DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Anyone else hearing good word of mouth on The Butterfly Effect? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/343276-anyone-else-hearing-good-word-mouth-butterfly-effect.html)

The Nature Boy 01-25-04 11:19 AM

Anyone else hearing good word of mouth on The Butterfly Effect?

As a rule, I generally avoid January releases, I know that's when the crap gets rolled out. And also feeling pretty safe in avoiding Kutchermania, I had no interest in this one.

But I've had 2 very different people come up to me absolutely raving about the film. And I do actually kind of respect their opinion. I haven't read much about it, but I was wondering if anyone else is hearing "buzz" on this?

Groucho 01-25-04 11:23 AM

32% Rotten

Sessa17 01-25-04 11:28 AM

Can't say I have & I'm dying to see something in the theater. I can't stand Ashton Kootcher but if I heard good things from friends I'd probably break down & see it. They've all said what the trailers showed to me. The movie is just typical & bland. It's not horrible but it's nothing special either. So I'll still pass.

Patman 01-25-04 11:36 AM

I got a litttle bored with this film. It putt-putts along, sort of a fusion between "Groundhog Day" and "The Outer Limits" with none of the charm, and it just scratches the surface of a fertile premise.

The only thing good about Kutcher's performance is that he keeps it ground, no silly smirks or comical outburst from his TV background shows up. Otherwise, any decent young actor could have done this role.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Pants 01-25-04 11:37 AM

Anyone else hearing good word of mouth on The Butterfly Effect?

Not on this board

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=342424

Corvin 01-25-04 11:43 AM

It isn't great word of mouth, but I know a couple people (especially in the thread Pants just linked included) are under the impression that the critics were overly-harsh.

It isn't complete trash, but it isn't competing for a top ten spot, either.

That's my take on it.

Birrman54 01-25-04 12:42 PM

I saw it, it's not the best movie ever made, but it's far from being the worst. I think the critics just enjoyed bashing Kutcher. At times the plot seems very stretched, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews make it out to be.

birrman54

DVDHO 01-25-04 02:40 PM

Nothing special but the critics IMO are wrong again,it wasnt nearly as bad as the reveiws made it out to be.

zero 01-25-04 02:41 PM

Saw it last night and it was a lot better than expected. I wasnt too sure if Ashton could pull off something like this and he did a very good job. I know its hard but you gotta put his previous works aside when watching this. I will be buying the DVD when its released.

Deftones 01-25-04 06:11 PM

It got really good reviews in the local paper here in Phoenix, which is very surprising. Typically the guy hates mosts movies.

Tony Dvdfan 01-25-04 11:38 PM

I went into this movie grudgingly (i'm very far from a Kutcher fan), and i must say i was very pleasantly surprised. As earlier mentioned, Kutcher did a great job in this engrossing and suspenseful work, far from his usual antics.
I would recommend this movie, especially considering the serious lack of other movies to see right now.

Flynn 01-26-04 01:17 AM

Everyone I work with loved the movie when they saw it this weekend. Everyone thought Ashton Kutcher did a really good job. Guess I'll have to see it before it leaves town.

Supermallet 01-26-04 02:56 AM

The best critical review I saw was Ebert's (I know a lot of people think he's insane or senile or what have you, but I enjoy his writing), who basically summed it up by saying, "The Butterfly Effect is enjoyable up to a point. Unfortunately, that point is reached before the film ends."

In other words, just okay.

syphon00 01-26-04 11:15 AM

maybe it's just me but I can't stand the typical hollywood time wrapping crap
maybe I'm reading too much into the whole time-space continuum and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
but I guess I'm some how convinced that the so called Time Travel is impossible

Ghery 01-26-04 12:05 PM

I wasn't that excited to go see it, but I didn't feel like staying at home on Saturday when my friends went to go see it. I was quite surprised, I really enjoyed the movie and think it was well done. I'll definitly be adding it to my DVD collection when it is released.

mljones99 01-27-04 11:44 PM

I saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. Not Oscar worthy by any means but I was very surprised by Ashton Kutcher in this film.

Josh H 01-28-04 10:54 AM

Originally posted by DVDHO
Nothing special but the critics IMO are wrong again,it wasnt nearly as bad as the reveiws made it out to be.
It seems like more or less a popcorn flick, and critics are always overly harsh on them as it seems like they hold everything up to oscar standards, rather than just judging them for what they are (i.e. comparing them to other films in the genre.)

Thus, for these types of film I only look at word of mouth, which has been mixed.

movielib 01-29-04 07:01 PM

I saw The Butterfly Effect today and you can mark me down as another who thought this was a decent, entertaining film. I truly do not understand the pure hatred most critics seem to have for it.

DVD007 01-30-04 02:13 AM

I also enjoyed this movie...It was worlds ahead of that Crap known as Once Upon a Time in Mexico.....

Bruce

thegame370 02-01-04 11:48 PM

Originally posted by movielib
I saw The Butterfly Effect today and you can mark me down as another who thought this was a decent, entertaining film. I truly do not understand the pure hatred most critics seem to have for it.
Mark me down as well, just saw it over the weekend and i enjoyed it a great deal. As for Ashton Kutcher, he was pretty good in this movie, ofcourse anyone could've pulled that part off i think, but for what the critics have been saying about him, i think is too much.

Fok 02-02-04 12:34 AM

This movie was actually quite good, although I had to try hard at first to stop thinking the character wasn't Kelso.

Scot1458 02-05-04 08:48 AM

Originally posted by movielib

Saw it last night. It was pretty darn good. I have no idea who Aston Kutcher or whatever his name is. I've never heard of him except something with Demi Moore.

But while the film isn't a classic like Donnie Darko or Session 9, it was done pretty good and had me interested. Don't know why people hate it.

breaux124 02-10-04 09:02 AM

Watched it last night. I'm not sure what all the bad reviews are about. This movie pretty good and really entertaining.

I liked it and think it's definately worth a watch. I don't like trusting other's opinions for movies and I'm glad I didn't in this case.

It's not on the level of more thought provoking movies (Donnie Darko, Mulholland drive, etc), but it kept me entertained the entire time I was watching it.

mdc3000 02-10-04 09:51 AM

I really really enjoyed it. I thought it was taut and well executed. Highly entertaining and stylized. Probably the best thing out right now and I will certainly be picking up the DVD when it's released.

MATT