DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Once Upon a Time in America - Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/342395-once-upon-time-america-question.html)

cseyer 01-20-04 03:07 PM

Once Upon a Time in America - Question

I just watched this and really enjoyed it but was a bit puzzled by the timeline at the end? I mean it ends prior to the start so I guess I didnt catch that, why?

And a side note I didnt understand the garbage truck and the car full of partiers at the end either??

Probably going to watch again shortly but would really appreciate someone else's insight!

garolo 01-20-04 03:36 PM

Re: Once Upon a Time in America - Question

Originally posted by cseyer
I just watched this and really enjoyed it but was a bit puzzled by the timeline at the end? I mean it ends prior to the start so I guess I didnt catch that, why?

And a side note I didnt understand the garbage truck and the car full of partiers at the end either??

Probably going to watch again shortly but would really appreciate someone else's insight!

It's kind of left to your interpretation as to how story ends.
Spoiler:

Is the whole "old age" part Noodle's opium induced dream? Is it really Max that ends up in the maul of the garbage truck? Listen to the commentary and watch the documentary. Then the movie again. Some things will be clearer, some not.

Sorry I didn't really answer your questions but Leone sort of leaves it up to you to interpret. I think there is no wrong or right answer.

cseyer 01-21-04 06:24 AM

Thanks, I have not watched the extra's yet so will do that prior to watching again.

Tommy_Harn 01-21-04 02:31 PM

Rather than start another thread, I'll just ask here . . .

Is this a good blind buy?

DonnachaOne 01-21-04 03:18 PM

Tommy -

no.

I like it, but it's very divisive. Some love it, hail it as a challenger to The Godfather. Some loathe it as directorial masturbation.

I'd rent it first, to be safe, or pick it up as a CH enrollment.

dyerjp 01-21-04 03:21 PM

a challenger to "THE GODFATHER", now that's a bold statement

RyoHazuki 01-21-04 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Rather than start another thread, I'll just ask here . . .

Is this a good blind buy?

No. Not a very good film imo. Good, but not very good. This is probably one of the most overrated movies ever.

garolo 01-22-04 11:57 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Tommy -

no.

I like it, but it's very divisive. Some love it, hail it as a challenger to The Godfather. Some loathe it as directorial masturbation.

I'd rent it first, to be safe, or pick it up as a CH enrollment.

Blind buy? I agree, no. Rent it first. But if any movie can be considered a challenger to the Godfather as the quintessential "Mob" movie (as we know the word mafia is not used in either) it would be [b]Goodfellas[\b] not OUATIA.

Didn't I read somewhere that the Leone was tapped to direct The Godfather but declined to work on OUTITW?

(Sorry, I did mean to hijack the hijack.)

MSD 01-22-04 05:16 PM

A masterpiece of cinema that not all will get so rent it first if you can.