Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fountain - Aronofsky

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fountain - Aronofsky

Old 05-29-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just caught this on Blu-ray...beautiful film. I didn't quite understand everything, but amazing nonetheless. I'll be thinking about this one for some time to come...
Old 06-07-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by slop101
I absolutely LOVED this movie - it hit me in both the head and the heart like a sledgehammer.

I just don't understand why it has such mixed reviews. I personally found it to be rather straight forward, and easy to follow and understand. Sure, it's not for the average weekend movie-goer, but it's not nearly as obtuse and impregnatable as something by Antonioni or Tarkovsky - I'd love to see the same people who's reactions were "what the hell" or "I didn't get it so no one should" sit through Stalker.

But I actually understand this reaction from the m(asses). What I don't understand is the greatly mixed reactions from critics who usually go for cinema that's a bit different from the norm.
Well, very well said.

Well the average movie goer likes cookie cutter type movies (like my Dad, buddy at work) where you don't have to think, and have any real emotion, just be entertained. My Dad hated Children Of Men, he didn't really "get it" and my buddy hated The Fountain because he didn't really "get it" either. Thats cool though, they are the type of people who love Harold & Kumar, Anger Management and Norbit. Thats no problem with me, they are entitled to there opinion, I just wish they would find a movie with some deeper meaning and emotion they could really sink there teeth in.

Just watched this on HD DVD via Netflix and I loved the movie, I didn't get everything the first time through but it helped reading peoples thoughts about the movie helped fill in the blanks. Well acted, the visuals were amazing, the score was great, the story was interesting and heart felt, and ya I got a little teary at times, but hey, not everybody will have the same reaction. 9/10
Old 06-13-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw it on HD DVD.

I must be a total sap because I felt absolutely depressed and emotional throughout the film. Good thing I saw it alone because I would've felt weird if my wife saw me crying all throughout the movie. My father is going through a health crisis as well and I totally understood what the main characters were going through.

Loved the movie...but I don't know if I can watch it again. Kudos to Aronofsky though for making such a brave film.
Old 06-13-07, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiac161
Just saw it on HD DVD.

I must be a total sap because I felt absolutely depressed and emotional throughout the film. Good thing I saw it alone because I would've felt weird if my wife saw me crying all throughout the movie. My father is going through a health crisis as well and I totally understood what the main characters were going through.

Loved the movie...but I don't know if I can watch it again. Kudos to Aronofsky though for making such a brave film.
This goes back to a comment I made earlier. I really think one's level of connection to this film will be directly related to their personal experiences in life with illness, loss and death.
Old 06-13-07, 05:44 PM
Banned

I completely agree
Old 06-13-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This goes back to a comment I made earlier. I really think one's level of connection to this film will be directly related to their personal experiences in life with illness, loss and death.
I really haven't had to deal with any of that stuff, and this movie still hit me hard! Very well done...
Old 06-13-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I really haven't had to deal with any of that stuff, and this movie still hit me hard! Very well done...
I guess I should amend my comment by saying you don't HAVE to have had that kind of experience to connect with the film. It's a just theory of mine that might explain why some feel no connection to what happens in the film.

Just rambling now....
Old 06-14-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Just caught the HD-DVD from Netflix. A really excellent film. I thought the transitions between the 3 time periods could've been handled smoother, but were well done nonetheless. I'm not sure how much replay value this has; but it will make you think for a long while.
Old 06-14-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saw it and loved it. I didn't think the score was all that great, but the tone the movie set was superb. I will watch it again.
Old 06-14-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mmconhea
I didn't think the score was all that great..
Must.. respect.. person's right.. to.. own opinion.
Old 06-14-07, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't buy a lot of scores, but I sure did buy Clint Mansell's score for "The Fountain".
Old 06-14-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Must.. respect.. person's right.. to.. own opinion.
Old 06-14-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
I don't buy a lot of scores, but I sure did buy Clint Mansell's score for "The Fountain".
Ditto. I buy a score maybe once a year, if that. Got this one immediately after seeing the film.
Old 06-17-07, 12:09 AM

I enjoyed it quite a bit - but I'm not going to be elitist like most of you in here and call america stupid because the majority of people didn't like it.

To each their own.
Old 06-17-07, 06:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to be extra elitist to make up for your lack of elitism and say the universe is stupid because the majority of people didn't like it.
Old 06-17-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm going to be extra elitist to make up for your lack of elitism and say the universe is stupid because the majority of people didn't like it.

Old 06-18-07, 01:02 PM

Thanks for picking up the slack.
Old 06-30-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I just saw this for the first time last night, deciding to give it a rent from X-Box. Wow. Amazing film. I'll be going out this afternoon to buy it on HD-DVD immediately, and might even watch it again tonight. I regret that I waited so long to watch this one.

