Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies use too much CGI?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movies use too much CGI?

Old 01-25-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 694 Likes on 505 Posts
Perfect Storm, Twister and Master & Commander. Way too much CGI.. I mean there are oceans and tornadoes in real life out there y'know. Hello?
Old 01-25-04, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
third has some scenes that remind me of Matrix: Reloaded, though (i.e. - Legolas and the Oliphaunt)
You're obviously forgetting the horrible looking wolves of isengard scene in Two Towers and the cave troll scene in FOTR. The CG humans in the Matrix still looked better than the ones in LOTR.
Old 01-25-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Episode 1 and 2. It's laughable.
Old 01-25-04, 01:20 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
It looks like the upcoming Van Helsing is going to overuse CGI.
Isn't that from the same director as the Mummy films (Stephen Sommers)? If so, I'm not really surprised, although I'm one of the few that thought the CGI was far worse in the first Mummy than in Mummy Returns.
Old 01-25-04, 02:01 PM
Banned

EP1&2 used the FX for what it needed to...mainly creating characters and settings...I see nothing wrong with that...theres no way to create a place like Coruscant in reality without it taking 3 years to build the minature...

Stephen Sommers needs to learn how to use CGI...

And the Matrix CGI easily beats the crap outta the LOTR CGI...but no one beats ILM!
Old 01-25-04, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by beefjerky
You're obviously forgetting the horrible looking wolves of isengard scene in Two Towers and the cave troll scene in FOTR. The CG humans in the Matrix still looked better than the ones in LOTR.
I thought that the cave troll was well done.

Have any suggestion on what they should have done instead?

And yes, there were a few moments in the warg battle in TTT that were bad, but they didn't detract from the movie much at all.
Old 01-25-04, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
I thought that the cave troll was well done.

Have any suggestion on what they should have done instead?

And yes, there were a few moments in the warg battle in TTT that were bad, but they didn't detract from the movie much at all.
I'm talking about Legolas on top of the cave troll. The Cave Troll itself was done pretty well. The warg battle in TTT completely took me out of the movie. It was so jarringly bad.
Old 01-25-04, 02:57 PM
veritasredux

Matrix Reloaded's Neo/Smith battle was awful, like something out of Final Fantasy.

The wargs of TTT were a distant second to the Ents in terms of horrible CGI. Seeing the Ents on the big screen completely killed my enjoyment of this film the first time I saw it. Still trying to fathom how they got those designs past the drawing stage.

Space Cowboys stands out in my memory for some horrific spacewalk CGI scenes that could've easily been done with live action.
Old 01-25-04, 03:05 PM

Episode 2
The Hulk
LXG
Matrix 2 and 3
Old 01-25-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by devilshalo
Perfect Storm, Twister and Master & Commander. Way too much CGI.. I mean there are oceans and tornadoes in real life out there y'know. Hello?
you do realize how hard it would be to put real actors in front of a real tornado, and how challenging and expensive it would be to film out in a real ocean?
Old 01-25-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a sarcasm detector is needed.
Old 01-25-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I think a sarcasm detector is needed.
Agreed . . . check your batteries . . .
Old 01-25-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,061 Posts
Originally posted by DarthVong
Godzilla (American Remake)
Hmm, I actually liked the CGI in the remake. I wish Toho would learn how to do CGI and use it their G movies. The Japanese CGI in G 2000 was ho hum.

The Gamera folks are doing great things with CGI.....
Old 01-25-04, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
And the Matrix CGI easily beats the crap outta the LOTR CGI...but no one beats ILM!
I want what you're smoking!
Old 01-25-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finding Nemo was a bit too over the top for me.
Old 01-25-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Save for the effect in the end of MummyReturns, I would say I don't agree with any of these choices. Maybe I'm the only one, but sometimes I like these types of effects work. Many harp on how they should use physical effects, but we need to realize to create these shots that would be impossible. And as a person who at one time thought the Rancor looked awesome, and that King Kong was simply cool looking (yes, the old one) I am more interested in what it looks like than whether it looks 100% real.

Many have pointed to Star Wars as having too much CGI. I LOVE how the new movies looked. I've never seen such an amazingly detailed rich fantastic environment like that. If you have, tell me what movie...cause it doesn't exist save for CGI. And if I have to choose between something where I have to suspend disbelief, and nothing, I'll suspend my disbelief. If the movie is bad, it's bad...but that doesn't mean Phantom Menace has too much CGI. Perhaps it just has bad acting.

Again, this is my preference. Unless the effect is unfinished or so awful (Air Force One crash landing anyone?) then it really does not bother me. Tell me a good story, make a good movie, and do the best you can...and I'm happy. I'm willing to bet if the Star Wars movies had been GOOD this CGI complaint wouldn't be nearly as apparent.
Old 01-25-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think LOTR uses CGI the best. The new star wars are how you use CGI horrible. The recent matrix films could have done better too.
Old 01-25-04, 11:33 PM

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow....ohhh....wait a minute.....that's not out yet..........
Old 01-26-04, 12:01 AM
Suspended

I would say Finding Nemo uses too much CGI but overall, still good.
Old 01-26-04, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Regurgitator
I would say Finding Nemo uses too much CGI but overall, still good.
Dude, that's the THIRD TIME someone's made that joke.

We GET IT already - all CGI movies, using too much CGI - HAHAHAHA!!!

I agree with jaeufraser-
[rant] In my opinion, the bashing of CGI is a scapegoat for people who have lost the ability to suspend their disbelief in movies, and just want something to point at that gives them justifcation to 'jump out of the movie' and bash it.

Don't tell me the old model work looked perfect back in the day.
Don't tell me that PUPPETS looked better, or more realistic, than CGI in the major movies nowadays.

It's called an imagination, people - some people haven't lost their ability to let themselves be taken away by a special-effects movie.
These same people don't watch movies nowadays for the sole purpose of trying to come up with a unique way of saying "WORST. MOVIE. EVAR!!!1!"
Old 01-26-04, 04:05 AM

definitely SPAWN
Old 01-26-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts
The WORST 2F2F and Torque. If you can not produce the stunt using real cars, don't make shoot the scene. I have read the article w/ the director from Torque, I know he was trying to create hyper-realism, but it is still stupid over the top and most appealing to the lowest J6P.
Old 01-26-04, 12:01 PM

Underworld seems to use a lot of CGI but actually most of the werewolves were guys in suits with animatronics
maybe they used too much CGI enhancement cuz when I saw the movie they looked like complete CGI characters
Old 01-26-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by beefjerky
The warg battle in TTT completely took me out of the movie. It was so jarringly bad.
AGREED! And the whole scene starts off with this embarrasingly bad scene with Legolas running down a slope towards the camera that is terribly green-screened. Not only is he not in the same colour spectrum as his surroundings, but he sports a wonderful full-body halo. Blah.

Pete, you had the grassy hill, you had Orlando, if you couldn't get him and the hill together, leave the scene out!

And while it might not use too much CGI, I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen certainly made overuse of poor CGI. Possibly the worst effects I have seen in a major motion picture in some years.
Old 01-26-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Cusm
The WORST 2F2F and Torque. If you can not produce the stunt using real cars, don't make shoot the scene. I have read the article w/ the director from Torque, I know he was trying to create hyper-realism, but it is still stupid over the top and most appealing to the lowest J6P.
While I agree that both of the films use CG too often, and poorly at that, isn't the purpose of CG to do things that cannot be shot in real life?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.