also, should the above link be considered inappropriate pimping of one's own site, I'll delete this post.
Old 11-21-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Interesting that someone brought up Solaris as a comparison. That was another movie that actually attempted to be a serious piece of Sci-fi and wound up flopping. Furthermore, it was released at the exact same time, the Wednesday before T-giving. I saw Solaris its first day and while glad I saw it, almost fell asleep several times. This movie looks like it won't be as boring, but I know that any movie attempting to be real sci-fi (i.e. not Star Wars or Independence Day) runs a risk of giving me the nappies. I honestly feel that if 2001 were released now it would not be a hit in the slightest, as most younger people I know who see it out hearing all about it find it boring.
Old 11-21-06, 05:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Interesting that someone brought up Solaris as a comparison. That was another movie that actually attempted to be a serious piece of Sci-fi and wound up flopping. Furthermore, it was released at the exact same time, the Wednesday before T-giving. I saw Solaris its first day and while glad I saw it, almost fell asleep several times. This movie looks like it won't be as boring, but I know that any movie attempting to be real sci-fi (i.e. not Star Wars or Independence Day) runs a risk of giving me the nappies. I honestly feel that if 2001 were released now it would not be a hit in the slightest, as most younger people I know who see it out hearing all about it find it boring.

fuck younger people and their shitty taste in film
Old 11-21-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I went to an advance screening tonight and I might've been the only person who came out liking it.

It might actually put Soderbergh's remake of Solaris to shame with the amount of walk outs this film can provide.
So...for those who have seen The Fountain...is it as dull as Solaris? (and that can refer to the original or the remake which are both snoozers)
Old 11-22-06, 12:01 AM
Cool New Member

:WTF:
Old 11-22-06, 12:07 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think people want fantasy/sci-fi instead of a exitentialist love story.

I like Aronofsky because he makes films that no one is making. That's why I'll see this one.
well, it goes to the point that when you make a film for everybody, you're really making it for nobody. generally, any film made for a smaller audience with a narrower appreciation is going to be infinitely more rewarded by it than a flick with broader aspirations that usually start and end with "entertainment value".

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So...for those who have seen The Fountain...is it as dull as Solaris? (and that can refer to the original or the remake which are both snoozers)
jeezus. lucky for you i was raised not to mock the blind.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 11-22-06 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-22-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I actually prefer the remake of Solaris over that of the original, but I know I am in the minority on that decision. I liked the original, but I love the remake.

Spoiler:
The Fountain is similar to that of Soderbergh's Solaris as both are ultimately tragic love stories with elements of sci-fi to them. However, The Fountain is three times more depressing than Solaris due to the nature of the story.
Old 11-22-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by whynotsmile
fuck younger people and their shitty taste in film

Well, I wouldn't be that harsh. But yeah, their taste lacks. As long as a movie like The Departed can make good money, then there is still hope. I have a feeling this movie will fare worst out of all new releases today, even the one with Ferris Bueller and Charlotte.
Old 11-22-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I have a feeling this movie will fare worst out of all new releases today, even the one with Ferris Bueller and Charlotte.
I think it will do better than For Your Consideration.

But honestly, that Christmas movie is just a family cash-in for people who already saw Santa Clause 3 and don't want to see Penguins.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.