Probably don't need spoilers anymore, but just in case...

Spoiler:

I've read the earlier explanations that this all took place in the "present day" timeline. The past conquistador timeline was from what Izzy had written in her book, and the future space timeline was from what Tom had written to finish the book. This was my initial reaction when the movie ended as well.

However, after thinking about this movie all last night and all day today ( I love when movies stick with me for so long) I've come to a different conclusion.

I now believe that only the past conquistador scenes were fictional pieces from the book. Present and future scenes were reality.

At the end, when we see future, space Tom meditating in the Mayan temple, I believe this signifies where Tom first begins writing the end of the book. He finally understands that the only way for the book to end is if "he" dies. The conquistador drinks from the tree of life, and dies. That's the end of the book. The future scenes aren't in the book, they aren't fictional. The conquistador did not find eternal life.

At the very end, we see present day Tom drop a seed over Izzy's grave. The seed became a tree, and Izzy became part of that tree which Tom was traveling with in search of the afterlife in the nova.

No, no. Listen, listen. He said that if they dug his father's body up, it would be gone. They planted a seed over his grave. The seed became a tree. Moses said his father became a part of that tree. He grew into the wood, into the bloom. And when a sparrow ate the tree's fruit, his father flew with the birds. He said... death was his father's road to awe. That's what he called it. The road to awe. Now, I've been trying to write the last chapter and I haven't been able to get that out of my head!
Tom really did find the answer to eternal life. He found the fountain of youth, which we saw the beginnings of in his test with the monkey. He really did live forever, until he finally understood the only way to "finish it".

Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our skin and blood, the iron bars of confinement. But fear not. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus, death frees every soul.

That's just the way I'm interpreting it now. I guess either way could be plausible though.
Old 06-30-07, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
So I just saw this for the first time last night, deciding to give it a rent from X-Box. Wow. Amazing film. I'll be going out this afternoon to buy it on HD-DVD immediately, and might even watch it again tonight. I regret that I waited so long to watch this one.

Probably don't need spoilers anymore, but just in case...

Spoiler:

I've read the earlier explanations that this all took place in the "present day" timeline. The past conquistador timeline was from what Izzy had written in her book, and the future space timeline was from what Tom had written to finish the book. This was my initial reaction when the movie ended as well.

However, after thinking about this movie all last night and all day today ( I love when movies stick with me for so long) I've come to a different conclusion.

I now believe that only the past conquistador scenes were fictional pieces from the book. Present and future scenes were reality.

At the end, when we see future, space Tom meditating in the Mayan temple, I believe this signifies where Tom first begins writing the end of the book. He finally understands that the only way for the book to end is if "he" dies. The conquistador drinks from the tree of life, and dies. That's the end of the book. The future scenes aren't in the book, they aren't fictional. The conquistador did not find eternal life.

At the very end, we see present day Tom drop a seed over Izzy's grave. The seed became a tree, and Izzy became part of that tree which Tom was traveling with in search of the afterlife in the nova.

Tom really did find the answer to eternal life. He found the fountain of youth, which we saw the beginnings of in his test with the monkey. He really did live forever, until he finally understood the only way to "finish it".

That's just the way I'm interpreting it now. I guess either way could be plausible though.
I've watched this movie several times in the past week, and I think your explanation is right. I'll take it a bit further, though, and say that other interpretations are wrong. I completely love the film, but I don't think there is much in the way that is ambiguous.
Old 07-17-07, 09:55 AM

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
I finally broke down and went to BBV to rent this since none of the "red box" places had it.

WOW!

Great film.

I share ToddSm66's view of the film. That's how I felt once the movie had ended. I would love to see it again (and since it's a 2-day rental I might).

I thought the acting was great, the score rocked, the visuals were nice, and the weaving back and forth through the timelines were amazing.

Wow. That's all I have to say. Wow.
Old 09-12-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 574 Posts
This movie has its fair share of problems (some scenes were just flatout poorly acted and structured, but they always looked nice) and silliness (the scenes with the tree got more unintentionally hilarious as the film went on.) but I felt it was a very solid movie with a good emotional core.

I also don't see how anyone found it confusing, was actually pretty straight forward.
Old 09-13-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie can be interpreted in many different ways, that's part of the beauty of it...
Old 09-14-07, 08:38 PM

Director's Commentary is now available.
Old 09-15-07, 01:47 AM

Thanks EEz28. I wanted to save it from the page on Aronofsky's site, but I don't have quicktime pro and didn't know how to find the path that you posted.
Old 09-15-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EEz28
Director's Commentary is now available.
thanks EEz28!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.